Subject: Smoke use rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Hill
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
What are some situations where you find laying Smoke useful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Caraher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fourth of July.

Air acrobatic shows.

Olympics Opening Ceremony.

Obscuring enemy vision while your infantry crosses open terrain.

But mostly that last one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If one of your stacks is broken in cover, an adjacent squad can save it by popping smoke, giving it time to rally.
Ordinance smoke is useful with AFVs, but that requires extra rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hill
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
moly19 wrote:
Fourth of July.

Air acrobatic shows.

Retro doesn't use the defensive fire mechanism of ASL you reference; in retro, if you pass your hesitation roll, you move thru enemy LOS without ever being fired on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hill
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
juster2 wrote:
If one of your stacks is broken in cover, an adjacent squad can save it by popping smoke, giving it time to rally.
Ordinance smoke is useful with AFVs, but that requires extra rules.

Good idea! Just wondering what others find useful. I personally use it for a bit of protection for a unit placing a demolition charge; the point blank range defensive fire won't be quite as bad that way and there is no hinder ance to the placing unit, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Caraher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Homemade war wrote:
moly19 wrote:
Fourth of July.

Air acrobatic shows.

Retro doesn't use the defensive fire mechanism of ASL you reference; in retro, if you pass your hesitation roll, you move thru enemy LOS without ever being fired on.

That's lovely if you pass your Hesitation roll...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hill
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
moly19 wrote:
Homemade war wrote:
moly19 wrote:
Fourth of July.

Air acrobatic shows.

That's lovely if you pass your Hesitation roll...

If you don't pass the Hesitation roll, odds are your unit was in a non-open hex to begin with; thus having some cover anyway.
Thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can pop smoke, line up 6 Fireflies behind it in front of the Tiger, then when the smoke clears you can shoot at the Tiger without hesitation if it is still there. So keep a smokelaying squad on one of your thinly armoured tanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Caraher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you don't pass the Hesitation roll, odds are your unit was in a non-open hex to begin with; thus having some cover anyway.

There may be some fundamental misunderstanding here.
Don't think of Smoke as merely a +TEM, but also as a means of getting where you need to go.
If you successfully pop Smoke in the Open Hex you wish to enter there is no longer a need to roll for Hesitation, as that hex is no longer an Open Hex. Get Smoke, get moving.

Also, there is no odds relationship between failing Hesitation and being in cover; you either pass that roll or you don't, regardless of where your units is. Dig?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hill
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
moly19 wrote:
Quote:

There may be some fundamental misunderstanding here.
Don't think of Smoke as merely a +TEM, but also as a means of getting where you need to go.
If you successfully pop Smoke in the Open Hex you wish to enter there is no longer a need to roll for Hesitation, as that hex is no longer an Open Hex. Get Smoke, get moving.

Also, there is no odds relationship between failing Hesitation and being in cover; you either pass that roll or you don't, regardless of where your units is. Dig?

Definately a misunderstanding here! Retro does not specifically say that Smoke redifines a previously Open hex as "non-Open" (can you reference a rules statement that might indicate this, thx)
I've been playing that an Open hex is a FIXED terrain map-feature that cannot be superseded; Open terrain is Open terrain ("Open" is listed as a terrain feature on the TEM)...but, I can see now that Smoke could nullify Open terrain. I do see that Smoke has a specific, seperate presence on the TEM chart, thus Smoke becomes the new "terrain", I guess.
Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Caraher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I do see that Smoke has a specific, seperate presence on the TEM chart, thus Smoke becomes the new "terrain", I guess.

You got 'er!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hill
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Well, that opens up a lot of Smoke possibilities, thx!
I should define a "Open hex" not as "Clear terrain", but rather "a hex that currently doesn't have any feature on it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.