$30.00
Tim
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Title says it all. Origins I could drive to, DTC I'd likely have to fly to. Which do you recommend and why?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Different purposes (it's like comparing Gen Con vs BGG.con). What are you looking for in a convention experience? Just board games? Do you want panel discussions? Do you want to try other stuff (e.g. a True Dungeon-style LARP)? Are you introverted enough that large crowds bother you? Would you rather pay $100 for a badge and have it include everything or pay $50 for the badge and an estimated $35 for a few other things on top of that (e.g. does it bother you to do your experience ala carte)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Panel discussions don't really interest me, I may check one or two out. Not interested in LARP. I'm not bothered by large crowds but they can get annoying(long lines, fighting through a crowd to get to a bathroom or something, etc) The all inclusive vs a-la-carte thing... depends on how much of a pain it is(read: long lines) to get access to these things. I don't mind selecting only activities I want but if it means wasting my con time standing in line then I'm not interested.

I'd like to spend most of my time at the con doing two things: playing games and checking out all the publishers demoing their latest and greatest.

Thanks for the response btw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
DTC has ample open gaming at all hours. That's the main draw there by far. This year it had a very limited presence from retailers and publishers. I imagine as it grows there will be more of that, but it is unlikely to get anywhere near the scale of Origins in that sense.

If you're still having a hard time deciding, try to think about how many games you plan on buying. Would you rather spend the cost of airfare on games, and in exchange have a little bit more hassle for open gaming, or would you rather have more open gaming but not bring as much home?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobnabob wrote:
Panel discussions don't really interest me, I may check one or two out. Not interested in LARP. I'm not bothered by large crowds but they can get annoying(long lines, fighting through a crowd to get to a bathroom or something, etc) The all inclusive vs a-la-carte thing... depends on how much of a pain it is(read: long lines) to get access to these things. I don't mind selecting only activities I want but if it means wasting my con time standing in line then I'm not interested.

I'd like to spend most of my time at the con doing two things: playing games and checking out all the publishers demoing their latest and greatest.

Thanks for the response btw!

I've not been to Dice Tower Con but based on what you're saying here, you'd probably enjoy Origins. Lines don't typically get too long except for games that are "hot" like Imhotep or Guilds of London.

Origins is focused more on the playing of games than the buying of them. There are certainly tons of games to be bought but as the focus is on playing, there's typically not a lot of new releases or "new hotness" available for purchase. Publishers will demo upcoming releases but will typically reserve the actually release for Gen Con.

I also did not notice a whole lot of panel discussions at Origins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
143245 wrote:
Different purposes (it's like comparing Gen Con vs BGG.con). What are you looking for in a convention experience? Just board games? Do you want panel discussions? Do you want to try other stuff (e.g. a True Dungeon-style LARP)? Are you introverted enough that large crowds bother you? Would you rather pay $100 for a badge and have it include everything or pay $50 for the badge and an estimated $35 for a few other things on top of that (e.g. does it bother you to do your experience ala carte)?

I want to play ALL THE BOARD GAMES. Which one should I pick?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WBC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JackFlash wrote:
WBC

WBC certainly has the playing and learning of games part down pat. And for some publishers (GMT, MMP, LnL, Academy) you do see their latest and greatest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been to all four of the mentioned cons -- Origins, Dice Tower, GenCon, and WBC (only for a day though).

If you're content playing games your entire con, with maybe a smattering of panels / special events and 10-20 vendors, both Dice Tower Con and WBC offer open and scheduled gaming in spades. Attendees at Dice Tower Con are super friendly and welcoming. DTC seemed to have far more games along the entire spectrum of super light to super heavy compared to WBC which seemed to lean toward the heavy, with wargames being a focal point (again, I was only there for a day). WBC is basically local for me now so there's that.

If you want the excitement of a big con but with smaller crowds, Origins is great. It has open gaming but in the three years I've gone, it's never seemed to be as apparent or inviting as the open gaming at DTC and WBC. Scheduled gaming at Origins, unlike DTC or WBC, are paid events. Typically $2-$4 per game. That's what I do, and it works out great for me. Origins has a fair sized vendor hall with hundreds of vendors, including some hot new releases for sale and demos of GenCon releases.

If you want to spend loads of cash, swim with the sharks, and feel the spectacle of a huge con with things to do at all hours -- GenCon.

I will probably go to Origins every year. I've always enjoyed my time there, and it's only a 2.5 hour drive for me. If I can get a ticket, I plan to go back to DTC every year. And with WBC being in Western PA now, I plan to go there every year as well. GenCon, unfortunately, is a madhouse when it comes to housing so I will probably only go back sporadically. Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
143245 wrote:

Fight for a spot at one of the BGG.con events and ignore the people who whine about how it's blown up. Literally, BGG.Con is pure board games 24/7. DTC would probably come second in that regard (similar event, smaller library).

Personally, I make the 8hr trek to Origins each year, but I like doing weird/unique stuff like Indonesia, Triumph & Tragedy, Roads & Boats, NSDM, a game of Mercs (which was stupidly good for what it was), and a round of Giant King of Tokyo. So, thats a minis game, a LARP, a jumbo game, 2 esoteric board games and a block wargame. Plus, I get my annual long game of Fire in the Lake at Origins each year. I actually almost did more wargames at the last two years of Origins than "standard euro" games, even when I was playing lots of euros at home. Some of that I could do elsewhere at PrezCon/WBC/BGG/DTC, but some of it's not going to show up or be available at an event smaller than Origins (which still has 16k bodies). Thats not even counting the stuff that isn't a "game" per se. It's an opportunity is the gist.

If you're going to play board games and that's it (so no discussions, no buying, literally just playing), you'll do better at a purely board gaming con like BGG. I love going to those sorts of conventions, but my threshold for what I'm willing to pay drops as a result. WashingCon, PrezCon, my local DolarCon are all doable because I don't have to fly and for some of them, I don't even need a hotel room (the commute isn't bad enough). Part of that is because I live in a major metro area where finding specific/specialized games is not overly difficult or impossible so ymmv and I get that. That's why I ask the question of "what do you want from that experience" as that sort of drives the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
143245 wrote:
Annowme wrote:
143245 wrote:

Fight for a spot at one of the BGG.con events and ignore the people who whine about how it's blown up. Literally, BGG.Con is pure board games 24/7. DTC would probably come second in that regard (similar event, smaller library).

Personally, I make the 8hr trek to Origins each year, but I like doing weird/unique stuff like Indonesia, Triumph & Tragedy, Roads & Boats, NSDM, a game of Mercs (which was stupidly good for what it was), and a round of Giant King of Tokyo. So, thats a minis game, a LARP, a jumbo game, 2 esoteric board games and a block wargame. Plus, I get my annual long game of Fire in the Lake at Origins each year. I actually almost did more wargames at the last two years of Origins than "standard euro" games, even when I was playing lots of euros at home. Some of that I could do elsewhere at PrezCon/WBC/BGG/DTC, but some of it's not going to show up or be available at an event smaller than Origins (which still has 16k bodies). Thats not even counting the stuff that isn't a "game" per se. It's an opportunity is the gist.

If you're going to play board games and that's it (so no discussions, no buying, literally just playing), you'll do better at a purely board gaming con like BGG. I love going to those sorts of conventions, but my threshold for what I'm willing to pay drops as a result. WashingCon, PrezCon, my local DolarCon are all doable because I don't have to fly and for some of them, I don't even need a hotel room (the commute isn't bad enough). Part of that is because I live in a major metro area where finding specific/specialized games is not overly difficult or impossible so ymmv and I get that. That's why I ask the question of "what do you want from that experience" as that sort of drives the answer.

Thanks, Grayson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Liggett
United States
Celina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to both cons this year and had a blast at each. I too can drive to Origins and had to fly to DTC. I enjoy both and plan on attending both again, but for different reasons.

Origins: Close to home, save money with driving, event games to choose from, publishers to buy from, demo games and open gaming.

DTC: smaller venue, open gaming, some scheduled events, less hectic pace.

If you are willing to put yourself out there and make new friends, then DTC is great. If you are okay without tons of publishers/demos, then DTC is great. If you have a rental car, then DTC is great (onsite food was expensive and mediocre at best). If you want to attend some DT events/shows, then DTC is great.

I did initially question whether DTC was worth the cost, but since I'm going back, I guess it was a yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.