$20.00
$5.00
Daniel Cassar
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you rank these games and would you not play one because you have the other in your collection?

Vegas Showdown - Own & Played
Vegas Showdown's components are a rather cheap and the theme doesn't interest me but the game quickly grew on me as the mechanics work really well across different player numbers. Happy I have it!

Suburbia
- Played
I was excited to play Suburbia as the whole city building concept excited me, mixed with tile laying.... AWSOME. Unfortunately it fell flat. Thematically it is completely dull and for some reason I just didn't find the combo'ing or mechanics interesting. I should give this one another go but I am just not really interested in playing it.

Isle of Skyle - Own
Watched a few reviews and it looked good enough to buy without haveing played it, so I am waiting for it to arive.

Castles of Mad King Ludwig
I have watched a number of reviews and I have mixed feelings about Castles of the Mad King Ludwig. The master builder/tile selection phase sounds interesting but just seems like it would drag on too long (just to get a tile). However the rest of the game seems great.

I love castles (theme), but I am not sure if the game is solid enough to go into the colleciton of games I feel like playing or just sit with the pile of great games that I don't play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Castles of Mad King Ludwig and Isle of Skye. I prefer Isle of Sky by a wide margin. I find the building of your kingdom more satisfying and the changing per round scoring criteria to be more interesting.

I would like to try Suburbia as I think it would be better than CofMKL. I am just not sure if it would be into the collection material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many people do you typically play with? How long do you typically like your game plays to be?

I've never played Vegas, so I can't comment, but I own the other 3.
My preferences / thoughts:

Isle of Skye - GREAT for 2 players, more can lead to a lot of AP depending on the group and picking the right pricing really loses a lot of its luster and feels like a crapshoot. Way faster setup than either of the other 2, comes in with faster playtime too.

Castles of Mad King Ludwig - was our 2 player choice until Isle of Skye, we even bought the Meeple Realty insert. Once we got the expansionthough, we stopped playing it. It became too long to set up and too much going on for us, even with only adding the moats and extra rooms. Still an awesome game and now that you're mentioning it, I want to play it again. This is much better at 3+, I think. Our larger group plays were a lot more fun and didn't add as much to the AP like Isle of Skye can. Pricing still felt very important and easy to understand.

Suburbia - great game, play the app though instead. The app is so much easier to understand and keep track of the "fiddly-ness". There are 2 games that I have found I can get rid of the tabletop copy once I get the app - this and Patchwork.

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vastly prefer Isle of Skye over Suburbia and CoMKL. I disagree with the above comment that the game is not as good with more players. It is one of those games that is great at all the listed player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I own Mad King Ludwig and Isle of Skye.

With 2 players I prefer Isle of Skye but with 4 players Castles is a lot of fun and maybe preferred. Isle of Skye works well with 2 or more but Mad King Ludwig's auction seems to work better with more players (could just be our experience) and the fun factor is a lot higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy the first three. I've played CoMKL, and while it was fun, it really did feel too much like a mixture of Vegas Showdown and Suburbia for me to want to buy it. That said I'll probably buy the app. I enjoyed the solo campaign in the Suburbia app, and the CoMKL campaign is supposed to be even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Langalore wrote:
Isle of Skye - GREAT for 2 players, more can lead to a lot of AP depending on the group and picking the right pricing really loses a lot of its luster and feels like a crapshoot. Way faster setup than either of the other 2, comes in with faster playtime too.

Totally disagree here. I have much more compelling 2P games than Isle of Skye. As with most price setting/auction games 2P falls a bit flat for me. I think this game shines at 4P though I would gladly play 3P and 5P as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slightly Alive
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Vegas Showdown, but I own and enjoy the other three.

My ranking:

1) Isle of Skye. I find the auction a bit dull at two players, but it's still a solid builder. It absolutely sings at three and four players, where there is enough money going around and enough tiles to choose from. Five gets a little muddling, as players get overloaded trying to evaluate setting their prices based off four other players' possible uses for tiles, and overloaded trying to decide which of up to eight other tiles they might buy off another player that round. But it's a stellar game all around.

2) Suburbia. The idea of adjacency bonuses is fun and well-executed. It works at all player counts, with the central market scaling accordingly. It's definitely a bit abstract with the humorless hexes, and the relative complexity of the bookkeeping is much higher than the others.

3) CoMKL. I play this one a lot on my iPad, and between that and half a dozen or so physical plays, realized it only truly works for me at four players. The player-set pricing of tiles just feels weak at three players, and it's ghastly at two. I prefer its gameplay a bit to Suburbia, especially its simplified scoring and game state, and I love the different sizes and shapes and how dynamic they make your player area look. But it fills a very specific niche for me to only get played at four players...where I'd rather play Skye at the same count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cassar
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm I find the above comments very interesting because nobody seemed to complain about the AP in CoMKL which is what all the revewiers complained about. Mind you everyones overall concencus seems to be fairly similar.

I purchased the CoMKL app on my phone and probably played it about a dozen times in a row (mostly as 2 player). I enjoyed it a lot even against AI.

I will wait untill Isle of sky arrives to play that as the general concencus is that it is a much better game. But knowing me I'll probably enjoy it so much that I'll buy CoMKL as I will be wanting more of the same. *rolls eyes*

Thank you! Your thoughts about these games are appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia > CoMKL > Vegas Showdown.

I do need more plays of VS as it might jump over CoMKL. CoMKL definitely benefits with having more players. Suburbia is stronger with fewer, but I still prefer it is the most. I'm trying to avoid picking up IoS as I assume I'll find the person who has a copy of it and get my plays that way. I'm highly interested in it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Haywood
United Kingdom
Lancaster
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Castles of Mad King Ludwig which I love. I love the building element, the manipulation of scoring; everything. I also quite like it because you can't get completely screwed up which is the reason I don't like Suburbia which I have played several times. I really fancy Isle of Skye, I've never head of Vegas Showdown....yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Graves
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Surburbia is a great two player game . I played Isles a couple of times and I think it is fun but not as good. Castles I have not played but it looks similar in style to Suburbia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Suburbia over Castles...

However... I like Quadropolis/Dice City over both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.