Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grogs, Borgs and countrymen,

Registrations for the 2016 wargame santa will open in a couple of months
In 2015, we had about 150 entries globally with a couple of grinches
Lot of the negative feedback was about their santa's or target's silence making it not-fun for the enthusiastic participants

Now is your chance to put in your 2 paisa suggesting any changes for the this year's Santa

Some possibilities, feel free to add:
1. Keep it the same
2. Keep one exchange but make conversation mandatory
3. Make 2 exchanges, one with optional conversation, other where you have to GM your target every 2-4 weeks
4. Hold a grog postcard exchange, these people will get entry into the wargame exchange
5. Everyone send me a gift
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
Keep it the same.

Whiney kids who expect me to talk to them can get off my lawn.

Edit: I sincerely thought this thread was another grognard joke thread to complain about stuff, hence the sarcastic, joking comment.

I thought communication was already required, and that this referred to taunting. *shrug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, I'd be content with having packages sent out BEFORE Christmas, not after (like my regular BGG Secret Santa did last year).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le-Roy Karunaratne
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't take part in this, but is it possible to weight the randomisation method by preference of match?

e.g. when signing up you select "like lots of contact" "do not like contact"

The system then pairs those people up as much as possible.
Another possibility is to encourage the Santas to make initial contact in the first week to at least say hi, but require no more than that. That would probably instil some confidence for the recipient, but not require much work from the Santa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, it sounds as if you were prepared to organize this again. This is really appreciated! Many thanks!

I like the idea of a postcard Exchange but I'm afraid that too many potential participants will consider this to be too much hassle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep it the same. Anything else needlessly complicates. Those folks unhappy last year may well get a super-taunter this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep it the same. Making conversation mandatory sure as heck ain't going to make it any better. Those who aren't into the taunting or whatever will just transparently fake it, improving nothing and only aggravating another set of people.

Splitting the exchange only dilutes things. I guess you could do a postcard exchange, since that wouldn't really affect the primary exchange.

How many people were actually upset that this is even a thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep it the same.

I've had fun both ways. One year I had a santa who did a lot of taunting and had gifts for me to open throughout the exchange which was fun.

I also had a santa who sent the perfect gift to me and never said a word.

Frankly, I enjoyed both equally in the end and was actually happier when I saw how happy my target was with their gift. To me, the joy of this thing is in bringing a little cheer to your fellow BGG'ers Christmas season.

The best advice for gift giving is always ... "If someone is into a hobby you are not also into ... don't try to give them a gift in that hobby."

It has held true my entire life when relatives try to guess at what boardgames I might like... So, this event gives gamers, and specifically wargamers (a notorious difficult to shop for subset of boardgamers) a chance to get a gift during November/December without worrying if it's going to be some god awful garbage they would never want.

If people are whining...well...let 'em whine is my opinion on that. This event requires a ton of work to put on and babysit throughout the exchange and folks are notoriously picky. So, while I can understand disappointment...I can't understand wanting to shake up the whole thing when a) the point is YOU GIVING rather than receiving and b) Grinches tend to be rare and someone steps up to help fill in when a wild grinch appears...

Keep it as it is! Let the merriment begin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep it the same.

Draw and Quarter the grinches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looks like it's that time of year to start refining my wishlist again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that might be kind of helpful would be to sort people be geography (Europe, US, Canada, etc.) due to shipping, but I think the reality is that most people ship new games and it's usually possible to find a domestic supplier in most countries, or failing that to try to send folio games or other cheaper-to-ship games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Keep it the same.

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
In my last go at running the exchange, I made it a requirement to contact your target. I did not make it a requirement to "taunt" or anything else.

Just two "touches" - one to acknowledge they were on the ball, and one when the gift was shipped.

I don't feel that's unreasonable. Others did, and I'll be honest - it is the main reason I handed off the torch.

Last year I notified my target that my gift had been ordered and was underway. Unfortunately there was a glitch and when it had not arrived in a reasonable timeframe I was able to get it sorted and they got their gift.

I don't think it's either unreasonable or overly onerous to do this social courtesy.

I was very pleased with what I received last year, but my anxiety was not helped by virtually complete radio silence - it was broken, eventually, but I think I'd complained numerous times publicly by then (along with a chorus of other people).

I'm 50-50 about joining in this year. The main BGG exchange, ironically far more impersonal than our wargame exchange, was far more fun simply by dint of the participants honouring the implied social contract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurtis Swekla
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can or should ever impose a rule on taunting, but people should at least have the decency to send a message letting them know they have a santa, and even more so, the decency to say a thank you when they receive a gift.
my problem last year was my target never communicated at all, despite numerous requests for more info on the games they liked and nothing when they received it.
my santa on the other hand was great.

because of all these issues that came up last year, I was thinking of running a Canadian only thing for those of us that I know will at least do some sort of minimal communicating and to save on dollar conversion, but not so sure how well that would actually work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess we'll keep it the same
People who want talkative partners can GM me and I'll pair them up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
Keep it the same.

I don't think anyone is expecting a complicated back and forth. A simple "hey, I exist, package inbound" sometime before Christmas would be the bare minimum for courtesy purposes.

Old men who couldn't be arsed to type a short sentence can get off my lawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
doughboyca wrote:
I don't think you can or should ever impose a rule on taunting, but people should at least have the decency to send a message letting them know they have a santa, and even more so, the decency to say a thank you when they receive a gift.
my problem last year was my target never communicated at all, despite numerous requests for more info on the games they liked and nothing when they received it.

because of all these issues that came up last year, I was thinking of running a Canadian only thing for those of us that I know will at least do some sort of minimal communicating and to save on dollar conversion, but not so sure how well that would actually work

Excellent idea. Count me in! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
doughboyca wrote:

Excellent idea. Count me in! meeple

Moi aussi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
licinius wrote:
doughboyca wrote:

Excellent idea. Count me in! :meeple:

Moi aussi.

i'll be very sad if the canadians split off on their own
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
grafpoo wrote:

i'll be very sad if the canadians split off on their own

We're going to build a wall and make you pay for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
doughboyca wrote:

I will sign-up to both !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I decide to participate this year, I'm inclined to stay with the Santa Grogs exchange as it currently stands.

Personally, I've never had an issue with my Santa. Each year I've been thrilled with the gifts I've received and I think that my targets have been pretty happy with what I sent them as well, or at least very polite.

I'm not a taunter, but I do my due diligence as far as communication is concerned. I really don't care if my target thanks me or posts on the Gift Received geeklist, as long as I know that the gift arrived.

I wouldn't participate in a Canadian-only exchange. Part of the fun is finding out where my target lives in the world. I've had Australian, French, Italian targets and I like to Google Earth the mailing address and do a "virtual tour" of my target's home town -- "I wonder if he/she eats at that restaurant or parties at that pub? How much rent do people pay in that neighborhood? etc. etc.?" It's an adventure and I don't even have to leave my living room couch.

anyway, there's my two U.S. cents(or one Canadian nickle)worth.

'nuf sed

EDIT: not to end on a negative note, but I found the belly-aching a bit distasteful last year. it's actually the part that has me reconsidering whether i want to sign up again this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
FuManchu wrote:
Jacovis wrote:
Keep it the same.

I don't think anyone is expecting a complicated back and forth. A simple "hey, I exist, package inbound" sometime before Christmas would be the bare minimum for courtesy purposes.

Old men who couldn't be arsed to type a short sentence can get off my lawn.

I obviously mistook the tone of this thread, since I've never worried too much nor have I had a bad experience with wargame secret Santa.

I nearly always taunt, and I always communicate.

What are we really asking here?

Edit: I'll add that I really don't care if I hear from my Santa or not. I've appreciated it when they have, but it doesn't detract from the experience for me if they don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it how it is. I tend to send messages to my targets but I don't even get many replies for the most part. it doesn't bug me. I assume they're at least happy I'm taking the time to come up with terrible jokes.

I probably need to find some more wargames for my list, though. (More games in general too!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say keep it the same.

This will sound a bit mercenary but as long as they fulfill the rule that they send a gift then they have done their part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.