Hide
5 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » General

Subject: Elder Sign Expansion Combining? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Takumi Taiki
msg tools
I currently have Elder Sign base board game and Unseen Forces.I want to buy the other two expansions ( Gates of Arkham and Omens of Ice). My question is, can all the expansions be combined together to be played? Can all the adventure cards and other world cards be combined?

If yes:
which cards do i need to remove or switch out?

If No:
can i combine any other expansions together to be played with? without removing the entire deck of cards (adventure and other world card) when adding the other expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stim
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The room of the museum are not used with either of the new box expansion (Streets or North). The small cards and other world cards are used with the exception of the mythos deck. Also note that the location/room cards of Streets and North are only used in their respective games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turgul wrote:
The room of the museum are not used with either of the new box expansion (Streets or North). The small cards and other world cards are used with the exception of the mythos deck. Also note that the location/room cards of Streets and North are only used in their respective games.

You can meld some of the new mini cards most stuff with a ! on them from Gates into the base game if you want to tweak some of the rules. However, there is 1 Common Item, 1 Unique Item, and 1 Monster that either uses a mechanic that's pretty hard to implement into the Museum (those new item cards grant you membership to 2 groups, which has no bearing in the adventures) or specifically announces Arkham Adventure (though you can argue it can affect the museum as Miskotronic University Museum IS in Arkham, but no dice for Omens In Ice because that's in Alaska, but at the same time you can use a Museum Map to discard a non Other World adventure and replace it with a new one regardless of setting, so, yeah).

As for the rule tweaks, we figured that for the event deck in Gates we roll a Green Die and put a token on the card if you get a Terror or Peril card and I figured for the Skill deck you roll a (separately provided) d8 and placed a different token on that card if you rolled an 8). The Gate Markers themselves is pretty simple to add: just replace the Other World drawing rules from the base game and replace it with Gates' rules. So, you can easily meld Monsters and Ancient Ones that open gates into the museum, including the 'final boss' of Gates (Yog 2.0, which loves to gate spam and adds doom tokens for every gate open EVERY MIDNIGHT). The playtester that suggested it is Julia (ScarletWitch), who was pretty active in the Elder Sign forums here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lomdr wrote:
As for the rule tweaks ... for the Skill deck you roll a (separately provided) d8 and placed a different token on that card if you rolled an 8).

Can you elaborate on that one for us? Why a d8 and what token on which card?

lomdr wrote:

The Gate Markers themselves is pretty simple to add: just replace the Other World drawing rules from the base game and replace it with Gates' rules.

How are you handling characters who have an Other World-related ability (one of the characters, can't remember her name, mentions them in her skill). Simply apply the skill to Gates instead?

(i own Arkham gates but haven't yet played it. i don't particularly like Omens of Ice.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the event and skill token on the cards, you'd have to supply your own tokens (Glass gems work fine if you or your team mates aren't color blind). As for the d8 over rolling a normal Elder Dice sign, I counted the GOA cards to see how many times the Skill reward showed up (9/76, which simplifies better to 1/8 than 1/10), so that's how I came up with a d8. You can easily get a d8 in a Cardinal Dice tube or any of the dice e-tailers.

And gates don't really change how Other Worlds work, it's just that when an OW card is drawn it gets a gate marker on one of the 6 adventures as long as the gates aren't sealed. So, the character that gets both a yellow and red die in OW adventures will still get them as long as they aren't locked by other cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.