Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys.
I randomly remembered this beauty from my childhood. It was the only game at my Grandma's house besides a deck of Italian playing cards. Jive Bunny was I think was a mascot animated bunny from a one hit wonder song in the 90's. I seem to remember the game as a roll and move where you move up the top 40 trying to make a hit record.

Mainstream Games for me feel like a stream of popular remakes and tie ins, plus random games trying to make it into every kid's letter to santa.
So what games do you remember that found their way into your lives via the big toy shops that never made it big?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a bunch of kids games growing up, and two that came to mind just now are Splat! and Don't Feed the Gators. Maybe these are obscure enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a lot of Fortune Maker with my brother when we were younger and I still own it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Garnet Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had Gambler at my Grandmother's house. It had the cool shaker with the dice in it. Who wouldn't love that as a kid. Fun times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
HeathCon Fall 2017 Oct 20th - 22nd
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 2 left to play
mbmbmbmbmb
10-Four, Good Buddy was one I had as a kid. The best part was the CB slang dictionary so you could use the lingo in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was young, I figured everybody played Fighter-Bomber, just like everybody played Risk. Only much later did I realize it was more obscure than I originally thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
We used to play this one all the time. Down the Tubes...I think my mom still has it on the bookshelves at her house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the middle to late eighties, around the age of 9, I had an Indiana Jones game that I haven't seen listed here and don't remember the name, loosely tied to the Temple of Doom movie (so it should be from 84-85 maybe). The characters were chit standees of Indy, Willie, Short Round, and three native villains, and it had a cardboard 3D temple with corridors on the center of the board that you had to build, with an idol token placed in the center.

It was just a roll and move game where you had to reach the center of the temple to grab the idol, then exit again and follow another path to reach a plane and escape, I don't remember if you controlled multiple characters as a team or just one. If you landed on some spaces they forced you to draw cards from one of two decks, a "Kali" deck that was always bad and an "Indy" deck that was good, but I remember every card in each deck had the same effect, so I ended modding them with unique texts to make them less predictable.

Anybody has a clue of what game was this? (maybe it was sold only in Latin America, not sure)

EDIT. It wasn't a figment of my imagination. Thru the magic of a zillion keywords and a lot of scrolling, I managed to find some ugly pics of the box around the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my first games.

Still have this version.

1954 edition with the red cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmdaltgamer wrote:
Jive Bunny was I think was a mascot animated bunny from a one hit wonder song in the 90's.

Even less exciting than that, the Jive Bunny songs were just bits of 50s and 60s songs stuck together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, from memory you had to move around concentric circles collecting plastic pieces of the transmitter so ET could call home and then i think he was also covered in a sheet at one point for Halloween and you had to get him to the pick up point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Careers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Breaker 19: The CB Trucker Game - I think my grandfather gave it to me. Maybe this is why I enjoy the pickup and deliver mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
I loved playing with (and once in a while playing) Qubic.
I'm not actually sure how popular it was, but I finally found a second copy a while back to replace some broken supports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chopper Strike (1976)
The Fastest Gun (1973)
The Six Million Dollar Man (1975)
On the Buses (1973)
Stranded (1981)
...just to name a few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crusader Rabbit TV Game my sister got it for Christmas and I played it when I was five I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.