20 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spreading fire. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Berggren
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a question regarding spreading a fire. Does it spread to every room adjacent to a fire or do you only place a total of one new Fire tile.

So if I have two spaces with fire adjacent to each other and it is time to spread a fire, do I place six new fire or only one new?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one new fire tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Berggren
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. Then we played it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest K
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
So we ran into this last night were basically the entire mansion was on fire and want to make sure we're playing this right. One space in a hallway caught fire because I dropped the lantern like an idiot. On the next fire spread phase, it could have spread down the hall and into the lobby, does it spread into both at the same time? We ended up spending a lot of time in ever burning fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theg2 wrote:
So we ran into this last night were basically the entire mansion was on fire and want to make sure we're playing this right. One space in a hallway caught fire because I dropped the lantern like an idiot. On the next fire spread phase, it could have spread down the hall and into the lobby, does it spread into both at the same time? We ended up spending a lot of time in ever burning fire.

This question is already answered above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest K
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
bleached_lizard wrote:
theg2 wrote:

How is the direction of the fire spread determined in a case where it could spread to multiple spaces. Can the fire go through doors? I don't believe my question was answered at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A U
msg tools
mbmb
theg2 wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
theg2 wrote:

How is the direction of the fire spread determined in a case where it could spread to multiple spaces. Can the fire go through doors? I don't believe my question was answered at all.

We had the same question about fire going through doorways. Does the fire stop (door closed) or does it move into the next room (door open)? Should the fire tile be placed in all spaces on the tile where it started before expanding into a different room (assuming fire goes through doors)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Berggren
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He answered that you always only place one tile, it doesnt matter how much is burning only one new fire is placed every turn. If you look in the rules it says that fire spread to adjacent spaces which is also explained to be spaces next to each other (even through walls). To determined where to place the new fire I guess you as a group need to decide on a valid place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vidgar87 wrote:
He answered that you always only place one tile, it doesnt matter how much is burning only one new fire is placed every turn. If you look in the rules it says that fire spread to adjacent spaces which is also explained to be spaces next to each other (even through walls). To determined where to place the new fire I guess you as a group need to decide on a valid place.

This is all correct except for the part in bold above (see RRG "Walls").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you able to place a new fire token in a space that already has one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Ruskicowboy wrote:
Are you able to place a new fire token in a space that already has one?

Sigh. As per the rules...

Page 9 Rules Reference.
Fire cannot be placed in a space that contains Fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uggh...I must have read that section 5 times looking for it, and kept missing that last sentence. Thanks.modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Berggren
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Vidgar87 wrote:

Yeah you are right, I just looked under "Adjacent" and under that it just says that spaces are adjacent even through walls. I didnt think of checking under "Walls" to see that effect can not go through walls if it doesnt say it. When I played I was just thinking that it was and old house and of course the fire will burn through the walls.

A quick question: will a monster get two damage if it both starts its activation in a space with fire and also goes into another space with fire? Or is it always only a total of one damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vidgar87 wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Vidgar87 wrote:

Yeah you are right, I just looked under "Adjacent" and under that it just says that spaces are adjacent even through walls. I didnt think of checking under "Walls" to see that effect can not go through walls if it doesnt say it. When I played I was just thinking that it was and old house and of course the fire will burn through the walls.

A quick question: will a monster get two damage if it both starts its activation in a space with fire and also goes into another space with fire? Or is it always only a total of one damage?

Bold is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Carrington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I like this controlled slow burning building everyone is investigating. :-)

I do think the fire should be spread to all adjacent spaces, particularly given how these old wooden buildings would have probably gone up quite quick

Yes, I know the rule states
-- If one or more spaces contain Fire, place one Fire token in a space adjacent to a space that contains Fire.

Just think you are focusing too much on the "one Fire token" bit.

Also if you have a fire set in 2 unconnected rooms, surely both would spread?

As for dealing with the fire. How many of you tackle fire in the game when it is slow to progress? How many of you would tackle the fire when all your evidence and hard work is about to go up in smoke?

Worth trying a few games either way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Ferrell
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are multiple places a fire token can be placed, does the group decide where it goes? The way we read the rules, we said yes. However we had a situation where a monster was chasing us and we kept choosing spaces so that the monster would always take damage as it moved towards us, killing it before it reached us. Seemed very gamey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RockSummoner wrote:
I like this controlled slow burning building everyone is investigating. :-)

I do think the fire should be spread to all adjacent spaces, particularly given how these old wooden buildings would have probably gone up quite quick

Yes, I know the rule states
-- If one or more spaces contain Fire, place one Fire token in a space adjacent to a space that contains Fire.

Just think you are focusing too much on the "one Fire token" bit.

Also if you have a fire set in 2 unconnected rooms, surely both would spread?

As for dealing with the fire. How many of you tackle fire in the game when it is slow to progress? How many of you would tackle the fire when all your evidence and hard work is about to go up in smoke?

Worth trying a few games either way?

Let us know if you try spreading it to all adjacent spaces.
I suspect it would quickly engulf the whole board & end the game devil

Investigators can only extinguish a maximum of 2 fires (3 if starting on fire) each per turn (excluding any additional movement or other extinguishing effects), assuming they are positioned correctly, and that they roll well & do nothing else.

I *do* get what you're saying though... I had the same thoughts when first reading the rules... I queried what the meaning was, and it didn't sound like one extra fire would be significant. Time will tell I guess... haven't played much yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Wray wrote:
If there are multiple places a fire token can be placed, does the group decide where it goes? The way we read the rules, we said yes.

That's what the rules say. As long as all the investigators agree on the new fire location.
Wray wrote:
However we had a situation where a monster was chasing us and we kept choosing spaces so that the monster would always take damage as it moved towards us, killing it before it reached us. Seemed very gamey.

Sometimes the Investigators get the breaks. Most unusual for a Cthulhu game indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Carrington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have now played 4 games with Fire out of 5.

1st - Fire Spread to all adjacent spaces but not through walls

2nd - Fire spread to all spaces including through walls ( I got a little carried away, but as it was 2 or 3 turns before I completed the scenario it didn't hamper things too much.

3rd - Fire Spread to 1 space only. 2 Fires in the game.

4th - Fire spread to 1 space only. There were 2 separate Fires going at one point and this just didn't seem like enough.

Two of those have started by an event which involved dropping a Light Source. The initial spread has been more than a single space, often a whole room or several (3) spaces down a corridor with me in the middle.

It still feels like my 1st game interpretation was more on balance, requiring some attention to putting out or controlling the Fire rather than let it all burn. You still have the option to leave it burn depending on what you have you have accomplished in the scenario.

However I do still like the single token per turn ruling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I am so glad I read this thread...

I misread the rules and spread fire to ALL adjacent spaces - it was massively overpowered! We spent our whole time putting out any fires that appeared and even considered taking the
Spoiler (click to reveal)
mesmorised card
that causes fire out of the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.