$30.00
Mathieu Gybels
Belgium
Snaaskerke
België
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To start out: no review will ever capture the atmosphere this game builds at the table. It is absolutely amazing...

COMPONENTS: 8/10

As I'm expecting for FFG the components are amazing. Beautifull artwork, nice models, thick cardboard, nice box.
My only remark about this is that there is no way to comfortably use the box. I can't really comfortably throw all components in the box with the mini's...

The Rules: 7/10

Again, the same style we've grown accustomed to from FFG. 2 Rulebooks, one Learn to Play and one Rules Reference. It's not always as clear where to look but it's good enough. I would've liked individual cards with a summary of the actions you can take but I'll make those myself.

The App: 10/10

This is where the game shines. The previous version took a long time to set up and if you made a mistake the consequenses could ruin the night for everybody which was a sad thing to happen. So as the Keeper, you tended to check and double check, adding even more time to an already long set-up.

The app gives you background music, sound effects, a storyteller and helps you with set-up. It gives you interaction with npc's randomizes attacks, evades and other actions, it gives you puzzles and helps keep the mistery. It is amazing in creation suspense.

Gameplay: 9/10

IN combination with the app I found the gameplay easy and fast. Every investigator has 2 actions that are quite simple, the most difficult parts of the game are handled by the app. We were constantly under pressure and had moments where we just couldn't figure out if we were doing something right or horribly wrong. The game is completely non-linear. We ended up meeting people we needed for the mission early in the game without realising their importance untill it was almost too late.

I love the spells, they are similar to Eldritch Horror where you can't look at the back of the card untill you cast it and have to suffer the consequences of what you're doing.

Items like the bottle of whiskey are well made with a front action to drink it and afterwards you can use the broken bottle to cut a monster up.

The damage mechanic is simple but when you need to flip cards up you dread to see what's underneath because of the randomisation.

Once you've suffered enough horror to go insane you potentially receive a secret objective causing you to go rogue vs your group or to have additional objectives to complete before you win.

The verdict:

This is by far the most suspensefull and flavourfull game I've ever played. I enjoyed it so much I never even looked at the clock untill it was almost 1AM and we were all insane and wounded or dead.
In one go, this game became my number 1. I gave it a 9/10 as my only worry is replayability, if not for that, this would be a solid 10/10. With only four or five (can't quite remember) scenarios I still need to see how different each play will be to see how often I'll be able to run this game. Knowing FFG we'll soon see expansions and I'll gladly pay money to just add extra scenario's to the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any experience with the new Descent App?

Kind of torn between the two games on which one to get?

I like both themes, but the Lovecraft theme might have the fantasy theme beat due to uniqueness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grove123 wrote:
Any experience with the new Descent App?

Kind of torn between the two games on which one to get?

I like both themes, but the Lovecraft theme might have the fantasy theme beat due to uniqueness.

I've played both a bit.

I'd say if you want campaign progression and leveling, go for Descent.

If you prefer scenarios, with some amount of variation, with each session complete in itself, go for this.

If those both sound good, choose on theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.