Subject: Extended Board 2p rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, didn't back the KS, bought the retail version of the game and am now trying to decide whether to buy the board extension as an add on.

We will play this 95% of the time 2p, so is the board extension worth it, or does it just make the map too open and overwhelming? We have the table space for it, just don't know if it adds anything at all to 2p experience, or if it's really designed for the larger player counts.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
The board extension doesn't change anything. Wit the extension you can just use the back of the normal board + the extension to have bigger hexes. The number of hexes and the distribution stays the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board is laid out exactly the same (same number of hexes) it is just larger, like the smaller board but magnified!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for 2 players it is not really important to have that additional space. And you need a huge table to use it!
Though it is nice to see the board details a little better…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The board image is the same, just magnified. So the only difference is that it's a little bit harder to reach everything.

I split the resources and coins roughly in half so there's some of everything accessible to both of us. Each person is responsible for the decks and tracks on their side of the board because odds are good the other person can't reach* them without standing.

That said, I love the big board and have yet to play without it, even two player.

*OK that might just be me and my short arms. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Adria wrote:
That said, I love the big board and have yet to play without it, even two player.
This.

I played my first learning game on the "regular" board, moved to the extended board for my first real game and can't imagine going back. It does take up a ton of space, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PunTheHun wrote:
I think for 2 players it is not really important to have that additional space. And you need a huge table to use it!

I use the big board even when I play solo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it matters weather you play with 2 or 5 players. On one hex there can always be only workers/mechs/characters of 2 players plus resources. It doesn't get more crowded with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
The big board is too big, IMO.

My table barely fits the standard board with one player set up across the table from another.

I have no regrets sticking with the standard edition and playing with the small board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Somehow I didn't realize that it was the exact same board, only bigger. I might get it, then, given that my eyes are total crap. Bigger is usually better in my world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just turn your standard board over and you can see 2/3 of the extended board. That will let you know if the increased detail and size is worth it to you. I love how it looks, but it is big.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been playing Scythe a lot lately (so my experience is 2p ONLY) and we absolutely love it. We tried it with both regular and extended board sizes and absolutely prefer the larger board size. It is a table hog, but we're kind of used to it after playing so much War of the Ring. I'd definitely recommend the big board. Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Niggel
msg tools
It's worth noting that the standard board is already pretty big. It's not a compromise or sub-par experience at all. We have a medium-size table and with all the other components, we just barely fit the game comfortably. We wouldn't be able to fit the extended board at our table with enough space to actually have player mats, etc.

But I do appreciate the enlarged artwork on the 2/3 of enlarged board that I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
The board extension doesn't change anything. Wit the extension you can just use the back of the normal board + the extension to have bigger hexes. The number of hexes and the distribution stays the same.

The board is already fairly large without it, incidentally; The table we do most of our gaming on, that fits most games fine, just about fits the regular board and player mats. The extended board turns it from being 624x818mm to being 818x936mm, without any gameplay differences. Gorgeous art, so if we had a table large enough I'd probably be using it, but...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
PunTheHun wrote:

I use the big board even when I play solo!

Me too, it's just to nice not to!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Freeber
msg tools
mbmbmb
That big board...it's got HUGE...TRACTS OF LAND!!!

2 Player on the big board on a standard 4x6 dining table should be fine, but I put 5 people around that and you more or less need sideboards to hold things. I cannot stress enough just how much space the board takes nor how glorious it is. And frankly, unless you love using resource multipliers, you need that big board space for your massive stores of goods.

I'm not saying the regular map is unplayable, only that the bigger map is just really nice to have. I'd be hard pressed to not spend the $10 on it just to have it for when you want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the extension connect to the main board? I know the KS version came with connectors but the retail version, according to the rulebook, doesn't.
Does it just lie at the side of it? If so, I would think that there may be problems with the two sections drifting apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mbmbmbmb
They just sit next to each other, no attaching. There is no problem with them drifting apart. The boards are big and fairly heavy. We even played in a bar with two tables butted up to each other. The tables were uneven and wobbly and we still had no problems.

As a matter of fact the clips that come with it are a bit too small and tight and you risk damaging your board if you use them. Many people have also reported that they break easily as well.

My advice after having played with the extension 7 times is you don't need them so throw them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They lay perfectly even next to each other. Don't know how they managed it, I have always trouble with 18oe and mega civ where the boards tend to drift appart, not with scythe. Maybe I try the clips for 18oe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
One one of these threads someone said they use Post-It notes applied underneath the two sections of the board to keep them together.

I tried it and it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steftymo wrote:
How does the extension connect to the main board? I know the KS version came with connectors but the retail version, according to the rulebook, doesn't.
Does it just lie at the side of it? If so, I would think that there may be problems with the two sections drifting apart.

The clips are crap anyway - broke the first time I tried to use one. They are completely unnecessary, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.