Subject: NP Roman march rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Roman march might be the trickiest among all the NP commands.
My basic question is: can the Roman army (starting from 1 province) split to reach 2 regions, and if yes can it do so in regions with different priorities ?

The current situation has Caesar with all 12 legions and 15 auxilia in Provincia - yeah I know this is a scary view for the Arveni player that I am
Nobody is reaching their victory conditions and there are 4 Germanic allies, so this will be their first priority. They are located in Ubii, Sugambri and Morini regions. As a smart Arveni player (hmmm hmmm), I am totally happy not to harass Caesar's troops in Sequani and let them wreck havoc further away in Germany
Since the Roman troops will cross Rhenus, the only region with Germanic tribes they can reach this turn is Ubii. So will Caesar go there with his full army, or will it seek to split in Sequani to fight me ? I am currently having most allies/citadels so the die roll would pick me automatically, and I have 2 tribes in Sequani.

Let us now change the scenario a bit and assume a German tribe is located in Treveri. Now would the Roman army split in Sequani to reach Germanic allies in both Ubii and Treveri, or would it pick one at random and move there?

Any insight would be highly appreciated, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boulou wrote:
I think Roman march might be the trickiest among all the NP commands.
My basic question is: can the Roman army (starting from 1 province) split to reach 2 regions, and if yes can it do so in regions with different priorities ?

The current situation has Caesar with all 12 legions and 15 auxilia in Provincia - yeah I know this is a scary view for the Arveni player that I am
Nobody is reaching their victory conditions and there are 4 Germanic allies, so this will be their first priority. They are located in Ubii, Sugambri and Morini regions. As a smart Arveni player (hmmm hmmm), I am totally happy not to harass Caesar's troops in Sequani and let them wreck havoc further away in Germany
Since the Roman troops will cross Rhenus, the only region with Germanic tribes they can reach this turn is Ubii. So will Caesar go there with his full army, or will it seek to split in Sequani to fight me ? I am currently having most allies/citadels so the die roll would pick me automatically, and I have 2 tribes in Sequani.
Going by the NP instructions in the rule book, page 24/25 for Roman march:
Since there are more than 6 legions on the map they will go into two regions, splitting their forces as evenly as possible.

As you said, they will go for the Germans. From Provincia they can reach Ubii via Sequani and Sugambri via Sequani -> Treveri (Caesar allows a group he accompanies to march 3 regions)

The only reason they would not go to those two locations is harassment.

Based on what you wrote you are the only faction in Sequani with enough units to harass, but what about Treveri? Can a group with Cesar march through there without taking two losses? If yes then that group goes to Sugambri, if no then it looks like that group will stay in Sequani.

EDIT: And of course if you can arrange it so that each group will take exactly one loss then the Romans will still go for the Germans and be slightly weakened

Quote:
Let us now change the scenario a bit and assume a German tribe is located in Treveri. Now would the Roman army split in Sequani to reach Germanic allies in both Ubii and Treveri, or would it pick one at random and move there?

Any insight would be highly appreciated, thanks!
In the alternate case they would still split. As long as more than 6 legions are on the map they will try to end up in two different legions.
If you are wondering why, there are a couple posts now about what happens if the Romans keep a big doom stack; Arverni have a hard time killing legions and, more importantly for the bot design, Romans have a hard time removing enough allies and will not be very effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Niko!
In Sequani there are 3 Belgae so 1 loss with harassment, and Treveri is under Aedui control so no problem there. So if I understand it correctly, Caesar's troops would split evenly in two parts (including each 6 legions, one 7 auxilia and the other 8), and they would go to Ubii and Sugambri.

Now let us assume there is no Germanic ally in Sugambri, so only one region with Germanic allies is reachable this turn. Would one part of his army stop in Sequani to hunt the Arveni? I guess so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boulou wrote:
Thanks Niko!
In Sequani there are 3 Belgae so 1 loss with harassment, and Treveri is under Aedui control so no problem there. So if I understand it correctly, Caesar's troops would split evenly in two parts (including each 6 legions, one 7 auxilia and the other 8), and they would go to Ubii and Sugambri.

Now let us assume there is no Germanic ally in Sugambri, so only one region with Germanic allies is reachable this turn. Would one part of his army stop in Sequani to hunt the Arveni? I guess so.
If they couldn't reach a second region with German allies the second group would go to the Arverni (since they have the most allies/citadels and are the only player faction)
The specific region would need to be one where there is at least one ally/citadel and where an immediate battle would force the least losses.

Hard to say that this will be Sequani for sure without seeing the whole board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for bearing with me, Niko!

So if I get it correcty, in that case I would first pick randomly one region among those with Arveni allies which are within 3 spaces of Provincia and within other priorities (such as least harassment), then split Caesar's army in two even parts, and finally each would go to their destination (one in Ubii and one in the other chosen region). It starts to make sense to me!
At least the good news is that the army gets to split. No way I can face such a formidable force on its own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.