• [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like it was only designed to be 3-5 players, which makes sense.

It's a semi-coop. Basically, that's a game that has a shared, cooperative goal, but the true goal is for a solo victory. Marvel Legendary, Cutthroat Caverns, and Arcadia Quest are all examples of semi-coop.

In short, it's a game type with lots of social interaction, cooperation and backstabbing. Great fun, but wouldn't be nearly as good with only 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Just picked it up at gencon. Says 2-5 on the box. Haven't checked out the rulebook yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonja Lang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There was a sticker on the shrink wrap, indicating "3 to 5 players". The game is not for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Only sticker on my shrink wrap was the playstation officially licensed product sticker. I just read through the rules. I don't see any reason you can't play this with 2. Doesn't look like it would be all that hard to make a solo varient. Box does say 2-5. Rules says 3-5. But I don't see why it can't play with two. I'm gonna try it out tonight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
rudis21 wrote:
Only sticker on my shrink wrap was the playstation officially licensed product sticker. I just read through the rules. I don't see any reason you can't play this with 2. Doesn't look like it would be all that hard to make a solo varient. Box does say 2-5. Rules says 3-5. But I don't see why it can't play with two. I'm gonna try it out tonight

Regardless of what it says, hoping after someone plays it they can comment. Dead of winter said 2+ but it sucks with two. If this is "semi-coop" i don't see why it wouldn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I'm just judging after reading the rules, not sure if you have read them or not, but nothing in the rules suggest that it would not work with two. Everyone secretly chooses and plays a card each round from there hand. You resolve the attacks, you get tokens for damage done and if you do enough to kill it you receive trophies. If not it escapes. Bosses don't escape at the end of a round, you fight until it's dead or you're dead. Unless someone plays a hunters dream card. Than that player goes to hunters dream. They can banks the tokens they have received and those go towards your total points for end game. If you die before going to hunters dream you lose everything. So the semi coop is basically if you want you can run from a fight and hopefully the other players die and lose the tokens they have acquired before banking them. Otherwise you are cooperating to try and kill enemies. That is a basic run down of the whole game. You can upgrade your hand of card along the way, you can only play a card once until you retreat to hunters dream. But round after round is flip a card, play cards, resolve, repeat, until you wanna fight the final boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played it once, and with five players, but I don't think it would be a good game with two. It's technically doable, sure, but a lot of cards are based on what other players do, so I think it would be sort of boring.

Monsters would likely escape more often, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
RageGoblin wrote:
Only played it once, and with five players, but I don't think it would be a good game with two. It's technically doable, sure, but a lot of cards are based on what other players do, so I think it would be sort of boring.

Monsters would likely escape more often, too.

I didn't go through each individual card, wanted to keep it surprising. If card effects themselves are based a lot on outcome of other cards then I can see that being a problem. I was just basing on a quick read of the rules. I will be trying it with 2 tonight so I'll see how it goes, and report. Looking forward to at least blasting through it and checking it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Miller

Georgia
msg tools
publisher
Hello, everyone! Bloodborne: The Card Game was designed by Eric M. Lang for 3-5 players. The copies at Gen Con do say 2-5 on the box, which is a misprint. Playing with 2 players is not ideal. We're sorry for the error and hope you're enjoying the game if you picked it up early at Gen Con!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CMON_Jared wrote:
Hello, everyone! Bloodborne: The Card Game was designed by Eric M. Lang for 3-5 players. The copies at Gen Con do say 2-5 on the box, which is a misprint. Playing with 2 players is not ideal. We're sorry for the error and hope you're enjoying the game if you picked it up early at Gen Con!

That doesn't answer the question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it does, he said it's not ideal..not that it wouldn't work. From what I've read and seen of this game it's basically just saying a lot of mechanics would make the game suck with only 2 people. 3+ is ideal to get the most of the mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyarthlotep wrote:
I think it does, he said it's not ideal..not that it wouldn't work. From what I've read and seen of this game it's basically just saying a lot of mechanics would make the game suck with only 2 people. 3+ is ideal to get the most of the mechanics.

I never asked if it was idea I asked if it could work and if not why

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Miller

Georgia
msg tools
publisher
As I noted, the game was not designed for 2 players, so it is not recommended because that is not Eric Lang's design of the game. Certain boss and monster combinations would just not work with 2 people. I hope this answers your question more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CMON_Jared wrote:
As I noted, the game was not designed for 2 players, so it is not recommended because that is not Eric Lang's design of the game. Certain boss and monster combinations would just not work with 2 people. I hope this answers your question more.

IT doesn't explain why, if it's semi-coop what mechanics won't work specifically? Is this more of a subjective reason or is there a physical one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Code Virus
United States
flag msg tools
mb
CMON_Jared wrote:

When will the game be available for purchase in retail/online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
CMON_Jared wrote:

IT doesn't explain why, if it's semi-coop what mechanics won't work specifically? Is this more of a subjective reason or is there a physical one.

It really isn't co-op at all. Players all have a common foe, but earn points only for themselves.

There is no physical reason the game won't work with two; it will just be bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McIllwain
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Exactly.

It's not really semi co-op either. It's more like Cutthroat Caverns, in that all players want to kill the monster and not die, but you want to absolutely be the one that claims the trophies. And preferably be the only one too, which could mean playing things in a way that results in the deaths of other players so they miss out on the monster kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
The game heavily relies on interaction between players to work.

You , at all times, need to check how much damage others can inflict and assess the risk of dying/missing the trophy. Besides, monsters escape if they are not defeated.

The tension comes from your position in turn order (as turn order is king in the game), trying to predict what other players will do and being able to land damage on enemies (so you get rewards)

In a 2-player game, the game gets too predictable as you only need to take one other player in account giving up too much of the tension.

From a development perspective, maybe with a different approach (focusing more on bluff) with a different monster deck (with lower health) could work but it is not something easily done or with some small changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rene g
msg tools
I haven't tried it, but what about an NPC? I.E. a third player that you play with random choices.

basically take out the dream and play that at the players discretion, the rest of the npc's cards are shuffled and a card is picked at random for its action.

when in the dream shuffle the item pool and pick one at random, play the rest of the game as usual.

thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rav3 wrote:
I haven't tried it, but what about an NPC? I.E. a third player that you play with random choices.

basically take out the dream and play that at the players discretion, the rest of the npc's cards are shuffled and a card is picked at random for its action.

when in the dream shuffle the item pool and pick one at random, play the rest of the game as usual.

thoughts?

I use a somewhat similar NPC Hunter. I set aside Hunter's Dream, NPC will play it if he starts the action select phase at half Health or less. Other cards are shuffled and he flips a random card. If he enters Dream, he will pick up the weapon with the highest printed attack (still in turn order). Picking between same number attack cards, favors damage reduction (Repeating Pistol) over potential dmg (Saw Spear), trying never to pick up non-weapons like Bolt Paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exupery Ether
msg tools
mb
Huh....

I have only played it with 2 persons / 2 players / 2 hunters in total. And we love the hell out of it.

I can see that with 3 players the game will be a ton better but from my experience (over 30 Bloodborne plays) you can play it with 2 persons just fine. It is not going to make the game easier or less competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.