Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What the heck!

Where are the REAL company names?

From Baltimore & Ohio we got real companies,

Here we get Red Northern? Or, something out of Bevis and Butthead..."dude, i gotta go drop a Brown Valley..hehehe"

And, no, the fact that you can start from any of three cities is NOT an excuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
karstenengelmann wrote:

Why not? Players have considerable control over the character and shape of their companies in this game. It makes sense not to attach them to any specific historical company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
The transcontinental race wasn't done in parallel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
karstenengelmann wrote:

Why not? Players have considerable control over the character and shape of their companies in this game. It makes sense not to attach them to any specific historical company.

One can just as easily start the Union Pacific from the south, or the Kansas Pacific from Chicago, or whatever. One of the reasons people play train games is for the flavour of train companies, as opposed to generic.

Having actual railroads, and they could be minor ones that you allow to go big (like, who ever heard of the Southern Pacific!) would have been better than Brown Valley. Ugghh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
karstenengelmann wrote:
One of the reasons people play train games is for the flavour of train companies, as opposed to generic.

This may not be the best game for those folks. I'd recommend Union Pacific

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
karstenengelmann wrote:
One of the reasons people play train games is for the flavour of train companies, as opposed to generic.

For Winsome Games titles? I doubt they're a significant fraction of the audience. Winsome Games games rarely if ever use an identity as more than an arbitrary label. Heck, even the bindings to company names in Union vs. Central is effectively arbitrary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
karstenengelmann wrote:

For Winsome Games titles? I doubt they're a significant fraction of the audience. Winsome Games games rarely if ever use an identity as more than an arbitrary label. Heck, even the bindings to company names in Union vs. Central is effectively arbitrary.

Perhaps. When I asked John for permission to share my Continental Divide "heat map" he declined, citing the years of historical research that went into the numbers.

I think that was the first time I ever thought of his (and his company's) designs has being really anchored in their themes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
I see a different type of thematic binding. John, and me for that matter, tends to care a lot that the things actually represented are accurate. We don't tend to care that things not represented are accurate. If there are terrain costings...then they are proportionally right. If there are styles of transactions, they are structurally right for the context represented. If there topical identities (company names, whatever), then they are correctly period. Etc.

But I don't care at all that the whole game is thematically correct, that everything is named right, or presented consistently with the theme or supposed narrative or period. I just care that the things that are are claimed are right -- everything else can be wrong. If there are city names, then they should be either all be period correct, or all modern. If there are company names, then they should all be consistently correct, or all consistently wrong, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.