6 Posts

The Oregon Trail Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Much More Fun Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
glenn f

Maryland
msg tools
1) Only die from an Instant death card on a roll of 1,2,3,or 4.
OPTIONAL: Remove instant death cards all together since no one likes player elimination.

2). Start your new set of 5 cards beginning from the last card you played, not the first as the instructions say (makes much more sense.)

3) After your turn, always draw back up to 5 trail cards.

4) Treat Fort cards as a supply. After every 10 trail cards, put one in play.

Boom. Much better game. Enjoy!

@gamesandbourbon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Johns
United States
Huntersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfectly acceptable variant, but would call it the much more easy variant, as part of the fun is dying and coming up with your best epitaph. yeah, you're out, but not for too long. it's like any other game with player elimination, you just sit out till the next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gmbf wrote:

2). Start your new set of 5 cards beginning from the last card you played, not the first as the instructions say (makes much more sense.)

This would change the way the path works though, since there isn't a guarantee that the last card of the path can connect to the previous last card of the stack before. That's why it's the first card on top for each stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteoanK wrote:
gmbf wrote:

This would change the way the path works though, since there isn't a guarantee that the last card of the path can connect to the previous last card of the stack before. That's why it's the first card on top for each stack.

I'm not sure if it'd make that much of a difference? The cards just kind of flop down there, with an exit being left, center, right, or all. Is there a distribution difference when applying the first or last card?

In any case, I don't think that it'd make the game more fun to keep following the last card. It does make more sense. I wasn't even aware of this rule. It just seemed logical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteoanK wrote:
gmbf wrote:

does it matter if the stacks match? They represent what you've already covered. By doing the last card, it's more thematic of continuing on the path you're on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CP Face
msg tools
Ultimately, I think that the way the trail lines up is largely arbitrary. The rules about playing and drawing Trail cards only serve to restrict your options on your turn, forcing you to play a negative card when you would rather not. Even then, the deck is weighted so heavily toward calamities and river crossings that you're going to get shredded even if you ignore the linkups and play whatever cards you want. The only purpose these rules seem to serve is to make you feel like the game is more involved than it actually is.

Personally, my game table is a bit small to comfortably build the ten-stack link anyway, so I pack two five-card stacks together and try to play to five stacks.

I think it's all down to personal taste. Do whatever makes sense to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.