Popular Tags: [View All]
g colhoun
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As the title states!

We are keen to try this but we are all new and there are 5 of us. Would it be heavy/draggy/ too tight for a first play?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game was with 5 players. We all enjoyed it and played again with 5 players 2 days later. It takes some time 3-4h but it doesn't drag. It's not tight or heavy, there is enough room for 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g colhoun
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
genoan wrote:
Thanks for the tip off.

We played 3 players for our first game, all of us new. Including rules explanation took about 2 1/2 hours and was a lot of fun. We got together within a few days to play it again!

Get everyone to check out the Watch It Played video in preparation, will save a lot of teaching hassle:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g colhoun
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you. The video is excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Cockrell
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 3 5-player games and they were all fun and all took about 4 hours because everyone but me was new to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g colhoun
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is all highly encouraging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game was also with 5. Took about 3-4 hours. Subsequent plays have gotten faster. I think we're at around 2 hours now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first 5 player game with me having played it 4 times but never taught it took 2.5 hours thanks to a sneak saxon attack rampage to get 3 stars in one move round. 2 others were on 5 stars and had less than 3 turns to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Freeber
msg tools
mbmbmb
Stonemaier Games to date has produced nothing buy highly approachable games. I wouldn't hesitate to put 5 new players in front of any of their titles to date. (I'd tell them to hold off on diving into Tuscany until they get some Viticulture under their belts, but other than that it's all very accessible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was playtesting in the final wave (same rules as release) I played a 5 player game at PAX prime with 4 new players, and it took 2:47 including an absolutely crap rules exposition, and my own meticulous record-keeping slowing things down.

Everyone had a great time though, well worth the time, and it only took a few rounds before everyone had a good grasp of how to play.

If you're running the game, I'd highly recommend using the quick start cards, and directing the first round of play so that every top row action is demonstrated in play. The early game is slow and safe enough that no one's likely to get in a jam, and it's much more engaging than a rules lecture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
When teaching it is not necessary to be exhaustive at the start of the game. For example, detailed discussion of combat can be held until it looks increasingly relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The people I play with want to know everything beforehand even if they can't grasp it all at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g colhoun
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wished I had read these later posts prior to our first play!

I went through all the rules (no one else knew anything about the game) and spent the game explaining and clarifying. As a result I had a heavy session, finished a long way last. But... Other players were very very positive about it and we will get another game of scythe in asap!

I think it is a superb design. Looks amazing too.

So the first play was just a trial run

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received Scythe while I was working in a remote wilderness camp with little-to-no communications access - meaning I couldn't point newbies to a video, I had to teach them myself. I ended up teaching 15 individuals over the course of 14 games, most games having at least one other experienced individual playing besides myself (there were usually 1-2 open seats for newbies). of the 14 games, 8 were 5-player.

I'd have the newbies show up a half hour before game-time and teach them all the rules. The more the other players played, the more they'd pitch in to help newbies as they played but generally I wouldn't play as well because I was distracted by keeping track of the newbies. Which was fine with me because my priority was that everyone was enjoying themselves.

I think overall the board size/game size wasn't that big of a factor for the newbies. Games tended to run long (3+hours) but no one seemed to notice because they felt invested in what they were doing. Many of the newbies left wanting to play again and were eagerly chatting away about what they learned and how they wanted to adjust their strategies next time. Quite a few of the people I taught had never played anything more difficult than Catan - and in a few cases, had never branched out beyond Monopoly. One gal started off despising board games and ended up our MVP, vowing to purchase a copy once Scythe goes retail, and showed up for other game days featuring other games.

TL;DR - I found no difference in teaching newbies with any amount of players and if anything preferred 5-player for teaching. And though game length is increased, of 15 newbies, no one seemed to care and everyone wanted to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.