$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
$30.00
Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » News

Subject: 1st August 2016 - still top 5 non-collectible miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This site's been quoted before, but they released Spring 2016 data a couple of days ago, STAW still sits at #5:

http://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/35145/top-5-non-collec...

1 X-Wing Fantasy Flight Games
2 Warhammer 40K Games Workshop
3 Star Wars Armada Fantasy Flight Games
4 Warmachine Privateer Press
5 Star Trek Attack Wing WizKids
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It deserves to be in the top five. STAW is one of the best miniatures games around and definately THE absolute best for recreating themed scenarios based on actual tv and movie battles.

I simply cannot express my joy for being able to play out my favourite Star Trek battles with the starships and characters that I choose. NO OTHER MINIATURE GAME SYSTEM DOES IT BETTER!!! PERIOD!!! The Dominion War campaign was simply the best store-based campaign that I've ever been a part of. I really enjoyed taking part in the battles for DS9 using my Klingon Negh'vars, Vor'chas, and Birds-of-Prey. The Battle of AR-553 was especially superb - fighting in space as we beamed troops to the surface and fought on the ground as well.

One of my favourite battles was when I beamed my Klingon crew over to DS9 and took it over but then my enemy beamed over his crew and we fought in space as our crews fought on the space station, then his crew defeated my crew on the station and then used the station's firepower to turn the tide of the space battle raging around the station. Yeah, I lost that battle but it was a TRULY EPIC GAMING MOMENT!!!

Anyhoo, I just hope this game continues to produce balanced ship expansions and fun themed scenarios.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashen von Ragend
Austria
Wien / Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which other non-collectible miniatures are there? Pathfinder, D&D Attack Wing...what else?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Herr von Ragend wrote:
Which other non-collectible miniatures are there? Pathfinder, D&D Attack Wing...what else?


- Warhammer Age of Sigmar
- Games Workshop's Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit
- Wings of Glory (formerly Wings of War)
- Sails of Glory
- Flames of War
- Alien vs. Predator
- Batman Miniature Game
- Marvel Miniature Game
- Beyond the Gates of Antares
- Bolt Action
- Dropzone Commander
- DUST Tactics
- Firestorm Armada
- Full Thrust
- Guildball
- Terminator Genisys

And quite a few more.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashen von Ragend
Austria
Wien / Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a few...ty
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Wizkids, you clearly have a run away success with this game and now the ships paint jobs are acceptable enough for all but the most critical people...

So give us see some previews of the next waves and some release dates!


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stefano magliocchi
Italy
Grosseto
Tuscany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that wargames are eligible for this ranking.
They are a different category. Otherwise what about Impetus, Lasalle, Grand Armeé, Field of Glory, Force on Force, etc.. some of the most valuable e playable wargames, but not concerning in this ranking list.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
maggico wrote:
I'm not sure that wargames are eligible for this ranking.


pedro_ak wrote:
1 X-Wing Fantasy Flight Games
2 Warhammer 40K Games Workshop
3 Star Wars Armada Fantasy Flight Games
4 Warmachine Privateer Press
5 Star Trek Attack Wing WizKids


If wargames are ineligible then why are there two of them in the top five ranking?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised to see Armada at place 3. Is that really selling so strongly over at the US?

In Europe it's quite weak. Way weaker than X-Wing at the very least.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cut_ wrote:
I'm surprised to see Armada at place 3. Is that really selling so strongly over at the US?

In Europe it's quite weak. Way weaker than X-Wing at the very least.

Same here. I've heard that these ratings are based on polling a relatively small sample of US stores, so I'm not sure how much credence to give them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stefano magliocchi
Italy
Grosseto
Tuscany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I think that someone want to live with a ranking for commercials.
I doubt that a wargamer think that STAW or Armada are wargames and not boardgames with some minias.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maggico wrote:
Because I think that someone want to live with a ranking for commercials.
I doubt that a wargamer think that STAW or Armada are wargames and not boardgames with some minias.


I'm a wargamer and I think STAW is a wargame. It has units with attack, defense, and movement factors, maneuver tools, and ranged weapon fire, with combat resolved via die rolls. Why isn't it a wargame?

Define "wargame"...
devil
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
Cut_ wrote:
I'm surprised to see Armada at place 3. Is that really selling so strongly over at the US?

In Europe it's quite weak. Way weaker than X-Wing at the very least.

Same here. I've heard that these ratings are based on polling a relatively small sample of US stores, so I'm not sure how much credence to give them.


Not that it is definitive, but the CEO of FFG seemed to be referring to the same figures according to the interview found here:

http://concentratefire.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/the-state-of-a...

He mentions Armada as #3... The relevent part is:

shmitty wrote:
Sales

I asked in general terms how Armada was doing for FFG, if sales were healthy, etc. Mr. Peterson excitedly told me about how well it was doing. He said it was the 3rd best selling miniature game in the USA behind X-Wing and Warhammer 40k. He related that FFG does not really compare Armada sales to those of X-Wing. The sales for X-Wing have been astronomical for FFG and I got the impression that they almost view those as an outlier and not a bench mark for their other game lines. It would appear that by their own measurements FFG considers Armada to be very successful and healthy from a sales standpoint. He said that he knows that production delays can sometimes give another impression, but that in no way is the case from their point of view.

Now, I got extremely positive sales numbers from a company CEO....shocking right? All I can say is I am a high school teacher and my BS sensor is pretty highly tuned. I honestly found Mr. Peterson to be very genuine in his conversation with me.


As I say, not definitive, but the numbers appear to carry some weight...

Think it is fair to say (as has been said many times before) that STAW must have strong support outside of those people that play OPs/post here OR the perceived level of OP support required for "healthy" sales is different from what some may think...

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stefano magliocchi
Italy
Grosseto
Tuscany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
maggico wrote:
Because I think that someone want to live with a ranking for commercials.
I doubt that a wargamer think that STAW or Armada are wargames and not boardgames with some minias.


I'm a wargamer and I think STAW is a wargame. It has units with attack, defense, and movement factors, maneuver tools, and ranged weapon fire, with combat resolved via die rolls. Why isn't it a wargame?

Define "wargame"...
devil


Morale? Unit condition (fragmented, pinned, exhausted, etc..)? Quality? Etc...
I could be wrong, but if all these games are wargame (and I'm a wargamer too), Risk is a wargame?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maggico wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
maggico wrote:
Because I think that someone want to live with a ranking for commercials.
I doubt that a wargamer think that STAW or Armada are wargames and not boardgames with some minias.


I'm a wargamer and I think STAW is a wargame. It has units with attack, defense, and movement factors, maneuver tools, and ranged weapon fire, with combat resolved via die rolls. Why isn't it a wargame?

Define "wargame"...
devil


Morale? Unit condition (fragmented, pinned, exhausted, etc..)? Quality? Etc...
I could be wrong, but if all these games are wargame (and I'm a wargamer too), Risk is a wargame?


Technically? Yes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wargaming
War game and board game are not mutually exclusive.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maggico wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
maggico wrote:
Because I think that someone want to live with a ranking for commercials.
I doubt that a wargamer think that STAW or Armada are wargames and not boardgames with some minias.


I'm a wargamer and I think STAW is a wargame. It has units with attack, defense, and movement factors, maneuver tools, and ranged weapon fire, with combat resolved via die rolls. Why isn't it a wargame?

Define "wargame"...
devil


Morale? Unit condition (fragmented, pinned, exhausted, etc..)? Quality? Etc...
I could be wrong, but if all these games are wargame (and I'm a wargamer too), Risk is a wargame?


I'm not a wargamer, but I'm not convinced that any of those are essential to the definition--or for that matter, that the genre can be boiled down to any such checklist. For the record, I don't think Risk or Attack Wing is a wargame per se, but I'm also guessing it doesn't matter; the whole point of ICV2's categories is that "non-collectible minis" games have a very different sales model. The average player of Hammer of the Scots or ASL or Memoir '44 has bought one copy. It's just not useful to compare those to a game that players often spend twenty times as much on (and if you did, I suspect that the ranking would look much the same as it does now).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.