$30.00
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or the really stupid Trump stunt of the day.

"Despite Donald Trump’s claim of having seen video footage of the $400 million cash delivery to Iran having been acknowledge as false by his own campaign, the Manhattan billionaire kicked off a rally Thursday afternoon by repeating the tall tale.

At a rally Wednesday in Florida, Trump said Iran had captured video of the arrival of the cash payment from the United States, money the Republican nominee alleged was paid to free American prisoners held by the Iranian government despite the Obama administration's insistence there was no quid pro quo arrangement. Trump said he had seen the footage, which he said Iran released to “embarrass us further.”
Story Continued Below

But Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks confirmed to The Washington Post on Wednesday after the rally that the video to which the candidate referred was in fact simple B-roll footage from Geneva aired by Fox News, not a secret Iranian tape. Senior U.S. officials involved in the Iran negotiations told The Associated Press that they were unaware of any such Iranian footage, and Secretary of State John Kerry, at a news conference in Argentina, told reporters, “I obviously haven’t seen it if I am not aware if it.”

Despite all that, Trump once again spoke of the nonexistent footage at his rally Thursday in Portland, Maine. He told the crowd that the money, paid by the U.S. to settle a decades-old dispute over a military equipment order, would end up either funding terrorism or in the pockets of Iranian politicians, and he suggested that the payment was made in a combination of euros, Swiss francs and other currencies because “they probably don’t want our currency.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/donald-trump-iran-mone...

For the love of God, his own campaign admitted there was no "secret footage". Maybe its time to realize that The Donald is not lying so much as living in his own delusional world. So he is actually telling the "truth" as he sees it. It would definitely explain so much. Like the retelling just a few days ago about those 9/11 celebrations in New Jersey, the tape of which nobody has seen, the letter from the NFL he claims to have gotten, but the NFL stated it never sent, and now this "secret Iranian tape" which was actually done by Fox News.

There is a line between lying to get what you want, and being delusional enough to believe it, and it looks more and more like Donald Trump has rocket sledded past it.

Congratulations GOP on trying to give this guy the nuclear codes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The guy has run businesses overall successfully for decades, has raised kids that have turned out successful, has always been a teetotaler, and has no history of erratic behavior in the sense of mental illness. He's just a bombastic dick who's quite good at convincing people to do what he wants.

He's not mentally ill by any stretch of the imagination. What's happening is Clinton's team is finally getting on the ball with how to successfully go after Trump and you're lapping it up. They even got CNN to bring on Dr Drew to tell everyone Trump's not crazy. Which is great move, because now it hardens that suspicion that thinking he might be is a legitimate thing.

I highly, highly recommend Scott Adams' blog for anyone who enjoys cognitive dissonance and the study of manipulation and persuasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.salon.com/2016/06/08/no_joke_dilbert_creator_scot...

Quote:
Adams really, really, really wants you to believe he’s not a Trump supporter, because he knows, on some level, that outing yourself as a Trump supporter is like admitting in public that your mom still pins your address inside your clothes in case you get lost. But, for all that Adams loves to wax on about how he is an expert on the art of persuasion — he even brags about his supposed ability to hypnotize “everyone” — he can’t even manage, despite intense repetition, to convince readers that he wouldn’t lick Trump’s shoes if given the opportunity to do so.

Some phrases that Adams has used to describe Trump:

“If you understand persuasion, Trump is pitch-perfect most of the time. “
“The Master Persuader will warp reality until he gets what he wants….”
“A lot of the things that the media were reporting as sort of random insults and bluster and just Trump being Trump, looked to me like a lot of deep technique that I recognized from the fields of hypnosis and persuasion.”
“Trump has the best persuasion skills I have ever seen.”
“You see apple pie and flags and eagles coming out of his ass when he talks.”

In the real world, Trump has off-the-charts unfavorability ratings, but in the world of Scott Adams, Trump is a svengali of politics, headed for a landslide in November, due to the enormous persuasive power of racist cracks and non sequitur ramblings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Wait! Is that anything like landing under sniper fire in Biosnia? Or one's daughter jogging near the WTC the morning of 9/11? Or some minor video causing an attack on an embassy resulting in a dead ambassador? And what about Top Secret files on home severs? or rigging the convention to foil that Commie from Vermont?

If you're using bombastic claims and surreal lies to declare Trump mentally ill then what about documented lies in the face of video footage and testimony of the FBI Director clearly stating Hitlery lied as some measure of her mental state?

You people, such mutton-headed sheep in thrall to your new Vagina-bearing Overlord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Quote:
Adams really, really, really wants you to believe he’s not a Trump supporter, because he knows, on some level, that outing yourself as a Trump supporter is like admitting in public that your mom still pins your address inside your clothes in case you get lost. But, for all that Adams loves to wax on about how he is an expert on the art of persuasion — he even brags about his supposed ability to hypnotize “everyone” — he can’t even manage, despite intense repetition, to convince readers that he wouldn’t lick Trump’s shoes if given the opportunity to do so.

“A lot of the things that the media were reporting as sort of random insults and bluster and just Trump being Trump, looked to me like a lot of deep technique that I recognized from the fields of hypnosis and persuasion.”

In the real world, Trump has off-the-charts unfavorability ratings, but in the world of Scott Adams, Trump is a svengali of politics, headed for a landslide in November, due to the enormous persuasive power of racist cracks and non sequitur ramblings.

I don't care who he supports, that's the whole point. He's said that he probably would do better under Trump policies, absolutely, being part of the 1%. But it's sad that you can't recognize someone's skills without somehow being forced to align with them. I mean, it's objectively true that Trump runs a successful business empire and is really good at getting what he wants. Pointing those things out doesn't make someone a Trump supporter.

By the way, the opening sentence of that quote pretty much means I can disregard whatever comes after because the writer is heavily emotionally invested in a side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Quote:

I don't care who he supports, that's the whole point. He's said that he probably would do better under Trump policies, absolutely, being part of the 1%. But it's sad that you can't recognize someone's skills without somehow being forced to align with them. I mean, it's objectively true that Trump runs a successful business empire and is really good at getting what he wants. Pointing those things out doesn't make someone a Trump supporter.

By the way, the opening sentence of that quote pretty much means I can disregard whatever comes after because the writer is heavily emotionally invested in a side.

Yes, but the article argues (and I think backs up) the position that Adams has become infatuated with Trump and lost his impartiality and as a result his good judgement making Adam's statements less useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Quote:

Yes, but the article argues (and I think backs up) the position that Adams has become infatuated with Trump and lost his impartiality and as a result his good judgement making Adam's statements less useful.

Eh, I disagree. I think he's really impressed with his abilities, absolutely. But it's not like Adams is suddenly acting out of character. I've been reading him since the 90's and this is all in line with how he's always been. He's also written entire posts praising the Clinton team's abilities when he thinks they've made a particular skilled move.

I think people have a difficult time accepting that not everyone is as extreme or partisan as them. The Salon author is obviously heavily emotionally invested in Clinton (I like they part where they write "In the real world, Trump has off-the-charts unfavorability ratings", totally ignoring that Clinton also has record breaking unfavorability that just wasn't quite as bad until now, when they both have literally identical unfavorability), so they can't wrap their head around anyone who doesn't demonize Trump's every move. I mean really, none of those quotes are particularly interesting to anyone who doesn't already demonize Trump, they're one person's opinion on one specific aspect of someone. You see that problem right here in RSP all the time, and it's the very thing that started this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamTracey wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
The guy has run businesses overall successfully for decades, has raised kids that have turned out successful, has always been a teetotaler, and has no history of erratic behavior in the sense of mental illness. He's just a bombastic dick who's quite good at convincing people to do what he wants.

He's not mentally ill by any stretch of the imagination. What's happening is Clinton's team is finally getting on the ball with how to successfully go after Trump and you're lapping it up. They even got CNN to bring on Dr Drew to tell everyone Trump's not crazy. Which is great move, because now it hardens that suspicion that thinking he might be is a legitimate thing.

I highly, highly recommend Scott Adams' blog for anyone who enjoys cognitive dissonance and the study of manipulation and persuasion.

As long as you realise that it is Scott himself who suffers from an extreme form of cognitive dissonance I'd agree.

Trump said something dumb. NO! - he's a Master Persuader(TM) and only Scott, a "trained persuader and hypnotist", can truly understand his skills - with his "3D thinking". Not as funny as Dilbert used to be ten years ago, but good for a laugh nonetheless.

Scott Adams wrote:

In related news, Trump’s comment on Mrs. Khan’s silence at the Democratic convention made the country go nuts for a week. On the surface, it looked like a terrible week for Trump, as team Clinton successfully framed his comment about Islam and gender into something about their son, which it wasn’t. In the long run, you’ll forget Trump’s insult. But you will never forget the optics of Mrs. Khan deferring to her husband on stage. Short term, Trump got slaughtered on that issue. Long term, Trump has enough credibility with veterans that it won’t matter any more than the McCain joke did.

But you won’t forget the visual of the Khans on stage, and the husband looking in charge. That will stick with you. It was a gutsy persuasion play from Trump, but we will never know if it worked. My best guess is that the whole situation is just a bump in a long road.

He didn't say something dumb - it was a "gutsy persuasion play" to make you remember something to do with Islam and women for some reason. Right. Thanks Scott for that amazing piece of Master Persuader 3D Thinking.

Scott Adams does dilbert which is funny and insightful. His other work is uniformly shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Adams is as he always has been, which is a little bit crazy if you read anything of his that is non-Dilbert (his ideas on gravity or dinosaurs, for example).

For instance, Trump is not a master persuader. When has he persuaded anyone of anything during this campaign? He's telling a certain subset of the electorate exactly what they want to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
Scott Adams is as he always has been, which is a little bit crazy if you read anything of his that is non-Dilbert (his ideas on gravity or dinosaurs, for example).

For instance, Trump is not a master persuader. When has he persuaded anyone of anything during this campaign? He's telling a certain subset of the electorate exactly what they want to hear.

What does he say about Gravity and dinosaurs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:

I don't know about gravity. However it is well known that Adams is kinda crazy. From MRA, to the Holocaust, to evolution and weird views on science in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:

He goes into his idea on gravity in his 'Dilbert future' book, which is mainly some funny predictions on what the future of tech might be (or the future of tech 10-15 years ago I guess). Then the last chapter is a bunch of weird predictions on what science might become, largely about his idea that gravity is just everything in the universe growing.

It's possible he wasn't being serious, but I tend to think that if he was trying to be funny it would have been much funnier. It certainly seemed to me to be serious.

I think his ideas on dinosaurs and evolution might be in there too, but my copy is in England so I don't have it to hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
SpaceGhost wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:

He goes into his idea on gravity in his 'Dilbert future' book, which is mainly some funny predictions on what the future of tech might be (or the future of tech 10-15 years ago I guess). Then the last chapter is a bunch of weird predictions on what science might become, largely about his idea that gravity is just everything in the universe growing.

It's possible he wasn't being serious, but I tend to think that if he was trying to be funny it would have been much funnier. It certainly seemed to me to be serious.

I think his ideas on dinosaurs and evolution might be in there too, but my copy is in England so I don't have it to hand.

He was deadly serious. He thinks evolution is wrong because he has a finely developed bull shit meter and evolution trips it! http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2007/03/foss...
He doesn't believe in creationism or ID it's just evolution seems wrong! Eventually apparently the whole world will come round to his ideas.
I think he's talking about Human evolution not evolution per se, but it's nearly impossible to know what he's going on about. He gravity stuff is even worse.
As I said the man just spouts bollocks. Pity as Dilbert is usually excellent (or was 10 years ago when I read it regularly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Wait! Is that anything like landing under sniper fire in Biosnia? Or one's daughter jogging near the WTC the morning of 9/11? Or some minor video causing an attack on an embassy resulting in a dead ambassador? And what about Top Secret files on home severs? or rigging the convention to foil that Commie from Vermont?

If you're using bombastic claims and surreal lies to declare Trump mentally ill then what about documented lies in the face of video footage and testimony of the FBI Director clearly stating Hitlery lied as some measure of her mental state?

You people, such mutton-headed sheep in thrall to your new Vagina-bearing Overlord.

Sean Hannity! I didn't know you were a boardgamer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
edgerunner76 wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

Sean Hannity! I didn't know you were a boardgamer!

"Bush did it too! Bush did it too!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

There are lies, and there is creating your own reality. Like those celebration in NJ. Throughly discredited, but he just had to bring them up again. I don't see Clinton bringing up the Bosnia lie up again, because she is rational enough to realize that is self destructive to do so. And remember, these are not lies to burnish one's own reputation, Trumps are meant to punish others

A point nicely summed up by Robert Kagan in a Washington Post column

"One wonders if Republican leaders have begun to realize that they may have hitched their fate and the fate of their party to a man with a disordered personality. We can leave it to the professionals to determine exactly what to call it. Suffice to say that Donald Trump’s response to the assorted speakers at the Democratic National Convention has not been rational.

The fact that Trump could not help himself, that he clearly did, as he said, want to “hit” everyone who spoke against him at the Democratic convention, suggests that there really is something wrong with the man. It is not just that he is incapable of empathy. It is not just that he feels he must respond to every criticism he receives by attacking and denigrating the critic, no matter how small or inconsequential the criticism. If you are a Republican, the real problem, and the thing that ought to keep you up nights as we head into the final 100 days of this campaign, is that the man cannot control himself. He cannot hold back even when it is manifestly in his interest to do so. What’s more, his psychological pathologies are ultimately self-destructive.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/there-is-something-v...

And that is the point, not only is he in his own reality, he more irrationally than any other candidate one can remember. His lashing out at a Gold Star Family is the prime example. His surrogate went out after that and made the ludicrous accusation that the father was an agent of The Muslims Brotherhood. He just cannot let a slight go, and apparently must seek to punish those who oppose him. Having his minions go out and slander them just might have killed his campaign. And there is also the day after accepting the nomination, bringing up again, the insane rumor about Ted Cruz's father being involved in the JFK assassination.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/trump-ted-cruz-jfk-ass...

Or in Dayton when he decided to bring up his comments about Megyn Kelly and his rather cruel depiction of the disabled reporter Serge Kovaleski again. Why? A rational person does would not bring this up, Trump seems to think this proves folks are being mean to him. His own "reality" again.

And if we want to really get into his mental health how about his view of sacrifices

"STEPHANOPOULOS: How would you answer that father? What sacrifice have you made for your country?

TRUMP: I think I have made a lot of sacrifices. I've work very, very hard. I've created thousands and thousands of jobs, tens of thousands of jobs, built great structures. I've done -- I've had tremendous success.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Those are sacrifices?

TRUMP: Oh, sure. I think they're sacrifices.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/week-transcript-donald-trump-...

This is not a well man

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly don't know what the fuck to think about Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Yeah. Well it's pretty easy to assess whether BrunHillary or The Donald are more likely to align with your own politics. Here's their position pages:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/

Neither of them are stellar candidates for leadership of the nation but apparently they're the ones we are being offered. I stated earlier that I will vote for anyone who has a whisper of a chance to defeat Hillary because she is genuinely dangerous and a proven felon who I think is the one who is mentally unstable. Just look at the whole DNC setup. These people stole democracy. They rigged it to shove Bernie The Commie off the stage and nobody gives a fuck. Not here in RSP, not in the media, nobody. All anyone wants to ever talk about is "Trump". It's been that way for months, his wife, his kids, eating a taco bowl, arguing with some shitstick ISIS lawyer who's son was sadly blown up in Iraq. It's endless, all the while what about Sanders? What about the theft and outright rigging of the process to insure Hillary is the one?

It's far better to dissect whether Scott Adams is a secret Trump supporter and whack job than it is to face the reality that the primary Democratic candidate for America is a known liar, a security risk, a money-grubbing harridan, that she colludes to effectively undermine the democratic process and that she is the worst when it comes to what I used to think were women's rights issues but I now understand to be little more than "lets make sure our president has a vagina -- at any cost" issues.

Who gives two fucks whether the Dilbert guy likes Trump? Clinton fucked you over, even if you didn't support Sanders by making a mockery of the process and spitting her disdain for the essence of democracy back into your collective faces. And you guys, you Hillary drones, you cheerfully licked her spit off your faces and started yelling about Trump being disingenuous.

Fuck. That woman is evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Yeah. Well it's pretty easy to assess whether BrunHillary or The Donald are more likely to align with your own politics. Here's their position pages:

Neither of them are stellar candidates for leadership of the nation but apparently they're the ones we are being offered. I stated earlier that I will vote for anyone who has a whisper of a chance to defeat Hillary because she is genuinely dangerous and a proven felon who I think is the one who is mentally unstable. Just look at the whole DNC setup. These people stole democracy. They rigged it to shove Bernie The Commie off the stage and nobody gives a fuck. Not here in RSP, not in the media, nobody. All anyone wants to ever talk about is "Trump". It's been that way for months, his wife, his kids, eating a taco bowl, arguing with some shitstick ISIS lawyer who's son was sadly blown up in Iraq. It's endless, all the while what about Sanders? What about the theft and outright rigging of the process to insure Hillary is the one?

It's far better to dissect whether Scott Adams is a secret Trump supporter and whack job than it is to face the reality that the primary Democratic candidate for America is a known liar, a security risk, a money-grubbing harridan, that she colludes to effectively undermine the democratic process and that she is the worst when it comes to what I used to think were women's rights issues but I now understand to be little more than "lets make sure our president has a vagina -- at any cost" issues.

Who gives two fucks whether the Dilbert guy likes Trump? Clinton fucked you over, even if you didn't support Sanders by making a mockery of the process and spitting her disdain for the essence of democracy back into your collective faces. And you guys, you Hillary drones, you cheerfully licked her spit off your faces and started yelling about Trump being disingenuous.

Thank you. There's some Tylenol in the cabinet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The GOP is completely, utterly fucked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me?
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
He's not mentally ill by any stretch of the imagination.
I disagree somewhat. After living with someone affected by schizophrenia for the past 9 years, I've come to see mental illness more holistically. Sanity isn't always a matter of black or white. In the same way that our bodies can be infected by both a common cold and cancer, the mind can be touched with varying degrees of illness.

Donald Blow Hard shows very clear signs of paranoia, anxiety and controlling behaviour. He lacks affect in situations where it should be present. He repeatedly lies and has an apparent inability to accept certain facts. Does he need medication and psychotherapy? Probably not. Does he need help? Yes.

In the coming years, we have to get to a place where the current stigmas around mental illness are history. We all go through times where our minds aren't functioning as they should. Really, we all do! This is mental illness. If you're lucky, it will pass 'naturally' but we can do a better job as a society to help people when (not if) they suffer and to help those with more severe disorders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edgerunner76 wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Thank you. There's some Tylenol in the cabinet.

I believe the last thing he needs is more medication
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
h00sha wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
He's not mentally ill by any stretch of the imagination.
I disagree somewhat. After living with someone affected by schizophrenia for the past 9 years, I've come to see mental illness more holistically. Sanity isn't always a matter of black or white. In the same way that our bodies can be infected by both a common cold and cancer, the mind can be touched with varying degrees of illness.

Donald Blow Hard shows very clear signs of paranoia, anxiety and controlling behaviour. He lacks affect in situations where it should be present. He repeatedly lies and has an apparent inability to accept certain facts. Does he need medication and psychotherapy? Probably not. Does he need help? Yes.

You're not the only person who is close to someone with mental illness. Tell me, do you appreciate when people you barely know speculate on the mental condition of that person or what might be "wrong with them"? Or assert that they "clearly" suffer from a given diagnosis? Why do you think it's appropriate here for you to offer that? You're either a) not trained to make that evaluation, or b) acting unethically in making such statement about someone you haven't evaluated.

He's well within the norm when you consider "bombastic politician" as a baseline. There is literally nothing Trump is says or does that is unprecedented in any way in public figures.

"Mental illness" is definitely a very fuzzy line/area for when people act outside of what we consider normal in a negative way. But what it definitely doesn't mean is "a person I don't like acting in ways I don't agree with". We can just say, "Trump has terrible ideas and seems like a terrible person" and not jump right to "someone who feels so differently than I do is clearly a schizophrenic sociopath!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Trump seems to suffer from mental illness. I've also had relatives with mental illness. I don't think observations about the mental health of a person I haven't met, but who is running for President of the United States and frequently and visibly interacts with the public in ways that can be assessed and analyzed, and who also has many people who have interacted with him privately, some of them over extended periods of time, sharing what they saw, is much like speculating about some random individual about whom I know very little.

This seems fairly on target to me:

#DiagnoseTrump
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
I mean, it's objectively true that Trump runs a successful business empire and is really good at getting what he wants. Pointing those things out doesn't make someone a Trump supporter.

That's a huge oversimplification. Trump has been modestly successful as a real estate developer and mostly successful at positioning, promoting, and selling his personal brand and at structuring deals that are no-lose for him. That's certainly not nothing, but he's been a lot more successful at giving the impression that he's an amazing businessman than at actually being one.

Trump had incredible support in his real estate business; he claims he just had a million dollar loan (plus obviously connections) but in fact for his first project his father guaranteed the entire $70 million financing loan, and Trump was also given tens of millions of dollars from his father and then inherited more when he died. Despite all that, Trump is only a middling player in New York real estate world.

Trump's other businesses have performed quite marginally. Lots of entrepreneurs have failures, but Trump has an awful lot of them and many of them make no sense -- like Trump Steaks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.