Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens when all missions are complete, all ships are destroyed except for one Tholian, and none of the players have any cards that can hit the Tholian or be otherwise played legally (e.g., repairing existing damage)? Since there is no way to discard cards and the players are already at hand limit, they can't draw anything new.

The Tholian does no damage to the Enterprise, but the players do no damage to it resulting in a situation where the game cannot be won, lost, or even finished. shake

We came very close to this happening in our first game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that since you are unable to eliminate the threats that you have lost the game and it is not a stalemate. Your crew will all die of starvation eventually in the Tholian web.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked a similar question to the USAopoly reps and they made it clear that there was no mechanism to "discard" unwanted without using them (unless a card says otherwise when you are drawing and picking).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Ouimet
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that we can fire Phasers and hit nothing. I know it's counter to the rules as they say:

"Hit cards are played by matching the exact facing and range that a target threat is in"

which means that you can't play them unless they match exactly. However, we chose to rule that you can fire a weapon at nothing if you want (and not have any effect except that the card is discarded). This sort of simulates the discarding of a card, but, unlike in the original game (where you replace that card immediately), you don't get to replace that card until your next turn.

I think it's a good compromise as I played solo where on the first turn I could not play any cards, which was annoying, and boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim "Dad vs Daughter" Bresnan
United States
Decatur
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We ran into a similar situation where we had beaten 5 missions and had 1 ship left on the board (not a Tholian), and had cards we could not play. We played it such that we still lost cards from the Enterprise deck to boarders, but would use phaser cards so that we could at least draw cards. It took losing half of the Enterprise deck before we were able to get a phaser card we needed to hit and kill the threat.

We consider this a house rule since there is no official way to 'discard' unusable phaser cards. Otherwise this situation is a Kobayashi Maru.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brezman wrote:
We ran into a similar situation where we had beaten 5 missions and had 1 ship left on the board (not a Tholian), and had cards we could not play. We played it such that we still lost cards from the Enterprise deck to boarders, but would use phaser cards so that we could at least draw cards. It took losing half of the Enterprise deck before we were able to get a phaser card we needed to hit and kill the threat.

We consider this a house rule since there is no official way to 'discard' unusable phaser cards. Otherwise this situation is a Kobayashi Maru.

I feel like you may have misplayed this. As soon as the single non-Tholian ship boarded, it would be removed from the board. If you survived, you would win the game immediately at that moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually hit this same situation in my very first game. We just kinda shrugged and said "look through the deck to see if we have anything that could hit the Tholian if we were to draw it. We do? Ok then we win." I guess that's technically wrong, but making it through an entire game and then being unable to finish because of a single Tholian is a super lame design in an otherwise very fun game. I don't normally house rule things, but not doing so here would have caused me to hate the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Tungsten
msg tools
new user
Oph1d1an wrote:
I actually hit this same situation in my very first game. We just kinda shrugged and said "look through the deck to see if we have anything that could hit the Tholian if we were to draw it. We do? Ok then we win." I guess that's technically wrong, but making it through an entire game and then being unable to finish because of a single Tholian is a super lame design in an otherwise very fun game. I don't normally house rule things, but not doing so here would have caused me to hate the game.

See, I think this dilemma actually fits the motif of the Tholian web entirely (whether the game designers intended it or not) - you're not only dead in the water, but per Trek cannon, the web is eventually destructive. . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tholian_Web
<< Spock determines that if the web is completed before repairs are done, the energy field will destroy the Enterprise >>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
azrael67 wrote:
Oph1d1an wrote:

See, I think this dilemma actually fits the motif of the Tholian web entirely (whether the game designers intended it or not) - you're not only dead in the water, but per Trek cannon, the web is eventually destructive. . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tholian_Web
<< Spock determines that if the web is completed before repairs are done, the energy field will destroy the Enterprise >>

Perhaps. But thematic appropriateness does not always translate into fun game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.