Subject: Can you voluntarily take a neighborly help tile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are you forced to spend cubes and coins if you have them, or can you voluntarily take a neighborly help tile instead of spending resources?

Say it's winter, I need to pay my yellow worker, I have the grain I need in storage, am I forced to spend the grain or can I take a neighborly help tile instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm my rules, for both paying taxes and for feeding it says the player "must" pay/feed. The word must here says you cannot choose to take neighborly help. You only take the help if you cannot pay yourself.

Edit: apologies, on reading further, the text "Or do not want to" is there for taxes instead of paying the coin. So you may take a help tile in this case. It still appears that feeding and heating are not optional though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
I agree. The rules say you may choose to take neighborly help for taxes even if you can afford them but you must use your goods for food and heat if you have them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with what has already been stated... I have one clarification though - we play that to feed/heat you MUST use your goods, but if you don't have the necessary goods you're not forced to use your coin to buy the necessary goods - you can take neighborly help at that point.

What are other's opinions on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Kristiansen
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the same question, but didn't get a response: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/720097/coins-jokers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
seanp wrote:
Agree with what has already been stated... I have one clarification though - we play that to feed/heat you MUST use your goods, but if you don't have the necessary goods you're not forced to use your coin to buy the necessary goods - you can take neighborly help at that point.

What are other's opinions on that?

I agree.

You must use your goods if you have them.
"Take the goods from your barn or from land area storage spaces and return them to the supply. If you do not have enough food to feed your labourers with, then you must take one neighbourly help tile for each missing food. If you do not have enough wood to keep your labourers warm with, then you must take one neighbourly help tile for each missing wood."

You may use a coin if you want to.
"Coins: When paying costs, coins can always be used as wild goods, regardless of their values."

[Thread Drift On]
The FAQ says coins can't be substituted for goods when paying off neighborly help. That strikes me as a detrimental rules exception making this game harder to learn and play with no benefit to game balance or theme.
But don't ask me how I really feel.shake
[Thread Drift Off]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.