Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: clarifications on gameplay. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Medez
Philippines
flag msg tools
Hey.

My friends and I just recently started playing legendary marvel deck building game and we kinda encountered some situations during gameplay that left us kinda unsure with what we were supposed to do. I was hoping that you could clarify any of our concerns with regards to the actual applications on the gameplay. Any response and advice will be most appreciated.

1) On the very FIRST TURN of the game, my friend played a scheme twist card from the villain deck and we applied its effect accordingly. Should we draw a new card until a villain card appears on the city space? or should we not draw again? Is it a requirement that on the very first turn of the game that a villain card should be drawn from the villain deck?

2) We played with the "Legacy Virus" scheme and with Magneto as the mastermind. The "Legacy Virus" scheme states that Evil wins when the wound stack runs out. My friend just defeated the LAST Magneto matermind tactic card and its fight effect states: Each player reveals an XMEN hero or gains two wounds. Coincidentally, the wound stack had only two wound left. Do we still apply the effect of the LAST mastermind tactic card even though we just defeated mastermind? If so, how does this affect the game since if we apply the effect, the conditions for the scheme have been met. Did we already win when we defeated the FINAL mastermind tactic card or do we lose if we apply its effect?

3)We played with the "Secret Invasion of the Skrulls" scheme which states that Evil wins when 6 or 8 heroes (I forgot the text) have entered the escape pile. When the villains Skrull Queen Veranka and the Skrull Shapeshifter enter the city, the card effect states that the hero to the rightmost part of the HQ is placed beneath those cards until they are defeated. In the event that Skrull Queen Veranka or the Skrull Shapeshifter escape, do they carry the hero card with them to the escape pile? or does the hero card return to the HQ?

Any insight and advice would be very much appreciated. Big thank you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the community!

1) You don't draw another card. If the first card you draw is a bystander, it goes straight underneath the mastermind. If it's a villain, it enters the city. If it's a scheme twist/ master strike, do whatever the scheme / mastermind tell you to do.

2) Yes, you still apply the effects (mainly because this increases the difficulty, as your example clearly shows). So, unfortunately, you have lost. But you've been really close to winning, for what it's worth!

3) The heroes that are placed underneath Veranka or any other villain with similar text (there are similar villains in other expansions) goes to the escape pile, just as a bystander would (but you don't have to discard a card). Unfortunately, this means that if Veranka escapes, she takes with her 2 heroes (the one underneath her and one from the HQ). Heroes that leave the HQ never return there.

I'm 100% sure of the answers to questions 1) and 3). However, I'd like someone to confirm the answer to the second question (i'm at work and cannot consult the rulebook).

I also suggest that you play a variant that is called Final Blow (introduced in Dark City, if I'm not mistaken), that is very cool - you have to defeat the mastermind a 5th time, this time taking his mastermind card. This represents you finally finishing off the mastermind. It slightly increases the difficulty of the game, even without any other expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I confirm Adelin's answers for 1 & 3, but have to disagree with answer 2.

Once you've defeated the Mastermind, the game is over. You resolve the text on the last Mastermind Tactic card, simply as a formality, in case you have to discard or gain new bystanders or villains, as this would change you VPs.

But once the mastermind has been defeated the 4th time (or 5th time with Final Blow rules), then any other effects that might cause you to lose are nullified.

Contrarily, if you happen to have drawn a wound card first and emptied the wound deck, then while finishing your turn you managed to defeat the mastermind, you would still lose the game, as you lost the game before having defeated the MM. It's all about Order of Operations.

Long story short, once you've met all the victory conditions, you cannot un-win the game, you've won, period.

As for Final Blow, I have to agree 500% with Adelin, we only ever play that Variant. It's a very small change, but it makes winning the game that much more satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theorel Masheriel
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I think Adelin is wrong on 2.
See https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/896480/when-does-game-actua...

Although as far as I can tell Devin only addressed the specific instance of Evil Wins condition occurring during the extra turn from Doom's secrets of Time travel, the general principal seems to be that once you beat the fourth tactic (before you execute it's fight effect) you've won. Anything from the fight effect happens, but the Good Wins result is unchanged.

(Note: this jives with other fight effects which are considered to happen after the card hits your victory pile, i.e. Cross-Dimensional Rampages)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.

Beat him the 4th time...you can pretty much ignore the fight effect.

Unless you stated you were playing Final Blow before the game started. Then you would have lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on Adelin's side here. Not just because everyone should be playing the Final Blow variant (not Final Showdown, which is clunky garbage), but because of how the rules work.

The rules say that (without any variants) the Mastermind is defeated when you defeat his final tactic. BUT they also say that the last part of defeating a tactic is to do whatever its fight effect says (Page 14, original rulebook). Now, most Mastermind tactics would be irrelevant in this situation, but in the case mentioned in the original post, it is VERY relevant. Because the resolution of that fight effect caused them to lose the game, I'd say the game never gets a chance to "check" that they had also won the game.

But again, everyone on this board should be playing Final Blow. It makes the game 10 times better. And it's not some weird funky variant where you have to change how everything works, you just beat the Mastermind a 5th and final time. If you haven't been doing that since Dark City came out....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Medez
Philippines
flag msg tools
Thanks. I appreciate the solid tips and insight. Happy gaming. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
I'd go with 2 being a situation where Good wins but the final fight effect still must be carried out as it may affect victory point totals.

As an example, it would be possible to lose due to being forced to KO a non-gray hero by that final tactic and, if you've already defeated an Ultron villain at some point in the game, losing a Tech Hero will lose you a Victory point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runnestrand wrote:
I'm on Adelin's side here. Not just because everyone should be playing the Final Blow variant (not Final Showdown, which is clunky garbage), but because of how the rules work.

The rules say that (without any variants) the Mastermind is defeated when you defeat his final tactic. BUT they also say that the last part of defeating a tactic is to do whatever its fight effect says (Page 14, original rulebook). Now, most Mastermind tactics would be irrelevant in this situation, but in the case mentioned in the original post, it is VERY relevant. Because the resolution of that fight effect caused them to lose the game, I'd say the game never gets a chance to "check" that they had also won the game.

But again, everyone on this board should be playing Final Blow. It makes the game 10 times better. And it's not some weird funky variant where you have to change how everything works, you just beat the Mastermind a 5th and final time. If you haven't been doing that since Dark City came out....

Considering Devin himself said the players win regardless of the end result of doing the Tactic's fight effect, I have to disagree.

Also, I disagree on "everyone on this board should be playing Final Blow." It's a variant, not a core rule. No shame in playing it straight up with no extra blows of any sort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
No shame in playing it straight up with no extra blows of any sort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Final Showdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.