$30.00
Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
61 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: only 150 copies at GenCon - what a screw-up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For what i've been seeing on multiple sources a lot of games have sold out before the Con opened...

Not the best way to do things IMO... but hey... that's how it is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
lotsokids wrote:
One of the hottest games for the last 6 months and they only took 150 copies to GenCon - And those were sold out before the Con actually opened at 10am. Way to go Plaidhat Games. What a Screwup and lost sales! Whoever made that decision - Bad move.

Wait, now that I think about it. Should we decide to pick it up eventually, It'll be cheaper on-line so - Way to go Plaidhat!!!!


I doubt very many people who were desperate to pick it up at the Con won't pick it up anyway. So, I doubt there are any lost sales.

Rather, the scarcity of the games at the Con actually adds to the buzz, so it's probably a good marketing tool rather than a bad one.

Sorry to hear you missed out, though, I had a similar experience when I visited a con last year, what we wanted was already gone (I didn't even know they had a thing where some people could get into the store in advance).
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lotsokids wrote:
One of the hottest games for the last 6 months and they only took 150 copies to GenCon - And those were sold out before the Con actually opened at 10am. Way to go Plaidhat Games. What a Screwup and lost sales! Whoever made that decision - Bad move.

Wait, now that I think about it. Should we decide to pick it up eventually, It'll be cheaper on-line so - Way to go Plaidhat!!!!




This is a ridiculous attitude.

Plaid Hat would be fully aware of how much hype and interest there was for this game. They would know that basically every person coming through those doors would want a copy. As you say it will be cheaper online later so PH would want to make as much money as possible. So do you think its at all possible that's the most copies they could get there? Do you think they like turning people away? Surely they want to make their customers happy, and want to see the game selling (and not just PH but Rob too). So surely if they could've got more copies they would've. There is literally no reason for them to restrict it to so few, unless that was all they could get. Tom Vassel has mentioned it so many times on the Dice Tower - publishers are 100% not just taking smaller amounts, they take what they can.
70 
 Thumb up
1.34
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You have an opportunity to correct this by buying into the VIP program at Gen Con. The only thing I can think of to criticize Plaid Hat for would be over selling multiple copies to people (more than 2+ per person.) I saw a lot of that with must have titles when I went to Gen Con 2013 and found it very irritating.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamshadow wrote:
You have an opportunity to correct this by buying into the VIP program at Gen Con. The only thing I can think of to criticize Plaid Hat for would be over selling multiple copies to people (more than 2+ per person.) I saw a lot of that with must have titles when I went to Gen Con 2013 and found it very irritating.


They didn't do this. Isaac Vega was on the Tuesday Night Games podcast and he confirmed that they were only selling one per customer.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
65 
 Thumb up
0.52
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We would have greatly preferred to have 1400 copies! :D Sometimes late in production you have to choose to fix things and make the game perfect and therefore have less printed in time for a con than you wanted. We'd rather have the best possible game.

Sorry to those who were disappointed, I hated turning people a way !!

Yes, 1 copy per person, we were even turning away media and exhibitors for a while trying to get as many into the hands of the fans as possible. In the end VIGs plus a few press and exhibitors (at the end of that line) were able to take advantage of being in there early to snatch them all up.
45 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, though, under the Asmodee banner, maybe PHG will be able to hit more conventions to spread the pre-pre-release love with future games.
There's no reason Gencon has to be uniquely special for this kind of thing.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:



Amazing
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
lotsokids wrote:
One of the hottest games for the last 6 months and they only took 150 copies to GenCon - And those were sold out before the Con actually opened at 10am. Way to go Plaidhat Games. What a Screwup and lost sales! Whoever made that decision - Bad move.

Wait, now that I think about it. Should we decide to pick it up eventually, It'll be cheaper on-line so - Way to go Plaidhat!!!!


Two assumptions here that are just wrong, unfortunately.

1) The amount of the games they brought were not really a choice. It's all they could get air shipped in time for the Con. You could have had a less final/good game if they started production before they felt it was ready. They certainly would have took more games if they could have. Why wouldn't they? As you point out, it's lost sales for them.

2) Technically the con was open....to the high paying VIGs. The VIG program is more to blame than anything. Paying a few hundred dollars to get in early means that this is going to continue to happen to hot releases on tight schedules.
12 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joepinion wrote:
We would have greatly preferred to have 1400 copies! Sometimes late in production you have to choose to fix things and make the game perfect and therefore have less printed in time for a con than you wanted. We'd rather have the best possible game.

Sorry to those who were disappointed, I hated turning people a way !!

Yes, 1 copy per person, we were even turning away media and exhibitors for a while trying to get as many into the hands of the fans as possible. In the end VIGs plus a few press and exhibitors (at the end of that line) were able to take advantage of being in there early to snatch them all up.


I told you so *looks smug*
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, people will just go preorder it anyway after not getting it at the con if they want it that bad and couldn't get it. They obviously ^ did not bring 150 copies because they only wanted to bring 150 copies, but rather because it's all they could bring.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re more than one copy per sale: Good to know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd blame the lack of amazing new titles for this year. Seafall and Cry Havoc were hugely expected to sell out, and did; as did the Harry Potter card game (daily allotment).

What I find unsettling is that companies are ok with cleaning out their entire stock on day 1, with nothing else going on the other 3 days of the con. Kudos to Blue Orange, USAopoly and some others for dividing their stock among the 4 days of the con to try and give more people a chance other than VIP scalpers (yeah, tons of Seafall and Cry Havoc on ebay and resale sites).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiniest violin in the world here playing for you.

Preorders are only likely to go out in September. Those were all the copies they could get in time for the con. You are complaining that VIGs got to jump the queue at GenCon and because of that... YOU could not also jump the queue by being present at GenCon.

Gamer entitlement personified.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel H
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joepinion wrote:
We would have greatly preferred to have 1400 copies! :D Sometimes late in production you have to choose to fix things and make the game perfect and therefore have less printed in time for a con than you wanted. We'd rather have the best possible game.

Sorry to those who were disappointed, I hated turning people a way !!

Yes, 1 copy per person, we were even turning away media and exhibitors for a while trying to get as many into the hands of the fans as possible. In the end VIGs plus a few press and exhibitors (at the end of that line) were able to take advantage of being in there early to snatch them all up.

So have there been errors with production beside the missing die?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's more of an issue with the VIG program. I would like to see equal opportunity provided to every person that attends the con. It's compounded by the fact that VIGs get first dibs at VIG again. That's two layers of unequal opportunity. Let everyone have a chance to camp in front of the doors, run, and get trampled.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
I think it's more of an issue with the VIG program. I would like to see equal opportunity provided to every person that attends the con. It's compounded by the fact that VIGs get first dibs at VIG again. That's two layers of unequal opportunity. Let everyone have a chance to camp in front of the doors, run, and get trampled.


If VIGs were other developers and game industry people, that was always my first assumption. When I found out they were just $600 tickets for early dibs on limited copies of games, I was a bit bummed.

I'd almost rather them all go to exhibitors that are stuck working on the exhibition floor the entire time they are open, and already have to miss out on all of the deals.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cause nobody announced a limited supply ahead of time.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
I think it's more of an issue with the VIG program. I would like to see equal opportunity provided to every person that attends the con. It's compounded by the fact that VIGs get first dibs at VIG again. That's two layers of unequal opportunity. Let everyone have a chance to camp in front of the doors, run, and get trampled.


It is also an issue (like I said in my "serious" comment above) with the fact that these "exclusives" are limited to Gencon. With the rise in popularity of gaming these days, they need to cover a larger breadth of conventions with these special deals.
I'd rather see them have, say, 5 copies of the latest-and-greatest game at each of 30 smaller conventions spread around the country/world, than 150 copies at one exclusive bloated super-con.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmb
lotsokids wrote:
One of the hottest games for the last 6 months and they only took 150 copies to GenCon - And those were sold out before the Con actually opened at 10am. Way to go Plaidhat Games. What a Screwup and lost sales! Whoever made that decision - Bad move.

Wait, now that I think about it. Should we decide to pick it up eventually, It'll be cheaper on-line so - Way to go Plaidhat!!!!
Best if read in Trump's voice.
24 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Legend5555 wrote:
I think it's more of an issue with the VIG program. I would like to see equal opportunity provided to every person that attends the con. It's compounded by the fact that VIGs get first dibs at VIG again. That's two layers of unequal opportunity. Let everyone have a chance to camp in front of the doors, run, and get trampled.


It is also an issue (like I said in my "serious" comment above) with the fact that these "exclusives" are limited to Gencon. With the rise in popularity of gaming these days, they need to cover a larger breadth of conventions with these special deals.
I'd rather see them have, say, 5 copies of the latest-and-greatest game at each of 30 smaller conventions spread around the country/world, than 150 copies at one exclusive bloated super-con.


Some people are getting upset when they bring 150 games, and you want them to only bring 5?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:


Somebody sticky this to the top of all GenCon boards.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A buddy of mine is working the Con and was there plenty early but was told he had to pre-order it. He was anticipating getting it as we already have a group set to play.

So we have to wait a few more weeks, not the end of the world that's for sure.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the next post from somebody is going to be "Man, they made so many mistakes in the rulebook and the components! If the game wasn't rerady they shouldn't have released it!"

Moral of the story, you can't please all of the people all of the time.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.