Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dice pool rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dax is
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only 5 dice in the box. Can you have more than 5 dice in a pool for a check? For examples the check is lore+1 and you lore value is 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Niederman
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Yes you can. The rules specify to record the initial die results and to roll up to your dice pool. So you can roll six or seven die if able.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So yet another FFG in which they don't give you enough dice, in a $100 dollar game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure another dice pack will be in the works..!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
So yet another FFG in which they don't give you enough dice, in a $100 dollar game?
How much is enough?
On some occasions you might need over a dozen dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
daxis32 wrote:
There are only 5 dice in the box. Can you have more than 5 dice in a pool for a check? For examples the check is lore+1 and you lore value is 5.

Actually on p. 2 of the rules reference there is a box with 'Component Limitations'. Here it is stated that only Clue, Darkness and Fire are unlimited components. "All other components are LIMITED by the quantities provided." This box should really include dice as unlimited components!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
How much is enough?

I don't remember I ever rolled more than 8

In any case, symbols have the same distribution as on X-Wing dice, so, if you have access to those, you can easily proxy

As for dice packs: it's another thing I asked in the past few months, and got the same answer as per the scenario editor: "start a petition [you know the procedure], if there's enough demand, then the company could consider accepting the request and put those in production"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Scarlet Witch wrote:
In any case, symbols have the same distribution as on X-Wing dice, so, if you have access to those, you can easily proxy

Thanks, was looking for dice anatomy but too lazy to open a thread (hit/crit=success, focus=clue?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:

Thanks, was looking for dice anatomy but too lazy to open a thread (hit/crit=success, focus=clue?)

Yeah, exactly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:

You could have opposed test with that much dice on both sides. The rules say that you roll at the same time.
This sure is a corner case, but it shows that it's not necessarily clear how much is "enough". If you need 8 dice once per 40 tests, does it justify providing 8 dice with the game? For me, 5 is golden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
If you need 8 dice once per 40 tests, does it justify providing 8 dice with the game? For me, 5 is golden.

Your set comes with golden dice - swish!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:

You could have opposed test with that much dice on both sides. The rules say that you roll at the same time.
This sure is a corner case, but it shows that it's not necessarily clear how much is "enough". If you need 8 dice once per 40 tests, does it justify providing 8 dice with the game? For me, 5 is golden.

Exactly. For 98% of all tests, five dice is enough. So as far as I'm concerned, five dice is enough for the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Exactly. For 98% of all tests, five dice is enough. So as far as I'm concerned, five dice is enough for the box.

I politely disagree here; 6 should have been golden (and nope, in my original answer I never considered opposed tests since they are quite a niche of the cases): as soon as you have an investigator with a 5 value stat resolving a +1 test, 5 are absolutely not enough. It's not a biggie, but still, they could have put a couple more dice in the box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

I politely disagree here; 6 should have been golden (and nope, in my original answer I never considered opposed tests since they are quite a niche of the cases): as soon as you have an investigator with a 5 value stat resolving a +1 test, 5 are absolutely not enough. It's not a biggie, but still, they could have put a couple more dice in the box

But how often does that happen? In our games, I'd say that my figure of 2% of the time is about right (one in every fifty dice rolls), so for me, five dice is fine.

But of course, this whole question is very much based on personal preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Edwards
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

But how often does that happen? In our games, I'd say that my figure of 2% of the time is about right (one in every fifty dice rolls), so for me, five dice is fine.

Rolling 6 seemed to happen a lot to me last night with couple of investigators with 5 stats. Personally, I think more dice is always better. Stacks within reach of everyone saves the time wasted going:
'Who's got the other die?'"
"Not me."
"You had them last, Joe."
"Nah, I only used 3."
"Oh. It was me, sorry. It'd rolled behind the box. Didn't see it. Here you go."

Not used more than 6 so far in one role, as it happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Agreed. It happened often to me, tho (possibly because I like specialized characters over characters with all stats averaged? dunno), to be asked to roll 6. Sometimes more than a couple of times per game.

Still, it's not something to lose sleep over

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
How much is enough?

As for dice packs: it's another thing I asked in the past few months, and got the same answer as per the scenario editor: "start a petition [you know the procedure], if there's enough demand, then the company could consider accepting the request and put those in production"

Does that mean the x-wing dice app could be used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Does that mean the x-wing dice app could be used?

Don't have the X-Wing dice app, but I guess the transitive property can be applied here..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magikerendk wrote:
daxis32 wrote:

Actually on p. 2 of the rules reference there is a box with 'Component Limitations'. Here it is stated that only Clue, Darkness and Fire are unlimited components. "All other components are LIMITED by the quantities provided." This box should really include dice as unlimited components!

Except on page 18, Test, 2. Roll Dice, paragraph 2

"If his dice pool is greater than the number of dice available, he rolls as many dice as possible, records the results, and rolls the dice again until he has rolled dice equal to his dice pool."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
Postmark wrote:
magikerendk wrote:
daxis32 wrote:

"If his dice pool is greater than the number of dice available, he rolls as many dice as possible, records the results, and rolls the dice again until he has rolled dice equal to his dice pool."

Yes, but in future prints they should correct that box on page 2. It's the box most people look in when resolving the issue - it is a component limitation issue afterall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:

The game plays with 5 players and they might need to roll 8 dice, so, for me, the ideal number of dice is 40.

For the other big box FFG Lovercraft games, I've added a box of 36 Chessex dice, which seemed a reasonable compromise.

Not sure where to go for extra dice if FFG don't supply them (using the Star Wars dice doesn't work for me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magikerendk wrote:
Postmark wrote:
magikerendk wrote:
daxis32 wrote:

Yes, but in future prints they should correct that box on page 2. It's the box most people look in when resolving the issue - it is a component limitation issue afterall.

I think it's commonly accepted that 'component limitations' refers to running out of tokens or similar which a player is granted by a game effect, or which a game effect places on the board. Given that no player keeps the dice as a resource (unless there is an Insanity condition which reads 'For the remainder of the game, try to hide as many dice as possible from the other players'), and no player places them on the board, dice are not included within 'component limitations'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG confirmed to me that during a Steal Action, both investigators roll dice (and record results because there aren't enough dice), and only THEN start spending Clue tokens or using other effects to try and outdo each other. Once both investigators refuse to convert any more dice results, or re-roll any of their dice, the outcome of the Steal Action is then resolved.

Clearly you're not gonna be performing a Steal Action too often, but it's another example where it might be handy to have more available. Otherwise we may need pen & paper to keep track of that, depending on how complex abilities/card effects make that situation.

I think 6 or 7 dice would have been more appropriate, given the 5-value stats + bonuses.

Not too much of an issue most of the time though... no doubt extra dice packs will become available if they're asked enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.