Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For people who have player several times, how often do you see FI give hints, that while within the rules of the game, seem outside the spirit of the game?

For example, slamming a piece down when a player or clue is mentioned? Or using wasted clues to give a location of a clue? I could see using the last 2 clues, and therefor least important, to give the 1-4 position of the clue and means on the murderer (while not actually pointing out the murderer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would feel that since people would want to replay the game, and they could randomly be the murderer, it is not in the groups interest to create game breaking conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
We had a problem in the last game where the FS was trying to decide what to put down for "time of year", and one player kept saying things like "well, if she puts Summer, then we know it's this, if she puts...", and then she made her choice.

Kinda felt wrong, but there was nothing against the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the game works best when the FS places during a period AFTER communication, not during.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Never. And if they did, I'd restart the game.

The thing about the ghost is that they need to keep a straight poker face the entire time. That is the hardest thing for some players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Creating a "code" where placing the clue on the first slot means Player #1, second slot means Player #2, etc., is cheating as far as I'm concerned.

We also explicitly forbid metagaming like "I really hope the FS gives us the Location next because I'm trying to decide between A and B..."

Basically, we follow the convention that the FS is only allowed to communicate by way of placing bullets, without input from the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you cheat like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not asking why ... I'm asking from people who play a lot, how often?

For example, I play code names a lot. I stress NO META-GAMING. About 1/5th the time, someone tries to metagame (usually a new player trying to be clever), and then gets upset afterwards that we pointed out it was bad and why it didn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
I'm not asking why ... I'm asking from people who play a lot, how often?

For example, I play code names a lot. I stress NO META-GAMING. About 1/5th the time, someone tries to metagame (usually a new player trying to be clever), and then gets upset afterwards that we pointed out it was bad and why it didn't work.

I haven't seen it yet. We wouldn't play with someone who does that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias H
Germany
Pendler zwischen Hessen und Rheinlandpfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like to see the forensic scientist played with some metagame methods.

(in my opinion) The art of forensic scientist should be playing the clues with some code that allow to identify what clues belong togehter or are important at first glance etc., yes.
He should be allowed to react on the discussion, with changing focus on key evidence, meanse of murder, or generally sceneary, yes.
but his moves should not become a explicit communication.

In my last session the forensic scientist, called for the conclusion round and interupted a player to drift to a other (wrong) idea....I didn't like that kind of move.

first goal of the forensic scientist/ Game Master is to play fair and keep the game flow.
second goal is to help with clues (without greater kinds of communication)

try-hard player should stay out of the position

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor H
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I always feel like hosting a board game night obliges me to know my audience when selecting a game. If I had players attending that have that "Spike" mentality of winning above all else, I probably would choose a game where the rules are more concrete rather than something that relies heavily on the honor system.

In general I feel like the people I play with understand how bending the rules in that way would lessen the enjoyment of the game for everyone, but perhaps if I played with strangers at a game store or a younger audience it would be more of an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Forbes
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not sure if this counts but we had one issue where the murderer felt it was unfair metagaming.

The tile was "What is the build of the murderer". The FS put the bullet on "tall". My friend is 6"7 and the rest of us are average. It didn't narrow down his card choice immediately, but we knew without question he was the murderer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Taylor
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Theborbes wrote:
The tile was "What is the build of the murderer". The FS put the bullet on "tall". My friend is 6"7 and the rest of us are average. It didn't narrow down his card choice immediately, but we knew without question he was the murderer.

You might have misread that one. I've got a tile that says Victim's build, but nothing about the murderer's build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.