Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven’t played the game yet but have gone through the rulebook and reference. I’m not sure I understand how insane winning conditions work. If we take the given example (pyromania, on page 12 of the rulebook), the card text says:

“You do not win the game as normal. At the start of your turn, if 6 or more rooms contain Fire, you immediately win the game and the game ends. If the game ends for any other reason, you lose the game.”

This being a coop, what does it imply? That the insane character would win if he fulfilled those conditions, but his former partners would lose?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aimon wrote:
I haven’t played the game yet but have gone through the rulebook and reference. I’m not sure I understand how insane winning conditions work. If we take the given example (pyromania, on page 12 of the rulebook), the card text says:

“You do not win the game as normal. At the start of your turn, if 6 or more rooms contain Fire, you immediately win the game and the game ends. If the game ends for any other reason, you lose the game.”

This being a coop, what does it imply? That the insane character would win if he fulfilled those conditions, but his former partners would lose?

Thanks.

It is a coop, until someone goes insane - then it might change to a semi-coop or an all-out 1 vs. many game.

In this example, the insane character can only win alone. Either he wins by burning 6 rooms, or he loses; either because the other investigators win or because everybody loses (the "app wins").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right. You start out working together and then if an investigator goes insane and the player decides they want to play to win under the new conditions stated on the back of their insane card they can work to fulfil that and take a personal win at the expense of the rest of the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks.

So technically, in this example, it would still be possible for all the investigators to win if somehow the primary objective was met, and six rooms were on fire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aimon wrote:
Ok, thanks.

So technically, in this example, it would still be possible for all the investigators to win if somehow the primary objective was met, and six rooms were on fire?

No, he can only win alone. It states he loses if the game ends for any other reason, so if there are six rooms on fire at the start of his turn, he wins and game ends. If the investigators fulfill their objective before six rooms are on fire, he loses.

Edit: There are other insane cards where you just get an additional personal requirement that needs to be met when the investigators win. In this situation, it would be correct that he can win with the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Aimon wrote:
Ok, thanks.

I don't think it would be possible. If the other investigators win, then the game ends immediately. However, the Pyromania card starts with "At the start of your turn..." So either the game has ended because the other investigators won, or the pyromaniac has won due to 6 rooms being on fire. I can't think of any situation where both could happen simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both your answers make a lot of sense, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I can't think of any situation where both could happen simultaneously.

Just to nerd this all the way to the end, if indeed both conditions were met at the same time, the rules regarding timing conflicts would kick in. The group would wither have to agree which effect happened first (and therefore only this effect would happen) which they probably wouldn't be able to. It would then be a random choice of investigator that would decide the fate of all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.