Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having had the game for 2 years I finally got round to a first play. The rulebooks make the game appear more complicated than it actually is. Essentially the turn phases are easy to work through once you understand the flow. First few turns I needed to follow the rulebook for each phase but after that I was only using it for reference, A very thematic game and the large stack of character events ensure variability for every game. I delayed playing this game for a long while having found 'Where there is discord' thematic but unsatisfying. This game is better to my taste and I shall be playing it again. A recommended solo game.

More specifically, I chose a German event card on the first possible turn (2) to get a strategic event card but realised that taking a British card to assist with the Sea Lion roll may be best as this can slow the arrival of German forces and I took British cards for the rest of the game and never got to play a strategic event card. I shall probably try half and half next time to see what impact the strategic events have (if I can get them into play).

The game appeared to be going pretty well and I was hopeful of victory even though I wasn't sure how the final turn all-in push by the Germans would play out and then.....

On turn 12 'The Eagle Has Landed' character event entered play. Chaplin turned out to be the Reverend who was all alone in the Church. Being alone he automatically escaped and was replaced by massed German forces. The Church was captured and the game was over !

Whilst this was disappointing and felt a bit random, I actually quite enjoyed it because it told a story, one that is unlikely to be repeated, at least for me, due to the size of the character event deck and the number of possible characters to be the traitor 'Chaplin'.

My overall impressions are:

Quality of board and components 10
Quality of rulebooks 9
Strength of theme 10
Game play 8
Replayability 10

My only disappointment was the British and German strategy cards, which, when cross-referencing to the booklet, I assumed would give some in-game effect as well as a Sea Lion roll modifier, but no. Just flavour text. This confused me at first, I was trying to interpret the text into a game effect until I realised that's all it was, flavour. I love theme, but can't help but feel it was an opportunity missed.

There are very few made-for-solo games that I enjoy as I really dislike programmed AI opponents in boardgames. It sucks the theme right out of it for me. But I can heartily recommend this as a truly excellent solo game with theme to spare and buckets of replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This could be a timely post for me as like you I purchased this at the initial point but I still have yet to play it. I have set this game up several times on the table but life / work etc have always got in the way of seeing it through to an actual complete play through. I have owned WTID for years and played it several times and enjoyed that game for its theme and challenge, but do also feel that there is a bit of a 'hurrumph' factor developing for me now. Part of me wonders whether that has partially influenced me to not leave this at the table and persevere with it.

Maybe need to spin again on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerdsholm Ferret
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking that the codename "Chaplin" was chosen to tease you, since naturally the Chaplain would be a Reverend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerdsholmferret wrote:
I'm thinking that the codename "Chaplin" was chosen to tease you, since naturally the Chaplain would be a Reverend.

The irony hadn't escaped me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my good wife conquering a Shopping Mall.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
nerdsholmferret wrote:

And I'm thinking it was because he made a right Charlie out of me in my first game.

Jim

Est. 1649

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Miller McKimpson
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The one time I have payed it, I enjoyed the game. However, Codeword suffers from the same affection as WTID: it is simply too large. I do not have room to play it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kmckimpson wrote:
The one time I have payed it, I enjoyed the game. However, Codeword suffers from the same affection as WTID: it is simply too large. I do not have room to play it

It fits perfectly on my coffee table which I purchased with gaming in mind (from Ikea) about 10 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kmckimpson wrote:

I had to 'make' my own smaller board for WTID so it could fit on my office table, where I could leave it out over a number of days (weeks!). I may have to do something similar for CC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, so my second playing of the game went down to the final turn. Sadly, when the traitor was revealed they were once again in a space all by themselves, triggering 25 german units to appear in the space and they steamrollered their way right into the Church. Another loss, but fun all the same and a different story was told. Picture taken on my boardgaming coffee table
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.