Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
You know that banging on incessantly about your favourite game for nearly 10 years can - sometimes - have it's benefits (apart from the pure pleasure of playing that game itself, of course); that and ending up working with the peeps who make that game in the first place, of course! The sainted Mr Klemens Franz - once again! - offered me the chance to get my Agricolaholic mitts on one of the new re-engineered variants FOR FREE and, naturally (how could it have been otherwise?), I said "YES!" (in bold, double-underlined CAPS).

So, here's the good stuff IN PICTURES; oh, and there have been 'some changes' too...just a few:

The Front of the Box

The Back of the Box

What are those new pastures? And those 'improvements'? There are NO fence pieces as they have been replaced by differently-sized & costed tiles...

...also, there is no farm board - you have a two room 'starting house' tile and you build off that.
There is no Stone, so there are no Stone rooms: you work in Wood and, then, in Clay!

More pastures and more (familiar) improvements; the latter can be used AT ANY TIME ie. there is NO 'Bake bread' action -
if you have a baking improvement, you can use it whenever (but, now, you need wood to go with the grain).

The 'main board': no randomised round action cards but, instead, you have a 'road' of action spaces (a la iOS version)
that opens up as the game progresses by following a Round marker and Rounds 7, 10, 11 and 14 are now 'buy' actions
for major improvements.

Player variant cards have been replaced by the jigsaw boards seen in the recent re-release.

More lovely wooden bits!

Other tweaks?
- no Stone
- no Vegetables

As for scoring, this has been much simplified:
- 3 points per family member (as per)
- 1 point per 'tile' (pastures, fields, clay rooms and improvements)
- 1 point per animal and/or grain in fields and/or fenced stable
- plus the usual banded scoring for the special improvements

All-in-all, the Family Edition is like a middle sibling; caught between the baby (All Creatures Big & Small) and the eldest (the reissued Agricola); it even looks safe enough to try on a grumpy, 'Gric-hating' Jobbers come a Friday night!

Of course, we should also be getting the 'Grandpappy' Edition next year...and how I'm so looking forward to un-boxing THAT big, beautiful blighter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Tony for posting up the pictures. I'm a real Agricolaphile, its my all time favourite game and my kids who are 7 and 9 love playing with the pieces as toys.

I haven't played All Creatures Great and Small, as I figured it was still too complex for them but this looks awesome and it might just be the game I have wished for, to play with them.

What age would you say it could be played from? bearing in mind I'm a realist. I know there's people out there, who reckon there 5 year olds can play Eclipse but my 2 are average kids.

My 9 year old has an attention span of about 5 minutes before she wants to go off and jump on a trampoline and run riot but my 7 year old, will play games like Pokemon (obsessed by it at the moment) , Tsuro and Terror in Meeple City for about half hour tops (hopefully she is the gamer in the making in the family)

She did play Dungeon Lords over 3 nights once (constantly collecting Imps and me talking her through the end of year Adventurer step) So I'm hoping this could be a breakthrough game for them.

Could this be the game?

btw thank you for Snowdonia (awesome game, love it!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vagelis
Greece
Πειραιάς
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there is no text in the game????nice photoes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No text on the board/pieces is actually a really smart move, economically. Now they can print in different languages without having to send updates for the tiles and whatnot.

Also, this game looks sweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Smith
United States
New Albany
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got this on a dinged and dented section at a board game store while on vacation for only 20 bucks. Huge steal... always wanted to play Agricola too. So with that in mind, as someone who's NEVER played Agricola - I really enjoyed this game a lot. Played it solo to get the hang of it, went back over the rules, watched a video, and then played again with my wife. Small learning curve with all the actions and points adding up but overall I enjoyed it a great deal. Having a set number of turns to take really helps too, I enjoy that it helps pace the game and helps you see the looming end of the game. We don't normally play euro style games so this was a great addition to my collection. Now I'm pretty curious to play other versions of Agricola!

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chainsaw_ash wrote:

Thanks Tony for posting up the pictures. I'm a real Agricolaphile, its my all time favourite game and my kids who are 7 and 9 love playing with the pieces as toys.

I haven't played All Creatures Great and Small, as I figured it was still too complex for them but this looks awesome and it might just be the game I have wished for, to play with them.

What age would you say it could be played from? bearing in mind I'm a realist. I know there's people out there, who reckon there 5 year olds can play Eclipse but my 2 are average kids.

My 9 year old has an attention span of about 5 minutes before she wants to go off and jump on a trampoline and run riot but my 7 year old, will play games like Pokemon (obsessed by it at the moment) , Tsuro and Terror in Meeple City for about half hour tops (hopefully she is the gamer in the making in the family)

She did play Dungeon Lords over 3 nights once (constantly collecting Imps and me talking her through the end of year Adventurer step) So I'm hoping this could be a breakthrough game for them.

Could this be the game?

btw thank you for Snowdonia (awesome game, love it!)

I just bought it to play with my 7 year old daughter. We both loved it! She is definitely a gamer, and enjoys playing games for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Romans
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8 year old son and 9 year old daughter really enjoyed it and want to play more. It distills the tension of the original with efficient style.

Highly recommended for all ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Amusingly, my wife was not pleased with the pastel meeples in the Family Edition. I have to agree that the classic colors would have been preferable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.