$20.00
Larry Raymond
msg tools
What would Donald Trump do? I'm a novice and totally lost! I developed and had printed what neighbors think is a great card game with hundreds of cartoon cards but haven't sold many on Amazon. Any clues how I might get some help from a BGG pro before the political crazy-season is over?
Larry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrilly Philly
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG! There is a game design section of bgg forums I'd suggest you check out, you'll get better answers there. I'd suggest blind playtesting with people who do not know you personally, and let them try to figure out the rules on their own as well.

See -> https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/974616/boardgamegeek/board-g...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like Larry has already designed and printed it but wants help marketing.

The cynical side of me, says its too little too late to be thinking about this now, and that you should have looked into this before ever printing it. certainly check out the design forums here on BGG, they can at least give yo opinions on whether your game is any good or even works mechanically.

otherwise best of luck and hopefully you recoup your costs, if not make a little profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
I agree that it may be a bit too late to get any serious traction in the current political season, but if it's a good game with interesting mechanics and/or funny political commentary, it should be marketable all the time anyway. Besides, we do this electoral song and dance every four years, so there will be future opportunities in that regard.

The OP can get his feet wet this time - don't expect a huge change now, but figure out how to do it. Assuming Trump doesn't destroy all of human civilization before the next election, you can capitalize on what you learn next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few red flags pop up here:

It sounds like it was never fully blind tested and developed. Not a good idea since you won't necessarily get honest criticism/different views during development if that was the case, and sometimes that will show in the packaging and visible descriptions and components. Not to say you've done this, but typos and bad grammar in the packaging and sales descriptions are good ways to lose possible sales.

No word of sales outlets outside of Amazon. Limiting your exposure and not be a known name is hard to do there with the hundreds of titles available there and many already well known or advertised around outside of there.

No word on advertising or promotional efforts before this. If you haven't done the work advertising and promoting your work by buying ads where people who might want the game would be aware of it, and just put it out there thinking that people will buy it outright, you have limited your possible sales to nearly nothing. People can't buy it if they don't know about it. And yes, advertising will cost money, but if you're selling stuff, you should have put together a marketing budget as part of the plan, especially if you decide it is a business.

You mentioned they are cartoon cards. That gets really mixed reactions from people, especially if it might be a serious game, but also people may not like the artwork and won't look any further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Raymond
msg tools
Thanks for your thoughts on this. Yes, I surely made some fundamental mistakes. Stared out to have some fun and got carried away. Didn't even think about blind testing and even worse, didn't look for a distributor until I had printed it up. I did spend some money advertising and sending demos, but was ineffective at it. So now, just casting around to see if there is some person or organization that might want to try to move some. Any further ideas welcomed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Raymond
msg tools
I'm sure you're right that the best opportunities have passed-- and like you, I hope the world doesn't get destroyed before the next election cycle. The game would work in other elections, local ones too, but I'll have to be smarter than I am now to to make it work. fyi link to the web pg:
http://politicalzingers.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.