Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group finally got this on to the table tonight. I had watched the videos, read the rules, and did a solo play-through to get a feel for the flow of the game (all of the things I normally do with a new game). My gut instinct said that my group would like this game. Here is what REALLY happened.

Getting a new game to the table with my group is sometimes a chore. They are much more comfortable playing games they already know. I am lucky to get one or two new games to the table each month. I've been bringing Deus to game night now for a couple of weeks... and finally got them to agree to try it.

The rules were pretty easy to explain. There were only a couple of times that I had to refer to a rule that was either forgotten or poorly explained (particularly the rule about using 3VPs to play at any location on the edge of the board).

We played a three-player game (Janie, Q, and me). Janie took an early military strategy with an eye towards building lots of temples. It didn't really work out for her. She did get most of the VPs from the villages, though. Q had a mixed strategy, but didn't build any temples until the very end (only one temple). But he was generating good VPs through his other buildings. I had a mixed strategy as well... but I was depending on my temples to get me a ton of points. It almost worked. I ended up just 6 points behind Q (who won).

Here's what I think...
Our group really likes this one! Even more than I expected! There isn't a lot of direct conflict... but what little there is (stealing gold or VPs using military) was enjoyable for Janie (who likes to punch people in the face... LOL). There are a lot of different resources to keep in balance... so Q really likes that. There is a delicate tightrope to walk to make sure you have the right resources at the right time in the game. There are many paths to victory... and each seems reasonably valid.

All the way around... I will say that this game is a hit (for us)! We should be getting a lot of plays in the coming months!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
I like how you did that.: My gut instinct said the group would like it but here's what really happened.. we really liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.