Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeromie Rand
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I read about an older out of print game that some people love, I always wonder: is the game really that good, or are people's memories tinged by nostalgia? I found enough enthusiasm for Modern Art to overcome my skepticism and recently purchased a copy of the game via the marketplace. I found it oddly fitting that I had to pay above retail value for a game that's all about establishing the value of goods without inherent worth.

I played my first game of Modern Art tonight with four players brand new to the game. While everyone at the table enjoys modern board games, I think this was the first pure auction game for everyone but me. Power Grid is probably the closest most had come to playing with auctions and market manipulation. I wasn't sure how it would work out, since Modern Art has a reputation for being a bit fragile with the wrong group.

I needn't have worried; the game was a rousing success. The rules were easy to explain, and everyone at the table grasped the concept right away. That isn't to say that everyone played optimally, and I can see why some have complained that inexperienced players can throw the balance of the game. If you go into the game with the right mindset, however, this is almost a benefit. How do you deal with irrational actors in the marketplace? If I knew the answer to that question, I'd be more inclined to invest in the stock market. As it is, it's fun to explore that question inside a game.

As the game moved on, we immersed ourselves further into the role of auctioneers. Theme doesn't usually make or break a game for me, but it was fun to talk up the paintings we put up for auction. There was a great deal more laughter during this game than I usually find around the table, but our lighthearted approach didn't take away from the strategy of the game. There were several times where I found myself calculating potential values as I tried to find an optimal bid or speculating about what cards the other players must hold based on the way they were playing. We were also impressed by the natural evolution of the market in this game. Not only do certain paintings become valuable entirely based on the decisions of the players, but we all began to converge on the same understanding of value for the paintings. There were a couple of closed auctions where all of the non-auctioneers put in bids within $2 of one another.

In the end, our scores for the first game ranged from about $350 to $460. First and second place were within about $10 from each other, and they got there through entirely different means. (First place made most of his money through buying paintings and selling them at the end of the season; second place made most of her money with some well-timed offerings as the auctioneer.) This is definitely a game that I'm glad I tracked down. I've never played anything else like it, and with the right group this certainly deserves its reputation as a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fisher
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyed your article. For me Modern Art, is one of the most enjoyable game playing experiences someone can have. Market manipulation, different types of bids, no break away leader (if played right), and the fun of naming the painting being place for action (house rule)- These thing hit all the right buttons for me. With a collection of 200 games, Modern Art is always in the discussion of which one is my favorite game (Diplomacy is in that discussion as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
A true classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Classic. Very hard to explain why it is out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
Also the US edition is pretty bad in terms of components. The Japanese and French editions are amazing though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeromie Rand
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Also the US edition is pretty bad in terms of components. The Japanese and French editions are amazing though.

The copy I bought is the US edition. One of the players, while enjoying himself the whole time, made several comments about how little money it would take to produce the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pure classic gaming goodness.
For hype check the latest kick-started boxes of shiny bits on The Hotness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeromier wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

The copy I bought is the US edition. One of the players, while enjoying himself the whole time, made several comments about how little money it would take to produce the components.

I have the first ed Mayfair that has the nice plastic money. Cardboard money mashed in people's sweaty fists... I dunno.

It is such a good game it deserves better.

I'm talking Stamps better. STAMPS! NOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeromie Rand
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the plastic money. The small chips were a little unwieldy, but they worked really well for the sealed auctions so I can't complain.

Stamps looks amazing, but there's no way I'm willing to pay what it currently goes for on the used market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Superb game and great write-up. I have a custom print of the game I made to not use my original copy. Love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd much rather play Modern Art: The Card Game/Masters Gallery. For some folks, the auction mechanic is the heart of the game, but halving the game time is a much better trade off for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeromie Rand
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Master's Gallery looks like it may be fun, but it also seems to be a very different game. It's almost a shame that the games share the same name, since they will always be compared with one another. Modern Art didn't overstay its welcome in my group, so I'm happy with the play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, may be the go-to for playing with a mixed group of gamers and non-gamers, due to low rules overhead and short playing time while packed with all sorts of gamey goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
Also, may be the go-to for playing with a mixed group of gamers and non-gamers, due to low rules overhead and short playing time while packed with all sorts of gamey goodness.

I find it has too many rules and non-obvious auction strategy for non-gamers. (Even some experienced gamers sometimes brainfart and make totally ridiculous bids in the auctions in their first game, e.g. paying way more than a painting could even possibly be worth...) There are many other games I'd much rather play with non-gamers.

(But for playing with people who know the game, I certainly like Modern Art and agree it's a modern classic!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeromier wrote:
Master's Gallery looks like it may be fun, but it also seems to be a very different game. It's almost a shame that the games share the same name, since they will always be compared with one another. Modern Art didn't overstay its welcome in my group, so I'm happy with the play time.

I own and have played both, and I prefer Modern Art. The way Knizia created market 'value' out of cards is a tribute to his design genius. And it's very thematic; consider the value of art today, driven principally by the artist's reputation and the readiness of buyers to pay, often speculating, just like the game.

I know some players who refuse to play with novices because they believe that the bids of inexperienced buyers skew the game in favor of the experienced seller. I can say that I have occasionally benefited from a wildly high bid by a newbie buyer, but I don't think this weakens the game.

Modern Art is indeed a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
When i saw that Ra was getting reprinted, i thought a Modern Art reprint would be a thing too.

Of course, as pointed out, it is relatively easy to make your own set. It is great fun too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:

I've introduced the game to newb gamers and it works really well and they tend to have a great time (usually because it isn't like anything they've seen before).

New players radically shake up the market and I think it is fun to adapt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I'd much rather play Modern Art: The Card Game/Masters Gallery. For some folks, the auction mechanic is the heart of the game, but halving the game time is a much better trade off for me.

It's a 45 minute game, I'm not sure halving the game time is a real necessity... whistle

I love Modern Art, a 10 for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:

For over 10 years in the US. It's nuts. I think it's because Knizia is a good businessman and won't take less than modern classic money for a reprint deal. I'll bet that some piece of Asmodee/Eurazeo will be printing this as some part of a classics line within a couple of years. This is exactly the type of property they should be buying up and putting into general-audience stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeromie Rand
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pharmakon wrote:
dkearns wrote:

For over 10 years in the US. It's nuts. I think it's because Knizia is a good businessman and won't take less than modern classic money for a reprint deal. I'll bet that some piece of Asmodee/Eurazeo will be printing this as some part of a classics line within a couple of years. This is exactly the type of property they should be buying up and putting into general-audience stores.

Don't worry, I just paid over retail price for a used copy. It will go back into print soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.