Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

This game was released right around the same time as Prime Time. I backed both on Kickstarter and was super excited for both (mostly Prime Time though). When Prime Time let me down, I started to press for The Networks to be great. I wanted a good TV station themed game so badly. The Networks still blew me away.

People, this is a great light game. The theme is wonderful, the decisions are hard and the game plays light. There is math in this game, mostly addition. All the information you need is available to all the players. The game has very little luck, which is refreshing in a TV Station game.

There are some interactive "screw you" cards in the game, but they can be taken out. I'm starting to think these cards may be the catch up mechanic in the game as it is pretty hard to come back if you fall behind too far. In my games, I've seen one guy fall behind and never catch up, one runaway leader, but mostly I've seen everyone sticking around in a certain numerical bubble. Unless you play really dumb or have really bad luck, you should stay within striking difference. Is this a flaw or a benefit?

I find this to be a brilliant very enjoyable game. I highly recommend this game. The first weekend I got the game, I played it 7 times. 7 times! This isn't a quick filler (although I can play the game in 30 minutes now). Love this game. I can't wait to get more TV Shows, more stars, and more stuff!! I need more !!!!

Keeper.

Components:

The components are rather bland. We get small black cubes. We get nice cards which is great because they will be shuffled a lot. The art is funny, but over all a miss for me. The graphic design is brilliant though! Everything is great quality, but I don't think it will blow you away. At the end of the day, this is a card game and boards and extras are really not needed.

Rule Book:

The rules are super clear. After a single reading, I didn't really need to refer to the rules again. Most of what you need is presented on the board/cards which is really useful. The game is very clear and intuitive.

Flow of the Game:

The goal of the game is to get the most viewers. You do this by developing shows and attaching the best stars. This all requires money which is gained by getting Ads or by passing. Network cards are the wild card factor that will allow you to do both of these.

On a turn, a number of each of the cards will be placed face up. On a turn you can choose one of the following actions:

1. Develop a show: take a show and attach the required stars/ads
2. Take an Ad or Star (Ads give you money, stars cost money)
3. Attach an Ad/Star to your show - these are ads/stars you already took and usually upgrade what you do have attach or add to it
4. Take a Network Card - these cards will allow you to break the rules or score at the end of the game
5. Pass - You get paid more money/viewers if you pass earlier

All of the information in the game is known to all the viewers. There is very little luck in choosing which card you want. You know exactly what you are get when you take a card.

You will use these cards to fill your network with a show at 8, 9 and 10 PM. At the end of the round, you will pay your expenses (or gain money from ads), score your viewers and each of your shows will age. This aging of the shows will make them all worth a different amount next round (so maybe you cancel them to get a better performing show?).

Should I buy this game?:

Yes! This game has a huge fun factor to me. The blend of lightness and strategic decisions is wonderful. While I wish the different TV stations had some more different attributes, it is what it is. Otherwise, this is a game that I would recommend most people to at least check out, especially if you like this theme at all. This is the TV Network game to get.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played it once so far, and thought it was fun, but slightly too long. Which is weird as your'e categorizing it as a quick filler. It will probably get quicker with more experience, as I did have to refer to the rules several times. Which was odd, seeing how simple the game is.

Edited: My bad! Misread. You stated it ISN'T a quick filler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
This isn't a quick filler

epilepticemu wrote:
your'e categorizing it as a quick filler.

Whaa?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is such a fun game, would have been a quicker game if my nephew didnt flame out in the middle, he just lost interest. You know the nightmare of gaming, someone asking "Is it my turn?". The turns are so quick anyway, it got annoying. But the game itself is gold and I also want MORE!

I mentioned it in my review but the highlight of my game was putting Bob Ross as the star of the walking dead. That just tickled me pink for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first game tonight (3P) and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I like the timing of your decisions as you not only build your network but also keep a wary eye on your opponents.

There are some clever mechanics like the double Scoring Round at the endgame, with your shows aging in-between (score-age-score).

It was easy to learn and kept us engaged throughout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
Only played it once so far, and thought it was fun, but slightly too long. Which is weird as your'e categorizing it as a quick filler. It will probably get quicker with more experience, as I did have to refer to the rules several times. Which was odd, seeing how simple the game is.

Yeah, I got this game down to 30 minutes. Sure, a little longer than a filler, but I was trying to make a point. This isn't a long game to me at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
It is such a fun game, would have been a quicker game if my nephew didnt flame out in the middle, he just lost interest. You know the nightmare of gaming, someone asking "Is it my turn?". The turns are so quick anyway, it got annoying. But the game itself is gold and I also want MORE!

I mentioned it in my review but the highlight of my game was putting Bob Ross as the star of the walking dead. That just tickled me pink for some reason.

Love the humor in the game! If you ever need a player, I'm always around
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Played our first game tonight (3P) and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I like the timing of your decisions as you not only build your network but also keep a wary eye on your opponents.

There are some clever mechanics like the double Scoring Round at the endgame, with your shows aging in-between (score-age-score).

It was easy to learn and kept us engaged throughout.

I couldn't agree more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
Only played it once so far, and thought it was fun, but slightly too long.

A "Light" game that is "Too Long" are a game's death knell for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:
Only played it once so far, and thought it was fun, but slightly too long.

A "Light" game that is "Too Long" are a game's death knell for me.

With all respect intended, my friend is long. It is not too wrong. I think he had a bad experience with his nephew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then I look forward to giving it a try, hopefully at Lobster Trap. Where my Lobstahs at?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
You know the nightmare of gaming, someone asking "Is it my turn?".

The one glitch in this regard is the variable player order. Even experienced gamers sometimes just try to go clockwise around the table.

That said, the player-order mechanism seems like an important part of the game balance. An early lead can end up being painful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.