9 Posts

Stonewall Jackson's Way II» Forums » News

Subject: GCACW Play at Winter Offensive 2017 Wargame Convention rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I continue to make plans for GCACW at Winter Offensive, MMP's annual wargame convention. If history serves it will be 12 to 15 January, 2017 at the Comfort Inn in Bowie, MD. I recommend that you don't make any reservations until MMP makes their formal announcement though. Here is my current plans.

Friday, January 13 will be a campaign game play day with all participants playing the same game for some cool side-by-side comparison. I am torn on what CG should be the default choice with three options submitted to my previous email (a revised HCR campaign, the Rebels in the Whitehouse and SJW II). All are awesome but think most players asked for the lowest common denominator. So for right now players may choose any campaign game they want with the default being SJW II. I will also offer on that Friday learning / orientation games for new players. If you want to volunteer helping me with this for 2017 let me know please.

All day Saturday, January 14 and the morning of Sunday, January 15 I will host scenario play. I will provide a scenario play list next update.

Current attendees are:
1) Ryan S. (both CG and scenario play)
2) Chris W. (both)
3) Clyde L. (both)
4) Thibault N. (both)
5) Dave C. (both)
6) Jeff T. (scenario play only)
7) David B. (scenario play only, tentative)
8) Ed B. (both)
9) Brent G. (both, tentative)
10) John D. (both)
11) Chris T. (both)
12) Phil B. (both)
13) Mark vR. (both)
14) Britt R. (both)
15) Will We. (both)
16) YOU?

What I need you to do:
1. Mark your calendars now and reserve 12 to 15 January, 2017 for WO 2017 and GCACW play
2 As soon as you are able let me know you attendance plans (even tentative) to help me with planning
3. Pass this email to your GCACW interested friends

I will send out another update in October or November.

I look forward to seeing you at WO 2107.

Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Cocke
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The inauguration is the weekend after MLKJ Day, so those dates look pretty good. I look forward to seeing you all there. Can Coyle play GCACW and ASL simultaneously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please remember all dates discussed are tentative pending an official convention announcement from MMP. I recommend you do not make any travel reservations until MMP finalizes their plans to host Winter Offensive. If history serves it will be 12 to 15 January, 2017 at the Comfort Inn in Bowie, MD.

***I recommend that you don't make any reservations until MMP makes their formal announcement***

Current attendees are:
2) Chris W. (both, tentative)
3) Clyde L. (both)
4) Dave C. (both)
5) Jeff T. (scenario play only)
6) David B. (scenario play only, tentative)
7) Ed B. (both)
8) Brent G. (both, tentative)
9) John D. (both)
10) Chris T. (both)
11) Phil B. (both)
12) Mark vR. (both)
13) Britt R. (both)
14) Will We. (both)
15) Joe Ch. (scenario play)
16) Greg T. (scenario play, tentative)
17) Mark B. (scenario play)
18) Randy S. (scenario play, tentative for CG)
19) Gene R. (both)
20) YOU?

See the attachment for my plans for campaign game play and scenario play (including rounds with selected scenarios).

What I need you to do:
1. Mark your calendars now and reserve 12 to 15 January, 2017 for WO 2017 and GCACW play
2. As soon as you are able let me know you attendance plans (even tentative) to help me with planning
3. Pass this email to your GCACW interested friends

I will send out another update in December. I look forward to seeing you at WO 2107.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Campaigns of the American Civil War (GCACW) Play
at Winter Offensive 2017

Welcome to play of GCACW at Winter Offensive 2017. I am glad you decided to spend some of your valuable gaming time to play this fine series of games.

Play Guidelines
1. For CG and open play you can match up against any opponent you want. Feel free to reach out and play someone new!
2. For scenario play I will match you up with players of like record.
3. Check in with me at the start and end of each game that you play - it is up to *you* to ensure the game results are properly recorded in Ryan's Master Record Log (RMRL).
4. I reserve the right to adjudicate a match that is going beyond the set time limits.
5. Good luck and have fun gaming!

Campaign Game play
Campaign game play will be on Friday, January 13th. See me first thing in the morning and I will match you up against a worthy like-minded opponent. Here are the guidelines:
a) You may play any campaign game you like but the default CG will be the 15 turn Stonewall Jackson’s way II Scenario 9 From The Rapidan to Manassas (page 58 in the SJW II rulebook).
b) Game play will start at 8:30 AM on Friday with an option to start play on Thursday evening.

Scenario Play
January 14th will be scenario day in a winner-plays-winner format. If enough players participate the final round will be played Sunday morning, January 15th. Here are the details:
a) First two rounds will feature shorter scenarios while the third round will showcase larger actions. The fourth and final round will feature a shorter action.
b) I will informally match up players between rounds in an attempt to determine a winner by Sunday noon.
c) One undefeated participant after two rounds will play a spoiler game against series lead developer Ed Beach in a scenario of the participant’s choice.

Round I (8:30 AM to 12:30 PM - 4 hours)
Format: Players informally matched up and log game results in Ryan's Master Record Log (RMRL).
a) SJWII Scenario 1 Cedar Mountain 3 turns [recommended for first time players]
b) AGA Scenario 2 Johnston Vs. Patterson 3 turns [needs HCR map]
c) GTC Scenario 1 The Battle of the Wilderness 2 turns [balance option: subtract 3 VP from the Union VP achieved at game end then compare to the scenario victory chart]

Round II (12:30 PM to 5:00 PM - 4.5 hours)
Format: Winner's in Round I should play winners. Log game results in the RMRL.
a) AGA Scenario 3 McDowell’s Opportunity 3 turn
b) SJW II Scenario 2 Lee Vs. Pope 2 turns
c) SJW II Jackson’s March 3 turns

Round III (5:00 PM to end of day - 5+ hours)
Format: Undefeated players should match up. Log games in the RMRL. One undefeated player will be paired against the series lead developer Ed Beach in any scenario desired from the series.
a) BAC Scenario 3 Battle of Chickamauga 3 turns [balance option: subtract 3 VP from the Confederate VP achieved at game end then compare to the scenario victory chart]
b) BAC Scenario 1 McLemore’s Cove 4 turns
c) SJW II Scenario 6 Bag the Whole Crowd 3 turns

Round IV (Sunday, 0800 for undefeated players)
a) GTC Scenario 5 Sheridan Rides South 4 turns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GCACW Fans,

Uploaded to this page the final guidelines for play of Great Campaigns of the American Civil War at Winter Offensive 2017. MMP has now made the formal announcement and confirmed the date and location for the convention; 12 to 15 January, 2017 at the Comfort Inn in Bowie, MD. See thier website for details and registration (http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Conventions/WinterOffensiv...). Don't forget to make matching hotel reservations.

I have 24 participants (!) after my last email update in October. We will have campaign game play on Friday and scenario play on Saturday and Sunday. When you show at Winter Offensive look me up and I will match you up with an opponent.

Current attendees are:
2) Chris W. (both, tentative)
3) Clyde L. (both)
4) Dave C. (both)
5) Jeff T. (scenario play only)
6) David B. (scenario play only, tentative)
7) Ed B. (both)
8) Brent G. (both, tentative)
9) John D. (both)
10) Chris T. (both)
11) Phil B. (both)
12) Mark vR. (both)
13) Britt R. (both)
14) Will We. (both)
15) Joe Ch. (scenario play only)
16) Greg T. (scenario play only, tentative)
17) Mark B. (scenario play only)
18) Randy S. (scenario play, tentative CG)
19) Gene R. (both)
20) Justin R. (both)
21) RobT.(both)
22) Ken L. (both)
23) John O. (both)
24) Mike J. (scenario play only)
25) You?

If you are on the fence about going now is the time to clear your schedule, commit and add you name to my participant list. Be brave. You will be glad you did.

I will send a final update in early January.

What I need you to do:
1. Go to the MMP website and register to attend Winter Offensive (http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Conventions/WinterOffensiv...)
2. Reserve your hotel room at the Bowie, MD Comfort Inn.
3. Confirm I have your participation details correct (campaign game, scenario play, or both)
4. Convince a GCACW interested friend to attend with you

Side Note #1: Ken L. is looking to start playing GCACW Thursday night in advance of our Friday morning group start. Ken is a great guy and a quality GCACW gamer. Please contact him direct if interested in his Thursday ystart proposal at ladypiratescoach (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Side Note #2: Ken is also planning some cool GCACW campaign game play 5 to 7 May 2017 at a north-central Pennsylvania family vacation home (free lodging for the participants!). Players would be either assigned to the USA or CSA and would earn points based upon how they perform in their games. The team with the most points takes home the Mason-Dixon Cup. Pairings would be based upon experience / ability. Participation will be limited so if you are interested you need to contact him to reserve your seat now.

Side note #3: The latest planned MMP GCACW releases, Atlanta is Ours and Road to Gettysburg II, have reached their pre-order numbers. The Atlanta game will mate with the Battle Above the Clouds map and take it to all the way to Atlanta to simulate Sherman's campaign to take same. The Roads to Gettysburg is really three updated games in one box: Here Comes the Rebels (1862 Antietam campaign), Roads to Gettysburg (1863 campaign) and Rebels in the White House (General Early in 1864). New scenarios, new maps, new counter art, thoroughly playtested and balanced of all the existing scenarios. There is a ton of play value in these games. If you have not ordered a copy do so now at the pre-order discount price. You can purchase each individually or both together as a two game package (which is what I did).

I look forward to seeing you at WO 2107.

Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for Saturday for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, Jesse I will add you in to the list.

See you there!

Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
25 players showed for play of Great Campaigns of the American Civil War during MMP's Winter Offensive wargame convention. We completed five campaign games and 30 scenarios over two days, including an 18 player scenario tournament won by Chris Withers in a grueling single day four round format. 

Friday campaign play featured three Stonewall Jackson's Way II Scenario 9 "From the Rapidan to Manassas" matches with one Union win and two draws (a probable marginal win for one side or the other if played to completion but stopped due to time). We also had playtest campaigns games from the soon to be released Atlanta is Ours and Roads to Gettysburg II. The latter featured the revised 1864 Gettysburg campaign game with a Union win near Meade's desired Pipe Creek line. Way cool. It was a real treat to watch five simultaneous campaign games unfold over a full day of play.

The Saturday scenario tournament opened with an impressive first round 18 players in nine simultaneous games. After four rounds, Chris emerged victorious besting Joe Chacon in a hard fought game of Grant Takes Command Scenario 5 Sheridan Rides South. Both players showed some real flashes of brilliance as well as stamina, both having survived three previous back-to-back rounds before starting the championship game late in the evening.

In addition to campaign and scenario tournament action we also had open play throughout the weekend. Participants hailed from VA (10 players), MD (5), PA (3), TX (2), CA (1), RI (1) and NY (1). Two US active duty military officers, one stationed in Ecuador and one in Portugal, flew in to participate. MMP provided excellent support and interest in our event, even providing a specially engraved GCACW 2017 glass dice cup for our tournament winner.

Scenario tournament and open play results were:
AGA Scenario 3 McDowell's Opportunity (two Confederate)
OTR Scenario 4 Seven Pines (one Confederate)
SJW II Scenario 1 Cedar Mountain (five Union wins, one Confederate win)
SJW II Scenario 2 Lee Vs. Pope (two Union, two Confederate)
SJW II Scenario 6 Bag the Whole Crowd (one Union, three Confederate)
BAC Scenario 1 McLemore's Cove (one Union, one Confederate)
BAC Scenario 2 Crossing Chickamauga Creek (three Union, four Confederate)
BAC Scenario 3 Battle of Chickamauga (one Union, one Confederate)
GTC Scenario 5 Sheridan Rides South (one Union)
GTC Scenario 6 Strike Them a Blow (one Union)

I hope you all enjoyed GCACW play at this year's Winter Offensive. I am open to your suggestions and clever ideas on how to improve GCACW play, participation and presence at future Winter Offensives.

I look forward to seeing you all back in 2018.

Ryan Schultz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Johannsen

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oceanweather wrote:

I hope you all enjoyed GCACW play at this year's Winter Offensive. I am open to your suggestions and clever ideas on how to improve GCACW play, participation and presence at future Winter Offensives.

I was at Winter Offensive to learn ASL, but enjoyed checking in on a few games of GCACW. Perhaps next year I'll dust off my GCACW skills and try to jump in for a scenario or two. I'm glad that the event was a rousing success and will continue next year.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.