Dr Faustus
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I bought Takenoko for it looks tbh, and after first game it left bad taste as I helped my wife more than myself not knowing what is she aming for.
Last night it came to me... It seemed wrong, but worked...
We played Takenoko with goals so all players can see them!!!
I used some tokens from Caverna to cover up points on each card.
It worked flawlessly.
We fought over tiles, bamboo, irrigation sticks, all of it.
Suddenly, Takenoko, from, for me, not exciting 'I guess I'll take tiles and probably help you' to 'I'll take tiles so I can make my thing while I'm making your life harder'.
Dont get me wrong, I know that this game was never ment to be competitive and sometimes cutthroat, but we love it so much more this way...
And that covering of points also work. Yes it can be 2 or 3, but not knowing exactly, and thinking is it worth my turn, or I'll just leave it alpne and do my thing is great.
And, tgink that amazed me the most is that we played 3 player game in 30min.
It became so fast, competitive and FUN.
I was thinking of trading it, but after last night it went back on my 'always want to play' shelf.
I know that playing this game this way makes no sense, but...
Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
After a couple of plays you will know the cards by heart, including their VP values. There aren't that many in the game.

It's not that hard to know/guess what cards your opponents have by paying attention to what they do. I find it more challenging and fun to take some risk from time to time and make a move that might help my opponents but helps me even more.

But as you mentioned, this isn't a very cutthroat game, so we can all play and enjoy it the way we like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Faustus
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmgergo wrote:
After a couple of plays you will know the cards by heart, including their VP values. There aren't that many in the game.

It's not that hard to know/guess what cards your opponents have by paying attention to what they do. I find it more challenging and fun to take some risk from time to time and make a move that might help my opponents but helps me even more.

But as you mentioned, this isn't a very cutthroat game, so we can all play and enjoy it the way we like.

For sure, but, after whole day with hyperactive 2 year old, my wife is so wasted that she can't get what I am doing without actually seeing it
It might be that it wouldn't work on our next play, but it was fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Matagot
Canada
flag msg tools
publisher
Matagot
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can even mix objectives in future games, some for everyone on the table, some in hands.

I would not play with the Panda cards open, for the two others...why not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.