$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Order of events rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gandalf White
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
When fighting or evading (can't remember now) Star Spawn app told me to take 2 face up damage then flip up 2 damage. So I took 2 damage which by the rules needs to be taken face up. I understand that I need to resolve it's effect immediately. This sufficed to wound me therefore discarding all remaining face down damage. So the next step of Star Spawn action does not take place as there was no more cards to flip up? Is this correct?
Or should I take two damage then flip 2 more damage face up and resolve all? But then what with the order of events?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have no leftover damage to flip, then you don't flip anything. And yes, you're correct, damage is always taken faceup (unless otherwise stated) and resolved 1 card at the time
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okkoo wrote:
(...) app told me to take 2 face up damage then flip up 2 damage. So I took 2 damage (...) This sufficed to wound me therefore discarding all remaining face down damage. (...)


Scarlet Witch wrote:
If you have no leftover damage to flip, then you don't flip anything. And yes, you're correct, damage is always taken faceup (unless otherwise stated) and resolved 1 card at the time

So the below order is correct?
Take 2 damage (faceup)
Become wounded, discard all facedown damage.
Try to turn 2 facedown damage face up (fail as there's no facedown damage left)


And this order is wrong?
Take 2 damage (faceup)
Turn 2 facedown damage face up
Become wounded, discard all facedown damage left

I'm asking again because you have confirmed the things the OP haven't expressed any doubts about, but you haven't directly addressed the actual question. (And I'm very interested with the answer.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf White
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Yes, this still needs proper answer. I need to add that app ordered these actions in one event, those were not separate events. To clarify: take two face down damage then flip two damage face up. As after taking 2 fave down damage I become wounded and therefore discarded my face down damage there is nothing left to flip face up so the second part of this action doesn't happen. But I need someone to confirm.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless some of the better versed players step in, we can always ask FFG.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Checked in the reference (under Damage because there is no entry for Wounded):

When an investigator becomes Wounded, he gains a Wounded
Condition and discards all of his facedown Damage.


But:

If an effect cause an investigator to suffer Damage in excess
of his health, he suffers all Damage from that effect before
becoming Wounded and discarding his facedown Damage.


It's a tricky situation. Point is that turning facedown Damage faceup is not "suffering Damagine in excess of his health" (this to me means you get 2 damage when you have 1 residual health), so yes, I'd play the first way Haroth listed, i.e.

- suffer 2 faceup damage, resolving one card at a time
- become wounded and discard all facedown damage cards
- since there are no facedown cards after becoming wounded, then you don't resolve the "turn 2 faceedown damage faceup" part

Still, it's just my reading. I'd suggest to mail FFG for a 100% accurate answer
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Checked in the reference (under Damage because there is no entry for Wounded):

When an investigator becomes Wounded, he gains a Wounded
Condition and discards all of his facedown Damage.


But:

If an effect cause an investigator to suffer Damage in excess
of his health, he suffers all Damage from that effect before
becoming Wounded and discarding his facedown Damage.


It's a tricky situation. Point is that turning facedown Damage faceup is not "suffering Damagine in excess of his health" (this to me means you get 2 damage when you have 1 residual health), so yes, I'd play the first way Haroth listed, i.e.

- suffer 2 faceup damage, resolving one card at a time
- become wounded and discard all facedown damage cards
- since there are no facedown cards after becoming wounded, then you don't resolve the "turn 2 faceedown damage faceup" part

Still, it's just my reading. I'd suggest to mail FFG for a 100% accurate answer


My interpretation matches Julia's. It seems clear to me that the rule when becoming Wounded is that excess facedown damage (above what is needed to Wound you) does not carry over. If an effect deals you damage and it is enough to make you wounded, you take all the damage from the effect first (whether it is faceup or facedown) and resolve all the effects of each card. Note this could cause you to have to take additional damage/horror or flip other damage/horror cards faceup, so don't skip this step.

Another interesting question:

Suppose you have 6 Health and have 5 Damage cards. You take a Damage card faceup and it's one of the lucky ones that says to discard the card. Are you still Wounded? I say yes, because the "become Wounded" is a continuous state-based trigger that can occur after you take the Damage but before you resolve it.

I see the sequence as:

1) Take the number of damage and horror card(s) specified, resolving one card at a time.
2) If you are not Wounded and have ever had a number of damage cards that equal or exceed your health at any point this process, discard all of your facedown damage and become Wounded.
3) If you are not Insane and have ever had a number of horror cards that equal or exceed your sanity at any point this process, discard all of your facedown horror and become Insane.
4) If you are Wounded and have damage cards that equal or exceed your health (or you are Insane and have horror cards that equal or exceed your sanity), you are eliminated.
5) If you were instructed to flip any Damage or Horror cards faceup, resolve each one. If you are instructed to take additional Damage or Horror because of this, return to step 1.

It would be good to get a specific ruling on this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically though, I think you have to resolve the effects in order. First you take the damage and completely resolve all effects from that (including becoming Wounded or Insane).

Then flip the specified number of damage/horror cards faceup. If you no longer have any facedown damage/horror, you have nothing to do for that step.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have a follow up question I guess.

If an effect asks you to flip over X amount of face down cards face up. Do you flip them back down after resolving their effects again (things like just a flesh wound) or do they stay face up due to the effect?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
vincentdante wrote:
I have a follow up question I guess.

If an effect asks you to flip over X amount of face down cards face up. Do you flip them back down after resolving their effects again (things like just a flesh wound) or do they stay face up due to the effect?

When you flip anything, you resolve the text on it before going back to what you were doing before the flip. So if it says - keep faceup is stays faceup - for example.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
vincentdante wrote:
I have a follow up question I guess.

If an effect asks you to flip over X amount of face down cards face up. Do you flip them back down after resolving their effects again (things like just a flesh wound) or do they stay face up due to the effect?

When you flip anything, you resolve the text on it before going back to what you were doing before the flip. So if it says - keep faceup is stays faceup - for example.


Yes. Whenever you flip a damage card faceup, you resolve its effect again (rules reference page 7, under "Damage"). The card effect will tell you whether to keep it faceup or turn it back facedown after resolving it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.