Subject: Question about Horror card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Hiraki
Netherlands
Heeswijk-Dinther
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I played my first game. I received a lot of horror cards.
Only 1 of the cards (for now) we didn't really understand.

The Claustrophobia card is talking about 2 or less spaces.

Can someone explain how that card works?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember the exact wording, but if I'm right it's something like:

If you end your turn within range of 2 or fewer spaces, take 1 horror.

"Within range" means "within 3 spaces (but not through doors)". So if you read the card with that in mind then the card reads as:

If you end your turn within 3 spaces (not through doors) of 2 or fewer spaces, take 1 horror.

If you take into account the theme of the card (Claustrophobia), it makes even more sense; your investigator doesn't like small spaces, so if they end up in a place where they can't count more than 2 spaces without passing through a door, they freak out and take some horror.

Does that make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia: the range actually refers to the spaces themselves. So, for instance, if an investigator is in an outdoor space where there are few doors to block range, Claustrophobia would rarely have an effect. But in small rooms (usually on the small rectangular tiles, but also divisions of larger tiles like the Conservatory) there are doors and walls blocking range to other spaces so Claustrophobia would inflict Horror until the investigator moves to a larger area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To put it in a slightly different way, you don't like being in small rooms that have 2 or fewer spaces total (since if you are occupying one of the spaces, you would be in range of 2 or fewer without going into another room).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inmat4251 wrote:
To put it in a slightly different way, you don't like being in small rooms that have 32 or fewer spaces total (since if you are occupying one of the spaces, you would be in range of 2 or fewer without going into another room).
The space you are on is also within your range, it also counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the correction, that makes more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2nd edition hasn't arrived yet, so (in terms of 1st ed. tiles) this effect would mainly just apply to one-space rooms such as closet, shed, etc. Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Hiraki
Netherlands
Heeswijk-Dinther
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if i'm correct.

You have to check if 3 spaces including the one where you ends are "within Range". If there are less then 3 spaces you take the horror? And range cannot be counted through walls and doors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaiji wrote:
So if i'm correct.

You have to check if 3 spaces including the one where you ends are "within Range". If there are less then 3 spaces you take the horror? And range cannot be counted through walls and doors.
Yup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Saber72 wrote:
My 2nd edition hasn't arrived yet, so (in terms of 1st ed. tiles) this effect would mainly just apply to one-space rooms such as closet, shed, etc. Is that right?

2-space rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Saber72 wrote:

2-space rooms.

If they are closed with doors. There is even a 1 space room, but not closed with doors, so if it connects to 2 space or bigger room the claustrophobia did not kick on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.