GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,167 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Usability of 1st edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Thompson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My local B&N still has the 1st edition available, and I am wondering if it is worth it to purchase for use with 2nd edition (being delivered Tuesday). How much of 1st edition is actually used with 2nd edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Branr wrote:
My local B&N still has the 1st edition available, and I am wondering if it is worth it to purchase for use with 2nd edition (being delivered Tuesday). How much of 1st edition is actually used with 2nd edition?

All the tiles and miniatures, which is a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy it for sure. The first edition is not sub par by any means. It's a great game which I have not had the chance to play as much as I like.

The 2nd ed. just seems to take the general concept, streamline certain aspects significantly, and you can play co-op. In some ways it sounds like a huge improvement but I don't think it diminishes the first ed. at all. Just offers a different experience. I haven't played the 2nd ed. yet but that's what I gather from reading up on it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
I went looking at my B&N and they had a copy, but I decided to pass on it because it was fairly expensive and I don't even intend to play the game. I strongly dislike the 1 vs all nature of 1st edition.

I'm betting on two things:

1) There's plenty of variety in the 2nd ed. box for the first four scenarios.

2) There will be plenty of expansion material coming, some of which may even be reissues of the parts of 1st ed. that are useable with 2nd ed. They've already done that with Descent.

Basically, I've never played either edition, so I don't think it makes sense to pay the full price of 1st ed. just to get some extra bits that may add a little more variety. I could use that money to get another game (or even two cheaper games) that I'll actually play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lego lascott
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fedaykin98 wrote:
I went looking at my B&N and they had a copy, but I decided to pass on it because it was fairly expensive

Sign up for the B&N Kids Club online if you're not already a member. It's free to sign up. Then wait 24 hours. You will receive a 30% coupon in your email which you can then use to purchase the 1st edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy it if you intend to play it. In my opinion it is not worth it to get it purely for the 2nd edition. Both the minis and the tiles are easily proxied and the real content used in the 2nd edition is in theconversion kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I preordered 2nd edition, then went hunting for first edition last weekend. A friend was in town who enjoys playing the keeper, so i deemed it worth it. I got lucky and found both call of the wild and forbidden alchemy at a flgs.

I say, even if you dont normally like 1vMany style games, 1st edition is worth a try. However, if you are so adverse that you would never try it, i would just pass.
If Descent 2nd edition is any indication, they probably will make 1st edition things available in small expansions. The conversion kit is just a quick way for first edition owners to get expanded variety and to reward them for sticking with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it would not be worth buying if you felt it wasnt going to be something u liked. If u are interested or have thought it looked cool then yes buy the first ed. If its a good price.

Like i said i dont think 1st ed. Is sub par. It will just give you a different experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
legolascott wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:
I went looking at my B&N and they had a copy, but I decided to pass on it because it was fairly expensive

Sign up for the B&N Kids Club online if you're not already a member. It's free to sign up. Then wait 24 hours. You will receive a 30% coupon in your email which you can then use to purchase the 1st edition.

This is a GREAT tip, but I already had a 20% off coupon that was factoring into my decision. I think the sticker price was $80. $56 is better than $64, but it's still enough to go buy a full game that I can enjoy playing for itself, and not just as some extra components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion coming in Fall with 1st edition figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

Did they announce this at GenCon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fedaykin98 wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Did they announce this at GenCon?

New material arriving (GenCon news)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.