Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-01/retired-general-war...

If Trump is elected, and follows through on his pledges, retired Marine General John Allen (former top commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan) exclaimed, it would create "a civil-military crisis, the like of which we've not seen in this country before." In other words, the 'passionate Clinton supporter' told ABC, the election of Republican Donald Trump as president could mean a breakdown in the relationship between civilian and military leaders - i.e a coup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brogdon
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RSP in 3...2...1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Harmony, liberal intercourse with all nations, are recommended by policy, humanity, and interest.
mbmbmbmbmb
tod_13 wrote:

If Trump is elected, and follows through on his pledges, retired Marine General John Allen (former top commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan) exclaimed, it would create "a civil-military crisis, the like of which we've not seen in this country before." In other words, the 'passionate Clinton supporter' told ABC, the election of Republican Donald Trump as president could mean a breakdown in the relationship between civilian and military leaders - i.e a coup.

No, not a coup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Why on earth would this be relevant anywhere but RSP? Seriously. We don't bite. I mean if you're into that kind of thing, I'm sure someone might be willing , but...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah, everybody knows that you can't coup the superpowers, regardless of DEFCON.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Moved from Twilight Struggle to the Religion Sex and Politics forum.

This forum is largely unmoderated. If you choose to actively avoid topics of religion, sex, and/or politics or do not want to read or participate in an unmoderated thread please Unsubscribe now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The subject of the article refers to a "civil-military crisis", specifically expressing concern about the possbility of illegal orders. The author transforms this to "a coup". They must be teaching false equivalencies in Right Wing 101 this year.

Ironically, the author began the article "No hyperbole here at all ...."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillary supporter stirring up shit. Nothing to see here, move along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I'm guessing that illegal actions by Hillary wouldn't concern this "passionate Clinton supporter" at all.

I'm guessing the former general has no reason to believe Clinton would order the military to illegally target the families of terrorists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
tod_13 wrote:

"In other words" is an interesting phrase. Sometimes it means, "To clarify what was said," and in other cases it means, "To make up some total bullshit."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I'm guessing that illegal actions by Hillary wouldn't concern this "passionate Clinton supporter" at all.

I'm guessing that is the new right wing tactic. Slandering members of the military that they don't like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zero Hedge, known for its calm and temperate analyses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

I'm guessing that is the new right wing tactic. Slandering members of the military that they don't like.

Should work well for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
actuaryesquire wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

I'm guessing the former general has no reason to believe Clinton would order the military to illegally target the families of terrorists.

If those are the only "illegal actions" you can think of, you need more imagination.

Already Hillary has committed several illegal actions.

Any of those "illegal actions" relevant to the topic, ordering the military to conduct illegal actions?

Your false equivalencies are getting more and more desparate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
This just reminds me of an article on the military satire site Duffleblog:

"‘Military coup’ wins poll of troops in a landslide"

I don't know which got published first.

-M_R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
So is that another nudge, nudge, wink, wink dog-whistle like this one from 2 months ago, just from (going with the hilarious assumption that there is a distinction with a difference here) the other side?

Or just more empty media bloviation full of lunatic frothings because there's nothing of substance to report (and the media abandoned reporting for ratings long ago anyway), like this old thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A military coup is very unlikely in the USA, because it hasn't happened in the 240 years of the USA's history. The military take an oath to support the constitution, not the president. I think very few American officers would seriously consider starting a coup.

Most American politicians actually do respect the democratic process. For example, Al Gore's concession speech in 2000 and Mitt Romney's in 2012, were both good examples of what is right in American democracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4BZcH8bqRk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9uFwFc4NSc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
midnight_reaper wrote:

-M_R

If the troops were in a landslide, how could they be polled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
midnight_reaper wrote:

-M_R

"To poll" means "to cut the horns off". It's easier to get at their horns if they are trapped in a landslide. What did you think we were talking about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
quozl wrote:
midnight_reaper wrote:

-M_R

"To poll" means "to cut the horns off". It's easier to get at their horns if they are trapped in a landslide. What did you think we were talking about?

So what we're talking about is that it took a military coup to dehorn the troops that were caught in a landslide? Is that right? I think we might be missing some vital details here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just put it down as more of that Trump magic. It was a yuuuuge landslide, and it only wiped out disloyal and incompetent troops. Especially generals who support Criminal Hillary and don't support The Donald.

Details are for losers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
Just put it down as more of that Trump magic. It was a yuuuuge landslide, and it only wiped out disloyal and incompetent troops. Especially generals who support Criminal Hillary and don't support The Donald.

Details are for losers.

FACTS are for losers. Believe me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:

Details are for losers.

FACTS are for losers. Believe me.

I know lots of people how use facts; Biiig losers... Big big losers. Fact using Failures. Using facts is a yoooge problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coups are for Chickens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:
A military coup is very unlikely in the USA, because it hasn't happened in the 240 years of the USA's history.

The likelihood of something happening is not affected by it's never having happened before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.