Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I do not have a FLGS in my small city, though there are a few in my neighboring cities. I was thinking of heading to the closest one this weekend to pick up Civil War this weekend. But I just saw on their website that they're asking $49.99 for it. Isn't that $10 above list price? Am I being stingy to not want to pay a markup on the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McManus
United States
Saraland
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coolstuffinc.com has it for $29.99, if you order a certain amount you get free shipping. I want to buy has many games has I can so I will save the $20 and buy another game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Belisle
United States
Prosser
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it really depends on what you think of them honestly. I live between 2 stores. One is 45 min away and the other is 30ish. The closer one has a larger selection, and has a ton of cool stuff to geek out over, but they are pretentious hipsters. Certainly no F in FLGS. Their prices were hefty, so I just went to Amazon.

The further store I recently started visiting. It's got a few games, but is more a collectors store (coins, cards, comics, records...). The people there are super nice and down to earth. I have asked them to order some games in for me, knowing I am paying 10-20 more than Amazon. I happily do it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd pay 10 bucks more than I could get online. But OVER MSRP? Pass. Sorry guys, I'll give you my business, but you gotta play ball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Finnegan
msg tools
mb
When I shop online I expect a significant discount from MSRP. When I shop local I expect to pay exactly MSRP. Would happily pay less of course, but not a dime over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't buy it! Seriously now, that's more expensive than I pay for Legendary expansions. I buy them from a local (online-based, but still local) shop for around $46 ($23 for small box expansions). But I live in Romania, so I do not mind the difference from the MSRP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hearing stories like this makes me happy I live in a large city now with an incredible FLGS only about 10 minutes away from my house. A huge selection of games, a bunch of Warhammer tabletop stuff, thousands of Magic cards, a huge open gaming area, and now an arcade with pinball machines and classic games. To my knowledge, they're the only FLGS in Minnesota that does a blanket 15% off of MSRP for all games, everyday. I paid $33.99 for Civil War.

And if you go on a holiday (although they also did this at the end of April for International Tabletop Day) they usually run a 20% off all games sale, bringing the prices can close to CSI or MM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be honest... I'm one of the first people to want to support local business, it's important to the neighbourhood, and to ensure they remain in business. But... in today's economy, who can really fault you for wanting to save $10+?

The way taxes, shipping and everything works around here, what I do is if I have to buy for $100 or less (total), then I'll buy it at my FLGS. If I have to buy for more than $100, then I will buy online, with shipping and the difference in taxes, it ultimately comes out cheaper.

So I try not to look at the individual price of items, but rather the bottom dollar of my entire purchase. This way you can get the best deal, while still (sometimes) supporting your FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Waits
United States
Elizabethtown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they want 125% of retail for a readily available product, they don't deserve the F in FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
--Evil
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
Hearing stories like this makes me happy I live in a large city now with an incredible FLGS only about 10 minutes away from my house. A huge selection of games, a bunch of Warhammer tabletop stuff, thousands of Magic cards, a huge open gaming area, and now an arcade with pinball machines and classic games. To my knowledge, they're the only FLGS in Minnesota that does a blanket 15% off of MSRP for all games, everyday. I paid $33.99 for Civil War.

And if you go on a holiday (although they also did this at the end of April for International Tabletop Day) they usually run a 20% off all games sale, bringing the prices can close to CSI or MM.

LUG woot woot! This is the only place I go to play Magic and/or buy gaming stuff (including Legendary).

--Evil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in a city of 120k or so west of Toronto, and our FLGS has a big emphasis on the F. I have become friends with the owner and the manager, as well as several staff members. It's true that their prices are higher than many other stores, but I usually don't mind paying the difference because of the service I receive, and the excellent environment to be found there. They are women and child friendly, LGBTQ supportive, and it's a genuine pleasure to come in every week for comics and/or games. That being said, sometimes the difference is a tough one to swallow - Civil War was $60, and my guess is that it's $45 or so at other Canadian retailers. (The difference between Canadian and American pricing is inexplicably nightmarish at times.) I have picked up product at other stores from time to time, but in the end I generally stick to my shop because it's the kind of place I can bring my wife and children into and not have them feel awkward or skeevy about being there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knutson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:

What is the name of this store and what city is it located in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
--Evil
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zakk1121 wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:

What is the name of this store and what city is it located in?

Level Up Games, South St. Paul, MN

http://www.levelupgamesmn.com/

--Evil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, i would check it out in person. See what the store is like, see the manager, selection, space, etc. its possible theres a reason why its priced like that on the website, or it could just be a mistake. Check other things that you know the price of, and also take into consideration of the store itself. If its not a store you want to frequent, you shouldnt feel an obligation to purchase from them. However, if you see that they do things that you enjoy and support the community in ways and are helpful, you might find that $10 is worth paying...especially if they help you with other things later on.

For all the great discounts we get from online stores, we need flgs just as much, when ogs go out of stock of popular things, or we're searching for out of print things. If it wasnt for a flgs, i wouldnt have gotten the mansions of madness expansions last weekend, which have been out of print, one of them not even on ebay at the moment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I called them on the phone yesterday. Yes, that's the price they're asking. They said they could come down to about $45, but that the wholesale discount they were able to get was practically nil. This shop is constantly on the margin, cutting back to only being open Thursday-Saturday these days -- their inconvenient hours and high prices are why I don't patronize them more often, despite the fact they're only about a 25 minute drive away.

Other local game stores include one about 45 min away where the owner recently died suddenly, leaving the shop in limbo, and two stores about an hour away. Of those two, one I really like and I've bought some Legendary and Dominion games from them before, but they apparently didn't even know it had been released yet when I called yesterday. The other I haven't tried yet, and it looks like they might have it in stock for about $35. It's just annoying that I'd have to drive right past the first store to drive 2x or 3x as far to get to this one. Not sure if that's worth the extra $10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, they're probably not embellishing a lot. I know of a store or two in my area that also increases the price on Legendary items. Upper Deck doesn't provide the same kind of discount that other publishers provide, apparently. (That's why I asked if other items were over priced)

What you're telling me is generally just...not great. It all depends on how much your time is worth to you, how badly you want to have a closer LGS, and if you ever play other things. Even though it's important to support LGS's, you can't always do it if you don't have the money. So, online options might be best for those in that situation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decided to bite the bullet and pay $45 to get it today.

BTW the owner said that there is no official MSRP on this box, and they had to pay $40 to get it from their distributor. As much as their hours and prices leave a lot to be desired, it is a female-owned, family-friendly shop that is less than 30 min. from my house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.