Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It did load once, currently fails during start-up, not locking up, but quitting out back to the OS.

Anyone else seen this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
RedShark92 wrote:
It did load once, currently fails during start-up, not locking up, but quitting out back to the OS.

Anyone else seen this?

Yup, exactly the same as you.

When I run it, after 10 seconds I get the FFG logo on the screen and then after 27 seconds it seems to exit and returns to the menu screen for the tablet.

I've tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it, shutting down my device, clearing the data and cache of the app. None of this seems to change the fact that the app doesn't load.

The version available on the Amazon Appstore is 1.0.0
File size 96.6Mb and the Latest Developer Update is 01 August 2016

I also have the Descent Road to Legend app and Elder Sign Omens app running on the same tablet and no problems there.

Yesterday, I happened to try running it from the appstore (in as much I press the orange "OPEN" button) and it worked. I was able to navigate around the various menus and suchlike. Background music, sound effects all seemed to be OK. I then exited it but since then it hasn't opened again.

I also note that the one review in the Amazonappstore reports that it doesn't work on the Kindle.

I sent an email off to softwaresupport@fantasyflightgames.com and gave the above details. I suggest you do the same. Since it's GenCon week, I suspect that it might be a while before we get any reply (beyond the auto "We're out the office" response).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
I also note that the one review in the Amazonappstore reports that it doesn't work on the Kindle.

Because it's not a book...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:

Are you on a 2nd Gen Fire or a newer one?

Quote:
When I run it, after 10 seconds I get the FFG logo on the screen and then after 27 seconds it seems to exit and returns to the menu screen for the tablet.

This is identical behavior to mine.

Quote:
I've tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it, shutting down my device, clearing the data and cache of the app. None of this seems to change the fact that the app doesn't load.

Likewise. I did actually get it to load once. When I first downloaded it did this, I restarted the device and it did work. Luckily I don't have an actual game in progress yet, was just fiddling around with the app.

Quote:
I also have the Descent Road to Legend app and Elder Sign Omens app running on the same tablet and no problems there.

Likewise.

Quote:
Yesterday, I happened to try running it from the appstore (in as much I press the orange "OPEN" button) and it worked. I was able to navigate around the various menus and suchlike. Background music, sound effects all seemed to be OK. I then exited it but since then it hasn't opened again.

So you cannot run it that way now?

Quote:

Does the Amazon Appstore serve any devices besides Kindles?

Quote:
I sent an email off to softwaresupport@fantasyflightgames.com and gave the above details. I suggest you do the same. Since it's GenCon week, I suspect that it might be a while before we get any reply (beyond the auto "We're out the office" response).

I'll do that.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Presumably they mean a Kindle Fire, which is a tablet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

That would make more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have it on a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 and it seems to be running OK on that. I'm not sure how that relates to a Kindle Fire 2nd gen. The version of the FFG app shows as v1.0.0(174). I hope this info might be of some help, and that FFG can resolve your problem quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
bleached_lizard wrote:
RedShark92 wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

Seriously, you thought it was referring to a Kindle book and not the Kindle Fire. Seriously!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
RedShark92 wrote:
xris wrote:

Are you on a 2nd Gen Fire or a newer one?

See below.

RedShark92 wrote:
xris wrote:

So you cannot run it that way now?

That's the only time it's run so far.

I'm trying to work out if there was anything different I did to get it to work but can't think of anything. I've tried repeating the same steps as before but as usual, after 37 seconds, it returns to wherever I was before i.e. back to the main carousel or back to the appstore (when I try launching the app from the appstore).

I'm wondering if it has to do with available memory or something. It's not as if the tablet's 32Mb is full, it claims that 12Gb of 27Gb space is available.
keitharchaeologist wrote:
I have it on a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 and it seems to be running OK on that. I'm not sure how that relates to a Kindle Fire 2nd gen. The version of the FFG app shows as v1.0.0(174). I hope this info might be of some help, and that FFG can resolve your problem quickly.

My tablet is a Kindle Fire HD 7" 32Gb from 2012. It's almost 4 years old now.

Never know how that relates to which generation it is.

The one time the app did run, I'm sure I noticed that it identified itself as v1.0.0(174). I think that's the only version currently available for Kindle Fire users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
RedShark92 wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

Seriously, you thought it was referring to a Kindle book and not the Kindle Fire. Seriously!

I could totally see some numpty trying to load the MoM app onto a regular Kindle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is the second incarnation of the 'basic' (e.g., not an HD) Kindle Fire. These came out in 2012.

Details on it here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindle_Fire#Models

HD info here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_HD#Models

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McDonald
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same problem with my kindle fire. Sigh.

RedShark92 wrote:
Mine is the second incarnation of the 'basic' (e.g., not an HD) Kindle Fire. These came out in 2012.

Details on it here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindle_Fire#Models

HD info here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_HD#Models

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Interestingly enough, I have had the app load and work a total of three four times now.

Now clearly this isn't a solution or anything but as far as I can see, it's pretty much random as to when it decides to load or not.

I've had it work when loading from the appstore once and twice three times it worked when loading from the carousel.

I tried repeatedly loading it and that seems to offer the best chance of the app working. Yesterday, it loaded after the fourth consecutive attempt.

As I was typing this post, I was trying again and this time it worked after the third consecutive attempt (i.e. the first few attempts return to the carousel after the usual 27 seconds but on the third attempt it loaded and I was even able to continue the game I saved last night).

So, all of you Kindle Fire users, just try repeatedly loading the app. If, after 27 seconds it returns to the carousel, just try immediately loading it again. Keep on trying and it may work after a number of attempts.

As a temporary stopgap until a fix is released, at least might give you a chance to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Downloaded the latest version, v1.0.1 (189) just now.

No difference to the loading problem. It took something like 5 consecutive attempts before it actually loaded.

While this no doubt fixes many of the reported bugs, it still seems flaky when it comes to loading the app.

I guess it helps that at least it does seem possible to load the app, you just need to keep trying.

EDIT: As a note, it seems that after the update, it lost the saved game I had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update loaded for me on the first try. I'll check it again here and there to see if that's consistent.

My previous save is still intact, btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iziak Marsh
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
Interestingly enough, I have had the app load and work a total of three four times now.

Now clearly this isn't a solution or anything but as far as I can see, it's pretty much random as to when it decides to load or not.

I've had it work when loading from the appstore once and twice three times it worked when loading from the carousel.

I tried repeatedly loading it and that seems to offer the best chance of the app working. Yesterday, it loaded after the fourth consecutive attempt.

As I was typing this post, I was trying again and this time it worked after the third consecutive attempt (i.e. the first few attempts return to the carousel after the usual 27 seconds but on the third attempt it loaded and I was even able to continue the game I saved last night).

So, all of you Kindle Fire users, just try repeatedly loading the app. If, after 27 seconds it returns to the carousel, just try immediately loading it again. Keep on trying and it may work after a number of attempts.

As a temporary stopgap until a fix is released, at least might give you a chance to play.

Cheers bud, I had given up hope and resigned myself to buying a new tablet just to play this. Follwing your lead, gave my ol' Fire several chances to load this up and, after about 8 tries, it worked.

Thing is, the situation is even more frustrating, knowing that it CAN run perfectly fine on a Kindle Fire, just that its so trial and error to get it to fire up (pun intended). I retried after closing it down and it took about 12 attempts to get it to load.

I hope a fix comes quickly, cos I need my fix of of this new game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Old Deep One wrote:
xris wrote:

Cheers bud, I had given up hope and resigned myself to buying a new tablet just to play this. Follwing your lead, gave my ol' Fire several chances to load this up and, after about 8 tries, it worked.

Thing is, the situation is even more frustrating, knowing that it CAN run perfectly fine on a Kindle Fire, just that its so trial and error to get it to fire up (pun intended). I retried after closing it down and it took about 12 attempts to get it to load.

I hope a fix comes quickly, cos I need my fix of of this new game!

Make sure you send an email off to...

softwaresupport@fantasyflightgames.com

and explain the problem in as much detail as you can. The more reports of this bug they get, the greater the chance they'll fix it.

It's a pain but at least it shows our devices do work and it just must be some sort of timing issue that prevents it from loading each time.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Just a reminder for those of you Kindle Fire users who are still having a problem with getting the app to work consistently, please ensure you send an email to...

softwaresupport@fantasyflightgames.com

and supply them with as much information as you can concerning the problem.

I got a reply from them this morning indicating that they are trying to work on the problem but they have been unable to replicate the problem on their Kindle Fire device.

As for me, I find that I can eventually get the app to load and run but it requires for me to attempt to launch it repeatedly. For example...

18 attempts before it loaded and ran.
I then shutdown the Kindle and rebooted, I immediately tried MoM and it worked on the first attempt.
I exited the app and tried launching it again and it took 5 attempts before it worked.
Tried again and it took 5 attempts to get it loaded.

RedShark92 wrote:
Update loaded for me on the first try. I'll check it again here and there to see if that's consistent.

Do you still have an issue or does it seems to be fixed for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still having the issue. I did receive this email late last week, however:

Hello Joe,

Thank you for the bug report. I am sorry you encountered an issue with one of our products.

We have identified the issue that causes some devices, such as the 2nd Gen Kindle Fire, to have difficulties in starting the app. We expect an update to correct this issue next week.

Thank you for your patience while we work to resolve this matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
I just had the app update itself, to version 1.0.4 (268) and the load problems I had seemed to have totally disappeared.

The app now loads correctly with no problems. Tried a number of times now and each time the app loads as expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
I just had the app update itself, to version 1.0.4 (268) and the load problems I had seemed to have totally disappeared.

The app now loads correctly with no problems. Tried a number of times now and each time the app loads as expected.

Same here... seems solved for now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.