Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Dudes on a Map for Dad vs 9yr old? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
I'm looking for something to play with my 9 year old with pieces to move around, combat, etc. we really enjoy Star Wars Risk (2015).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Assault has the skirmish mode for 1 vs 1 (build your armies, draw/decide a mission, then defeat opponent's figures and achieve mission objectives to win), and the campaign mode for 1 vs 1-4 players (1 imperial player against preferably 4 rebel heroes controlled by the rebel players - you can play with 3 or just 2 rebel hero characters as well).

The core box has everything you need (for 2-3 campaigns), although you might end up getting everything else eventually. The figure expansions are mostly for skirmish, the boxed expansions give more to the campaign game (like new campaigns).

Let me know if you want to know more.

Another alternative for 2 players is Star Wars: Rebellion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is a good one and you can find some good bargain deals for this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hale
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 is a good one for that age I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Russell
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest is a fun one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Henry
United States
Canton
NY
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:
I'm looking for something to play with my 9 year old with pieces to move around, combat, etc. we really enjoy Star Wars Risk (2015).

Try Magic the Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalker. It's based on Heroscape which is way out of print.

First, it's cheap. I've seen it on sale at Target right now for around $15.

Second, if your kid's a good reader then play the game as is. If he's not, then use just the powers on the figure cards and ignore the spells. You'll just have to make sure he's aware of the abilities and then you're off and running.

It'll provide dudes on a map, cool minis, and dice rolling fun! I play it with my 10 year son a ton. We have the basic set so there's no deck building or army building but that's available (somewhat) if you want to invest in more expansions. I've just bought the first expansion but haven't had a chance to play with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore (Second Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yog Sothoth
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 9 year old of my own and he really enjoys:

Arcadia Quest
Memoir '44
Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers
Super Dungeon Explore
Dungeon Command: Sting of Lolth - and the other 4 in this series

We have also played Star Wars: Imperial Assault but not the skirmish but I am sure he would enjoy that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
Do you want it to be a skirmish-level, where one piece = one character sort of game, or do you want it to be more of a strategic level, where one piece = a unit, fleet, or army?

Do you have a preference for theming? Sci-fi vs. Fantasy vs. Modern?

Do you have any desire to play cooperatively?

But off the cuff, I'd second recommendations for Nexus Ops and any of the Command and Colors titles (or derivatives). Imperial Assualt/Arcadia Quest/Planeswalkers are all good games, but they definitely fall into the tactical skirmish sort of game. Not knowing your level of tolerance for "encouraging violent behavior" I hesitate recommending them for you and your son - but if having individual characters shot and killed is not a concern, they are all excellent games, to which I would add Krosmaster Arena (which has very nice fully painted miniatures) and Descent 2nd Edition. Descent, with the free app download, allows you to play a cooperative dungeon crawl, so you can both take on the game instead of fighting against each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Defenders of the Realm or Defenders of the Last Stand? They're like Pandemic with some dice rolling, so it should be simple enough for a 9 year-old to grasp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to gaming with your kids!

+1 for Nexus Ops as a starter. If you've already got Risk down then upgrade to Ikusa or Fortress America if you have enough players, dig the themes and the 9yo has the attention span (mine did).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Ladd
msg tools
Rivet Wars. Easy rules. Looks great. Nice and chunky for small hamds. A hit here, for the nine and seven year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Battle Cry 150 anniversary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing this game, though might be lighter than what you are looking for. I think a 9 year old would like it!

Battleball

Cool pieces, cool dice, and there are copies for under 10 bucks on the marketplace!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Lynch
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Welcome to the PLEASUREDOME
badge
Memoir 44

...because some (most?) of the scenarios are weighted. One side usually has an advantage and if your kid plays that side then that should allow you to actually play also without sandbagging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.