134 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games you WANTED to like, but didn't.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
What games have you really wanted to like but just couldn't.

For me it's LOTR LCG, War of the Ring (Second Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game of Thrones 2nd ed. Great ideas, soooo much analysis paralysis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy toted as a highly strategic, deep, card game that is really the king of parallel play and had less interaction than a game of rummy, and is probably less deep.

Food Chain Magnate a really novel employee management systems and promises of high levels of interaction, but when the novelty wore off, it was fiddly, bloated work and bog standard euro for interaction (think catan or Carcassonne levels) as it is disconnected by the middle man that is the board and blocky, slow turn structure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica I do like me a nice euro but this was just a box of mechanics. The theme was utterly pasted on and makes little sense. The cult track felt tacked on and so did the magic bowls thing. The game was just a chore to play and felt like busy work. Just not much fun. Also the races are not balanced and the wooden structures and general graphic design are uninspired.

Dominion just a mechanic..now where is the game..Oh..that is the game..meh,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy - I love, love, love Race for the Galaxy, and when I heard about this, I was excited. My wife played it before me and loved it, so that pretty much made it an insta-buy. Sadly, my first game was very disappointing. I kept thinking how Race was a much better game. I probably won't get rid of it (my wife would never approve), but I'll never request to play it.

Viticulture Essential Edition - My first experience with Viticulture was the game with Tuscany and I loved it. Picked up EE with the expectation that since it incorporated the "best" of Viticulture and Tuscany, it would be a great game. Nope. Got tired of it pretty quick. Again, my wife enjoys it, so it'll stay in my collection, but, again, I'll never request it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels, a city building card game that's psychological and interactive rather than multi-player solitaire combo-searching... Yes but slow, and with so few turns it boils down to one or two lucky breaks. Witch's Brew for me instead please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories
Panic Station
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: LCG. I really wanted to like this game. But the basic concept failed for me (us). I like the concept of LCGs... but I wanted this cooperative to function more like Pathfinder ACG. The idea of building a deck with a team of characters that you carry through many adventures. As it turns out, you have to "re-build" your deck to face each scenario. So you might have to a COMPLETELY different deck from one scenario to the next. This was a major disconnect for me. I don't mind "tweaking" a deck to adjust it... but playing a completely different deck (based upon a given scenario) just irked me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Every time I sit down to play a game, my hope is to really like it meeple... so pretty much any game I don't like falls under this category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kinda any game I come across and I don't like falls into this category. I think my most notable one would be Agricola. It was introduced just as I was really getting into this level of depth of games and I ended up frustrated with the game and with not knowing why. It took me a few more plays to figure out my gripes with the game and just left me kinda sad that I didn't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Last Night on Earth

Castle Panic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance: Avalon: Guess I really don't like that type of party game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Princess Bride: Prepare to Die

LOVE the movie. Really wanted to like this game but ultimately it was just a themed Apples to Apples done poorly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
msg tools
mbmbmb
Codenames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
Odysseus3 wrote:
Lord of the Rings: LCG. I really wanted to like this game. But the basic concept failed for me (us). I like the concept of LCGs... but I wanted this cooperative to function more like Pathfinder ACG. The idea of building a deck with a team of characters that you carry through many adventures. As it turns out, you have to "re-build" your deck to face each scenario. So you might have to a COMPLETELY different deck from one scenario to the next. This was a major disconnect for me. I don't mind "tweaking" a deck to adjust it... but playing a completely different deck (based upon a given scenario) just irked me.

Exact reason I didn't like it. I also felt that it was very difficult in a very cheap way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter dR
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Quest the card game. After reading reviews and session reports this was supposed I had to own and play solo.
But playing it was dull and repetitive. Sold it after a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, a lot...I'll just go with the first few that come to mind.

Legends of Andor: I was really excited about this, had huge hopes for it, and then couldn't stand the "beating monsters makes time advance so you lose the game mechanic" plus other random trial and error effects (draw a card that says you lose because you increased your stats too much!)

Mansions of Madness: So much cool potential crushed by clunky and poorly-thought out design.

Warrior Knights: This has a lot of interesting mechanics, but it takes sooo long to do anything. An hour of cardplay and you've marched two spaces toward the castle you want to attack!

Dungeon Roll: I enjoy light dice games, so this seemed like an easy hit. But not only is it terribly devoid of choices, they also managed to largely leave out the fun of actually rolling dice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredible Expeditions: Quest for Atlantis

Keyword - BORING
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to like Panamax but just didn't. Something about the game just didn't click at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowrun Crossfire and Spyfall are a few recent examples for me.

I love the gritty, dark feel of the shadowrun universe and I was pretty excited when I saw the card game. I rushed out to buy it and saw Mike Elliott's name on the box and had an instant pang of fear. Mr. Elliott has a history for me of designing games that I really want to love that just miss the soul of what makes a game fun for me (examples being Thunderstone, Quarriors, Lost Legends). I played it anyway, and at first I was hooked. Then I realized the game literally just came down to drawing the right color combinations in the right order and very little player control. Shadowrun is supposed to be a hellish setting in which survival, let alone success, is never guaranteed. They captured that feeling of "we can't possibly pull this off" in Crossfire, but the difficulty seems arbitrary since it's out of players' hands.

On the contrary, in Spyfall, the onus is fully on the players to make the game good. What comes in the box is basically a framework for a game with some aides for playing and it's up to the players themselves to bring the fun. This is not necessarily a bad thing! Except when it is. Played with a group that isn't willing to go all in and be creative, this falls super flat, super hard. It seems like in a different setting it could be amazing, but I'm limited by the folks I can actually get around a table, with whom I usually have a great time, but not with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to like Twilight Struggle, but after several playings, I just don't like the pace and luck of the draw. I'm sure there is mitigation of luck, granted. But I just can't wrap my head around the control of my strategy, and it feels like I am doing a wheelie on a bike going downhill. Sure it looks cool, and it should be cool, but if I hit a stone, it tears me a new asshole...every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Julius Caesar, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola. The take-that absolute-blocking mechanic breaks it for me. I understand why it's a great game but it's just not for me. But I did want to love it.

Marco Polo as well. Just fell completely flat. Different strokes I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse - You finish all the exploration in the first few turns so you can sit back and play a standard Euro for a few turns until there is a fit of fighting with clunky combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Panic Station. Great looking components and lots of promise but an unfinished game.

Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 5 – United Kingdom & Pennsylvania, specifically the UK map. I just can't see how there's any more to it than hoping to draw more wildcards than everyone else.

Elysium. This looks great and some of the mechanics are appealing but the whole thing didn't click for me. I think it was mainly the multitude of different card abilities leading to information overload. In fact I'd probably have enjoyed this more if there were fewer card abilities.

The Phantom League. Awesome, a board game version of Elite! Except that it also felt distinctly unfinished, and the combat system was horrible.

Sky Traders. The theme appealed but I did incredibly badly in my one and only game. Whatever I did, the event card screwed me. I finished the game with 1VP and had no desire to ever play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker
Game of Thrones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.