Xia: Legends of a Drift System» Forums » Variants

Subject: Our in-house rules for Xia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Engines roll the dice they say. Space is unreliably difficult to navigate, if you roll a 1 on a big engine then your nav computer tried to route you too close to a black hole.

Weapons roll 2 dice for each activated weapon point, and choose the higher number.

E.g. you activate 2 points of d6 lasers, roll one pair of d6 for the first activation (get 1 and 3) then roll another pair of d6 (get 4 and 4). You must keep the 3 from the first pair and the 4 from the second = 7 damage.

Shields in response to any non-combat damage work as normal. But when attacked you have two choices: 'quick shields' which roll a single die and can be recharged immediately after combat or 'full shields' which roll two dice per activation point but cannot be recharged until after the end of your next turn. NPCs always defend with 'full shields'.

When you are attacked the sequence is:
1. Powering up weapon systems. Attacker secretly chooses how many weapon points to activate (e.g. hides a number of tokens in their closed fist). They must choose at least one.
2. Red alert! Defender declares how many shield points they are activating.
3. More power, Scotty! Defender chooses whether each shield point is a 'quick shield' or 'full shield'
4. Open fire! Attacker reveals which weapons they are activating and rolls for damage
5. Evasive manouvres. Defender rolls for shields
6. Ka-boom! Assess damage
7. Divert power to main systems. Defender can then recharge any quick shields they used during combat

Basic Economy Planets have a speciality that they produce, but the needs of the populace are varied. We use the tokens from here that randomise sell spaces. They are not used on Loath.

Black Market Economy Every time you buy something from the Smuggler's Den you put a cube of that colour on the den. It cannot be bought again until there are four different colours there, at which point it resets. The same happens at Loath - every time you sell there place a cube. Market resets when there are four colours in place.

Counterfeit goods. Items bought from the Smugglers' Den are actually couterfeit. Nobody can tell this except their mates on Loath. So you cannot sell goods from the Smuggler's Den on Loath.

Keeping a low profile. If the Smuggler's Den was established too close to Loath the then the whole sector would attract unwanted attention from the Enforcers. When exploring if you draw one of these tiles 2 sectors or fewer away from the other then draw again. (So you end up with Loath >= 3 sectors from the Sumggler's Den)

All of the above seemed to work really nicely and we were very happy with the experience.

---

Ideas not yet tried:

No littering. It is illegal to dump cargo within a planetary boundary. If you intentionally do so then you get a 1,000Cr bounty and the cargo is confiscated by the planetary authorities. If you are destroyed inside a planet's borders then your cargo floats around waiting to be picked up. (This makes it harder for players to dump cargo of one colour so they can then sell their 'entire hold' of another cargo colour for fame. Having to leave your cargo outside of the planet boundary makes it a riskier thing to do.)

Hard shields. If you use 'full shields' during battle they 'stay on' and last until the end of your next turn. So any unused shield points persist and can be used to defend other attacks, or even damage you receive during your turn. E.g. you use 'full shields' during a battle and roll 7 defending against an attack of 3. You have 4 shield points remaining to defend against other damage until you reset your ship at the end of your next turn. (This is to encourage people to use full shields, in our experience they tend to just use the weaker one)

Enforcer swarm. The enforcer token represents a swarm of police and has one missile for each 1,000Cr of bounty on your head. 5,000Cr bounty? Keep out of sight or face the highly trained SWAT team sent to haul you in, with 5d8 (each dice point rolled twice to take the higher value) attack strength.

NPC progression Each time an NPC is destroyed it comes back in a better ship - add one 'level' to it's attack/defence, more HP and possibly more speed and targeting range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never tried the game. But so it seems some tweaks are needed to enjoy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is fine as-is. However, the expansion does address some of the more common concerns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is thoroughly enjoyable as is. However it is a sandbox game, that is very accommodating to rules tweaks and house rules. It's fairly basic human nature to want to tweak and customize things, so it happens a lot with games like this.

The expansion does add some tweaks and mods to the basic equipment that help to mitigate some of the downsides of random dice rolls... however I want to make it clear that they are not there to "fix" anything. They allow a player to spend money on something that does give them certain bonuses, help mitigate bad rolls, and feel better about it in general, but as good as they are they aren't required.

Engines: I have no idea if this is flavor text or mechanic, because it doesn't really say anything.

Weapons:This is okay, it's not too overpowered or anything. I just don't see any need to give this away for free. Have it cost at least 1k to upgrade the weapon to high performance.

Shields:I don't like any of your shield rules. It's too finicky for me. It maybe adds a little bit of theme, but it doesn't even do that if you're not really playing that up at the table.

Outlaw Planets: These rules are fine, but with the other rules Keeping a Low Profile is basically pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

thanks for the feedback.

Xia is great 'out of the box', but also very versatile and accommodating to rule tweaks. The changes are posted here as much as an aide memoire as anything else, so we have an URL to refer to when we next get it to the table.

@calinor - the Engines comment above was just to explain why we *don't* tweak the standard engine rules, even though a lot of people cry about the standard process.

The main thing with shields is that the defender doesn't get a chance to choose the number of shields *after* the attacker declares attack strength. And it flows quite easily once you've done it a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
Never tried the game. But so it seems some tweaks are needed to enjoy them.

This is so not true and I've seen it stated time and time again in these forums. What is true is that Xia is such an open game that it invites and the designer even encourages players to make adjustments and house rules. I've not added a single house rule to any of my games of Xia and they've all been a blast. Definitely worth playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. E
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very good ideas, especially the Shields house rule. I will try that in my next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forby
msg tools
The shields rules you have are a bit much. Full Shields is still a roll?
Shields
I think that a better way would be to activate "Full Shields" you use both your markers and gain the maximum from the dice. You simply put the dice on your Ship Card. When you get hit, subtract what the damage is and loser the pips on the dice. You don't get to regenerate your shields until the start of your turn.

That would make more sense and be quicker.
Weapons
The weapon rules are also a bit much for me. I don't think that rolling twice and taking the best would be good. That makes your average hit a higher number. Not sure on the math but if you are going for a more consistent number then why not average the dice. But even then, you get some weird dice going.

Economy
Hmm, a random item that a planet needs? This kinda makes for a random economy. While this can be fun, the theme is lost here. This also messes with some of the balancing factors here. For balance sake, If you go with the random economy then I would make an addition to the rule: You cannot put the same "need" on more than one revealed planet. This keeps the needs from coming up as all one type then you still have the variety and don't get a situation where all you can buy is one type and not sell that type anywhere. I don't know. I don't think that I would mess with the economy rules much. Other than using the economy board when I get it.

Overall, the game has the "Take a Chance" factor with the dice being a motivating mechanic. Read the expansion stuff and that seems to be a mitigating factor for rolling a 1 on some stuff, and adding some new mechanics, new outfits, ect.

The game is fun out of the box. I enjoy it. The only change that I made from the "Out of the Box" set up was that the "X"s on the Explore Tokens we use as a free re-roll at any time. And I use the Respawn with damage when you get destroyed instead of losing your turn. In a game where it takes a bit to get to your turn, losing a turn is very hard and extra punishing, when it could be simply bad luck that caused it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.