BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Choice of Lore Deck before scenario cards!?!?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jman Z
msg tools
mbmbmb
Am i the only one who find this stupid?

Just like it would be silly if you had to muster your army before you know what scenario cards your playing.

(and i dont house-rule -_- )

From a given expansion:
During the “Create Lore Decks and Scenario Decks” step of
“Complete Setup” (found on page 14 of the core rulebook),
the Daqan player may choose to use either the Daqan lore deck
included in the core game or the Hernfar Guardians lore deck.

6. Create Lore Decks and Scenario Decks: Each player
takes the lore cards and scenario cards that correspond to his
chosen faction, shuffles them into two separate decks, and
places the decks facedown in his play area.

7. Draw, Reveal, and Resolve Scenario Cards: Each player
draws three scenario cards from his scenario deck, chooses
one, and returns all other scenario cards to the game box.
Then, both players simultaneously reveal and resolve their
chosen scenario cards (see “Resolving Scenario Cards” to
the right).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't understand. The rules say you choose your lore cards after you've setup the scenario and mustered your army. Look at the rules for the Hernfar Guardian expansion, or the red army expansion (forget the name of it)

*edit*

I see what you mean. First you choose the lore deck, setup scenario and minis, then do the lore customization.

I know you don't houserule and I'm not asking you to, but I analyzed the lore decks when I created my variant. Basically, it takes into account that both decks have 20 cards each, but 10 of the cards in each deck are identical. So only the 10 other cards in each (20 in both) are specific to that deck, meaning that in the vast majority of games, most of those first 10 identical cards will be used. Ergo, only the 10 + 10 deck specific cards should be accounted for; so during step 6, choose the ten "identical" cards from one of the decks, then figure out which of the ten "specific" cards you think you might want to use. After setup, swap up to 5 of the "specific" cards.

This is all perfectly legal according to the rules as written!

My variant, if you're curious, has you choose any 10 of the 20 specific cards after setup, so it's only a slight change. It's meant to quicken up that step for newbs and lessen that feeling of being overwhelmed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, that does seem kind of silly. I'd hardly consider it "house ruling" to simply alter that so you choose the lore deck and customize it AFTER scenario selection rather than choose the deck, choose the scenario and then customize it.

Then again, at our house we've completely scrapped the whole process by merging the two lore decks and removing all duplicates, so we haven't paid much attention to those rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I missed this point. We always did lore customization in the "Muster Army" step, after the scenario cards are revealed. In fact I posted a discussion about lore cards selection explicitly based on this presumption: selecting and customizing the lore deck.

Maybe someone can provide some convincing explanation, but the prescription of the rules seems to me not only counter-intuitive, but also bad in game terms. It somehow spoils the interesting interaction between lore cards and units the game presents. So much so that I tend to believe there is a mistake in the rulebook :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps an official reply from FFG would be in order. I don't think the game needs moore randomness. I too prefer lore deck customization after army mustering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jman Z
msg tools
mbmbmb
marcuslind1 wrote:
Perhaps an official reply from FFG would be in order. I don't think the game needs moore randomness. I too prefer lore deck customization after army mustering.

The customization (swap up to 5 cards) itself is in the same step as mustering army - so you choose the order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. I meant choice of lore deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you were to ask FFG about this, what would you say? I just sent in a rules question that came off more like a rules-advice pieces rather than an actual question. I wonder what their rationale was for choosing the deck earlier? My gut feeling is that it just made sense to pick the deck when you were assembling all the decks. I think they should have had you place all decks in front of you, then choose which one to use during the muster step, before customizing the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there! I got a response from FFG. Thanks for the quick reply, Derrick!

My question: According to the rules in the army packs for selecting lore decks, you must select which of your two lore decks you will use before seeing what the battlefield will look like. This seems odd to me. Is that intended? It seems like it would make more sense to assemble the lore decks during the "create lore decks and scenario decks" step of setup, and then choose which to use during mustering when you can customize the chosen lore deck. Is there a reason for choosing the lore decks before the scenarios are chosen?

Derrick's Answer: Short answer is yes, because it was cleaner to introduce the rule into a step that already had players selecting their Lore deck than to have them ignore that step or add an additional step. However, with the said I’m not sure why your consideration was never made on our end.

As building your army (and subsequently, your lore decks) around the scenarios you and your opponent have chosen is a large part of what makes BattleLore the game that it is, I would rule that choosing a lore deck should occur after Step. 7 of setup as you an others have suggested.

If the game were to receive an errata, I imagine this would among one of the issues addressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thnx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.