Subject: No app? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Holt
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Any reason why they've gone down the one player plays as the DM route and not an app like we are now seeing in Descent and Mansions of Madness?
Maybe this ones different, I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly because Doom comes from a videogame. Creating an app for a boardgame based on a videogame could have resulted in people wondering why they shouldn't be playing the videogame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that certain styles of games, like heavy narrative games, benefit more from an automated app. DOOM is certainly not one of them. The visceral nature of the combat demands a thinking player take on the role of the creatures.

There's not much story in DOOM. I think this is the most likely reason.

Plus, developing apps is expensive. For an untested IP, I wouldn't have spent the money. Cthulhu is guaranteed to bring in purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Martin
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Possibly because Doom comes from a videogame. Creating an app for a boardgame based on a videogame could have resulted in people wondering why they shouldn't be playing the videogame.

X-Com seems to get by ok!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Zorch wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:

X-Com seems get by ok!

Uh, right, didn't think of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Martin
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a confusing time in board games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
I believe that certain styles of games, like heavy narrative games, benefit more from an automated app. DOOM is certainly not one of them. The visceral nature of the combat demands a thinking player take on the role of the creatures.

There's not much story in DOOM. I think this is the most likely reason.

Plus, developing apps is expensive. For an untested IP, I wouldn't have spent the money. Cthulhu is guaranteed to bring in purchases.

To be fair.. I have the same view of Mansions of Madness.

An app can never replace the cruelty and creativity of a person playing the keeper. It will also never replace the flair a deviant keeper can add to the utter destruction they are wreaking on the investigators. An app doesn't cackle maniacally when they drive an investigator to suicide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just glad there isn't an app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm with you on this one. I go to board games to avoid computers, mobile devices, and other automated things.

corkysru wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the reason why Mansions of Madness got an app from the very beginning is largely because of setup.

MoM 1st edition took a long time to set up, even if you looked at ways to cut that down. The app cuts that down a lot and also adds more variety (at least possibly) in the variety of puzzles and things the app can present to players. 1st edition was limited by printed materials.

I don't doubt that like Imperial Assualt and Descent, Doom may get an app. It just isn't required for launch and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Wayne
msg tools
Just played the game at Gencon this weekend, I was wondering about an App myself.

From the way the demon controller plays, I think it would be really hard to develop an app because there is a lot of strategy in determining when and how to activate your demons. Since turn order is randomized, it seems like a really difficult task to set up a priority target mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also glad there isn't an app.

A boardgame with an App is just an overpriced App. I can play boardgames on my tablets already...and if I'm using a tablet to play the boardgame, put it ALL on the tablet or let it be on surface and let my electronic time be electronic. An app with hard components that you still have to set up is basically just a video game where they didn't put everything on the app, and instead make you set it up (more time consuming) rather than just letting it be on the app itself and have everything set up right there.

I have a surface, and I have a tablet that's a 10 incher, more than enough for everyone to see if they went that route.

It's probably because I'm a family and social gamer, so boardgames are where we get AWAY from the electronics (no phones or tablets at the table, lest everyone is looking down at the tablet instead of the boardgame).

But hey, I imagine the college and high school kids who spend their time on tablets may...wait a second...most of them would rather have the entire thing on tablet or not at all anyways.

Someone must be buying the games with apps though...

I'm not one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:

Amen to that. Keep apps out of board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epidemius wrote:

XCOM getting an expansion, Descent back in the hotness after the app came out (with Imperial Assault app coming soon), MoM2e dethroning Scythe, Portal's flagship Essen game app driven. You're in the minority, I'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
(with Imperial Assault app coming soon)

By the god(s) how are they going to try to ruin IA with an app?

I wouldn't care so much about the apps in these games if it didn't take the fun out of them. You can't currently design an app that can be as crafty as a human being for 1VMany. Sure.. you could make it "hard" or "very hard" to beat.. but you can't make it devious and crafty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Tarnop wrote:

You're right, after Road to Legend came out, I looked in my Descent box: ruined. Melted miniatures, cards turned to ash, oh the humanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Tarnop wrote:

You're right, after Road to Legend came out, I looked in my Descent box: ruined. Melted miniatures, cards turned to ash, oh the humanity.

Descent: The Road to Legend was the best thing to happen to Descent.

Oh wait you mean second edition of descent. I'm so sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Martin
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the last place to complain about app integration is on an IP that started out life as a computer game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
Epidemius wrote:

XCOM getting an expansion, Descent back in the hotness after the app came out (with Imperial Assault app coming soon), MoM2e dethroning Scythe, Portal's flagship Essen game app driven. You're in the minority, I'm afraid.

The plural of anecdote is not data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zorch wrote:
I think the last place to complain about app integration is on an IP that started out life as a computer game.

Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Martin
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think the primary audience already enjoys the original game, and would be more interested in an electronic element.

corkysru wrote:
Zorch wrote:

Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zorch wrote:
I would think the primary audience already enjoys the original game, and would be more interested in an electronic element.

corkysru wrote:
Zorch wrote:

Why?

Do you want books to start having video clips you need to watch to understand the plot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it interesting that APP-Driven games are even on BGG?!

After all the site says "Gaming UNPLUGGED since 2000"

p.s. I am not a fan of hybrid games either. Currently I enjoy Doom the Video Game. When the board game comes out I want to enjoy it with my friends around the table, without staring at a monitor again. But I can understand, if others feel differently about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely love Sid Meier's Civilization. I think I have owned and played every version of it since Civ II (which I spend so many hours on in middle/high school). I love Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game. I would never want that game ran through an app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
I absolutely love Sid Meier's Civilization. I think I have owned and played every version of it since Civ II (which I spend so many hours on in middle/high school). I love Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game. I would never want that game ran through an app.

+1

I own that same board game and both expansions. 100% agree. An app would take away from the board game and the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.