Subject: Solo play: Beat 50 VP in 18 turns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest the following solo play variant, based entirely on the standard rules as written (RAW) but with a few extra numbers (rule 1-4) and circulation (5, 6):

1. The goal is to beat your own best score, or at least 50 VP, according to the RAW minus a turn delay deduction, by emptying a 15 token harvest VP pool, in a limited number of turns.

2. Set up the game with 8 Level 1 Advancements. (The RAW says 12, 15, 18 for 2, 3, 4 players). 3 on display, 5 in a draw pile.

3. There is only one player, you.

4. Count the number of turns you play until all the 15 harvest pool VP runs out. Currently my suggested cut-off value for nominal number of turns is 18 turns. You will have a deduction of VP based on this. For each extra turn, you lose more and more VP like this**:
Turns Deduction
17, 16,... 0
18 0
19 1
20 3
21 6
22 10
23 15
24 21
25 28
26 36
27 45

Example 1: So if you end the game one turn late, with a 50 VP score, your total is 50-1 = 49 VP.
Example 2: If you end the game two turns late with 54 VP, it becomes 54-3 = 51 VP.
The cut-off value is determined large enough so that in most cases, we do not have to calculate any deduction at all. But the cut-off must be small enough to punish any lingering play style, you must perform a quick harvest pool playstyle to get a high score, otherwise the cut-off will hunt you down.

5. You may use your rights to buy Vale cards to circulate cards instead. Pay 1 spirit to move a face up level I or II Vale card back to the bottom of the corresponding draw pile. The gaps are replenished in the Discard phase.

6. You may use your rights to buy Advancements to circulate Advancements instead. Pay 1 mana to remove a Level 1 Advancement from the Commons first line. It is out of the game. It is replenished in the Discard phase from those Level 1 Advancements left in the box at setup.
Pay 1 mana to circulate a Level 2 or 3 Advancement. Put it at the bottom of the corresponding face-down draw deck. It is replenished in the normal way as if you bought it.

An example session is stored in the "sessions" subforum: "Mystic Vale solo" with spoiler protection for the actual score.
Best documented score: Annotated solo play, my best recorded result.

**): The total deduction becomes TRIANG(TURNS-18). TRIANG() is the Triangular numbers, TRIANG(1)=1, TRIANG(2)=3, TRIANG(3)=6, 10, 15...
TURNS is your number of turns taken to empty the harvest VP pool.
TURNS-18 is the number of turns you need more than the nominal value.

Edit: Changed the numbers towards a harder challenge.
Edit: If using the expansion cards, see Vale of Magic Solo Play
Edit: Added Vale card circulation.
Edit: Added Advancement circulation.

Edit: Simplified the circulation rules, now always 1 spirit or mana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hewitt
United States
Wexford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solo play. Beat your own maximum score
I'd probably add something to cycle the cards. For example:

1. Use the setup for 2 players.
2. All cards rows are arranged left-to-right
3. After your turn, discard (permanently) the right-most remaining card of each type you bought (if you bought a level 1 vale card, a level 3 card, and a "top" fertile soil, discard the right-most-remaining level 1 vale card, the right-most remaining level 3 card and another "top" fertile soil).
4. Slide all cards to the right, then fill in any holes as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solo play: Beat 40 VP in 19 turns
This looks interesting, but I don't understand the setup completely. What does 'Set up with 8 Level I Enhancements' mean? Set up as normal except that there will be 8 level I enhancements? What happens as they are bought?

Without cycling, your initial score will be strongly dependent on initial setup. Also cycling, apart from simulating other players, forces a new kind of choice on the solo player. Do I buy X, which gives me a late-game benefit but is about to cycle out, or Y, which gives me an early benefit but won't cycle for a while? Do I risk spoiling to get that awesome card that is about to be cycled out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2, 3 and 4 player rules on page 4 states how many level 1 advancements there should be, and if that limited deck runs out, you should fill The Commons with level 2 advancements. I just extrapolated those numbers as scientifically I could come up with. Actually the extrapolated number is 7.5, which I rounded upwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
The 2, 3 and 4 player rules on page 4 states how many level 1 advancements there should be, and if that limited deck runs out, you should fill The Commons with level 2 advancements. I just extrapolated those numbers as scientifically I could come up with. Actually the extrapolated number is 7.5, which I rounded upwards.

Sorry, I see now. I'm so dumb.

What do you think about cycling? It's tricky with the (eventually) mixed rows of advancements, and the 'cascade'. I was thinking of 'each row that you buy from loses the rightmost card during the discard phase'. It isn't perfect, but it simulates other players of similar level, makes the level 1 advancements very precious, and causes each buy to have an effect on the tableau.

Not that I think your interesting variant needs it, but I think it might improve it further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for posting this variant. I have played it about 4 times now.

Let me get this out of the way: I didn't understand anything about the calculations you need to make at the end in order to know you final score, and never even bothered to try them. Much too complicated. I instead keep track of my final score and the number of turns. My last game was a disaster as it took me 27 turns to deplete the VP pool.

And that leads to my second point: you say you do not see the point of having advancement cycle. Well, in my last game, I had nothing but spirit symbol, and no way to get rid of decay at all for at least 13 turns. And boy, was the game unfair and boring. All I could do was amass spirit symbols and mana and hope that some kind of decay negation card would show up, so that I could take those VP generating cards.
This led to an overly long game, which was a pain to keep track of.
The only game I won had me buy 1 Deadwood Harvester, 2 bears (waiting for me since the first turn) and 1 Mindfull Owl. Getting the bears was easy as I could take all the time I needed to prepare for them: they would never go away.

Some card cycling seems essential to add pressure to the game, but also to get out of a sticky, unfair situation were you waste your time and mana for cards that are suboptimal compared to a multiplayer game.

As is, the variant is interesting but too random. And the final calculation doesn't really make sense to me. Still, gives an opportunity to get this thing out of its humongous box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I didn't understand anything about the calculations you need to make at the end in order to know you final score, and never even bothered to try them. Much too complicated. I instead keep track of my final score and the number of turns. My last game was a disaster as it took me 27 turns to deplete the VP pool.

27 turns: A deduction of TRIANG(27-18), -TRIANG(9), i.e. -45 VP. If you do not deduct VP for slow play, the optimal play would be to avoid any harvest pool VP at all, and just linger on and eventually buy everything other card except harvest pool VP, not a very realistic multiplayer scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
I didn't understand anything about the calculations you need to make at the end in order to know you final score, and never even bothered to try them. Much too complicated. I instead keep track of my final score and the number of turns. My last game was a disaster as it took me 27 turns to deplete the VP pool.

27 turns: A deduction of TRIANG(27-18), -TRIANG(9), i.e. -45 VP. If you do not deduct VP for slow play, the optimal play would be to avoid any harvest pool VP at all, and just linger on and eventually buy everything other card except harvest pool VP, not a very realistic multiplayer scenario.

I still aim for a fast depletion of the pool. I mentioned that particular game because there was no way I could get the 15 tokens faster. Because of the lack of cycling for the advancement cards.

I still don't get the calculation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have added a table in the OP. Just look at the "27" row, and you will find a deduction of 45 VP.
Regarding the lack of cycling: It forces the solo player to adapt. He can not just rely on the same tactics over and over. When confronted with a star spirit heavy Vale pool, but no star spirits to buy, it is a hard nut to crack. It will happen in multiplayer too, so it is best to be prepared!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Some card cycling seems essential to add pressure to the game, but also to get out of a sticky, unfair situation were you waste your time and mana for cards that are suboptimal compared to a multiplayer game.

I have added a Vale card cycling rule to the original post. It is a back-off from me to hopefully let the variant gather more thumbsup. Thanks for the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice. I like that you have to pay for this cycling effect. Is the Vale card shuffled back, or put at the bottom of its deck, though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have added a circulation rule for Advancements as well, on public demand. It costs mana and an Advancements opportunity to circulate, it is not free. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.