Subject: Cultisr and two spaces away rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gandalf White
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
So there was monster move and it said: move Cultist 2 spaces to the nearest investigator. I clicked continue. Then it gave option similar to: 'there's an investigator 2 spaces away' and 'no attack'. My question is: does the app ask if there is someone two spaces away before the initial monster move or after (like something happens when after move there is someone two spaces away). Hope that's not too vague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you post the exact text, I could give more specific results. Different monsters move and attack in different ways. The best answer is to follow the instructions to the letter. Usually, you will move the monster first, then answer the question, but read the text carefully.

Some examples would be:

Quote:
The Star Spawn moves 2 spaces to be within range of as many investigators as possible. Then it attacks all investigators within range. (Attack, No Investigators in Range).

So there you move first, then attack all investigators within range if any exist.

Quote:
The Deep One moves 2 spaces toward the nearest investigator and attacks the investigator in that space with the lowest Agility. (Attack, No investigator in space)

Here, you move, then click the correct button.

Monsters usually work similar to how investigators do. The monsters get a move (if necessary) toward the investigators, and an attack if they are close enough. Often if the monster fails to attack because no investigator is close enough, you'll be instructed to move the monster again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
The app first enables monster conditional movement, and then asks you whether the monster is in a space (or within range) from target investigator. If so, you proceed with the attack, otherwise you click the other option, that could result in nothing or in the monster moving again, and so on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okkoo wrote:
So there was monster move and it said: move Cultist 2 spaces to the nearest investigator. I clicked continue. Then it gave option similar to: 'there's an investigator 2 spaces away' and 'no attack'. My question is: does the app ask if there is someone two spaces away before the initial monster move or after (like something happens when after move there is someone two spaces away). Hope that's not too vague.
After.
The order of events is as follows (if I correctly got your description):
The app asks you to move the Cultist.
You move the Cultist.
You click "Continue"
The app asks if an investigator is within 2 spaces of Cultist.

I suppose that the Cultist wanted to cast some ranged spell. Move in range than toss a fireball, sounds plausible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
okkoo wrote:

When the app tells you to do something, you do it, then press "continue". The app may then give you further instructions based on the new board state. It does not expect you to make evaluations based on earlier board states.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Holik
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I have come upon an activation that blows my mind.

"xx moves up to 2 spaces to be in a space with as many investigators as possible."

Let's assume there are no investigator within 2 spaces. What does this monster do? It could either do nothing, move toward one of the investigators (by default let's say the nearest one) or it could very well move away from the investigators. Whatever it does, it still agrees with the activation text.

Ultimately we went for the "move, so that it hurts us the most", but it could very well be intended for the monster to just hang around waiting for a clumsy investigator to go its way and I am really not sure how to interpret it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luksa wrote:
Ok, I have come upon an activation that blows my mind.

"xx moves up to 2 spaces to be in a space with as many investigators as possible."

Let's assume there are no investigator within 2 spaces. What does this monster do? It could either do nothing, move toward one of the investigators (by default let's say the nearest one) or it could very well move away from the investigators. Whatever it does, it still agrees with the activation text.

It does nothing. The button you click will indicate this, as it will say something like: "Cannot move to be within an investigator's space." or, "No investigators within 2 spaces."

You can guarantee with this instruction that you will be given a follow-up instruction that unambiguously moves the monster towards an investigator.

Quote:
Ultimately we went for the "move, so that it hurts us the most", but it could very well be intended for the monster to just hang around waiting for a clumsy investigator to go its way and I am really not sure how to interpret it.

MoM 2nd Edition does not have an err on the side of badness streak like some of the other Arkham games, so this is incorrect.

Arguably, as you indeed mentioned above, you could move the Monster anywhere within 2 spaces, even away from investigators, as all spaces it can move to have 0 investigators in them. Thus, all of them are valid choices for the most and the rules say the investigators always get to decide which they want if there are multiple valid choices.

Clearly this interpretation isn't intended, though, so we need to take the alternate view that there is an 'at least one investigator' unwritten rule to choose valid spaces. Adding this assumption makes all possible end points invalid, so the monster cannot and will not move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Holik
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
It does nothing. The button you click will indicate this, as it will say something like: "Cannot move to be within an investigator's space." or, "No investigators within 2 spaces."

You can guarantee with this instruction that you will be given a follow-up instruction that unambiguously moves the monster towards an investigator.

If this was the case and the app would provide a second type of activation, it would be fine. In this case however, app only offers:
"Monster attacks"
"No Investigator in the space"
which after clicking reveals no additional activation like in case of Zombies not seeing any investigator in range and other similar monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luksa wrote:
If this was the case and the app would provide a second type of activation, it would be fine. In this case however, app only offers:
"Monster attacks"
"No Investigator in the space"
which after clicking reveals no additional activation like in case of Zombies not seeing any investigator in range and other similar monsters.

Well, I have not seen that ever happen before, so I guess the guarantee is no longer valid.

Which story were you playing and which monster type was it if you can remember?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Holik
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Well, I have not seen that ever happen before, so I guess the guarantee is no longer valid.

Which story were you playing and which monster type was it if you can remember?

Dearly Departed and the Zombie Horde.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luksa wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Dearly Departed and the Zombie Horde.

I can indeed replicate that. My guess is they forgot to give it a guaranteed backup movement.

For consistency with other rules, I still reckon the monster in question should stay put in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.