8 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Phoenix (Rachel Summers) - Excalibur rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
So I am working on an Excalibur expansion (see this thread for full description of what I have planned: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1614599/nightcrawler-my-fir...). When it is complete I will compile all the cards into one thread but I wanted to keep them separate during the proof reading and revisions stage so that I don't have to search through a whole thread for comments on a particular card set. Today's Contribution is Phoenix (Rachel Summers):

Any Input is appreciated

This was a really tough one for me...so chances are I over thought it a little bit. In any case I wanted to focus on the balance of power and danger that are associated with the Phoenix. Also, although she would be a great candidate for STRENGTH or RANGED abilities I chose to have her be a strictly INSTINCT based hero because the although Rachel has powers of her own just like her mother, The Phoenix is a different deal all together and sort of takes over. Having her be a single ability hero also weakens her cards a little because they become less useful for pairing with other cards.

NEW KEYWORD - PHOENIX FORCE
One way I tried to showcase the balance between power and danger is by introducing a new keyword PHOENIX FORCE which works as follows: If you play 2 Phoenix cards in one turn you must KO a hero (hand or discard pile) that costs 4 or less. If you play 3 Phoenix cards in one turn you must KO a hero (hand or discard pile) that costs 5 or more. I think these consequences would stack so that if you played 3 Phoenix cards you would actually end up KO-ing 2 heros (4 or less and 5 or more), but that might be a little to harsh so let me know if you think the effect should be one or the other as opposed to both. This seemed like a good way to make her cards pretty powerful but limiting your ability (or perhaps willingness) to play a bunch of them in a given hand, but at the same time gives her a helpful mechanic of being bale to cull down your deck. Again the issue starts to compound if you get a bunch of her cards, at first it will be great because you can KO your starting deck pretty quick, but eventually you might have so many cards KO-ed that your 3-5 phoenix cards are coming up in almost every hand and then you have to make some choices about which to play etc. I also liked this mechanic because she was such a volatile character in the comics.

OK ON TO THE CARDS:

Common 1 (I'm With Her) - Recruiting card that buffs with more x-men and Excalibur heros in play. The idea here is 1) Phoenix should be a strong recruiter...wouldn't you want to be on her team. 2) Her ability to recruit snowballs, as more people join the team others are more likely to want to get involved.

Common 2 (I am Fire) - Basic attack with a double INSTINCT kicker.

Uncommon (I am Life Incarnate) - Phoenix seems to always be saving the day at the last moment, bringing people back from the brink of death (and in some cases I think bringing people back from actual death). So although she can be dangerous (and in context of the game might cause you to KO a few heros) This card allows you to make things right and you can recruit from the KO pile. I added the bonus attack almost like the hero is returning to the battle right then. Also another double instinct kicker. This card has a lot going on and could be OP, I would love you input. UPDATE: the card was super OP. So I tamed it down a fair bit. Now you have to trigger the effect of recruiting from the KO pile with an instinct hero, you only get the printed attack or recruit as bonus attack rather than the cost as bonus attack (I was amazed how often I was getting 5-7 coast heros in the KO pile). I think it is a pretty well balanced card now.

Rare (I am Phoenix) - This is a really powerful card (10 attack!), but again I tried to balance it by it being dangerous. You could wound the whole team with this card, and if you do you could loose all your attack (if playing with 5 players). This is not a likely scenario but a much more likely scenario is 1-2 players getting a wound and taking your attack down to 6 or 8. One clarifying note is that even the player that uses this card needs to reveal an x-men or Excalibur card (this card would not count for that. I would love some help in wording this. One approach I considered was taking the Excalibur team icon off of the card (cause when she goes full-on-nuclear-phoenix she is not really on any team, she is on her own? Thoughts?

Input and feedback is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Does anything happen if you play four or more Phoenix cards in a turn?

I haven't read anything when Rachel was possessed by the Phoenix, but I don't doubt it happened. And certainly there should be an element of danger to her harnessing cosmic power, especially if or when it drives her insane.

I think a better alternative to your Phoenix Force mechanic would simply be having to KO a card as a side effect of playing one of Rachel's cards. This would combine nicely with being able to recruit cards that have been booted from the game, and it's in keeping with the theme of Phoenix Force Cyclops and the quite good Phoenix Force Jean. Also, at first you'll enjoy killing cards, but after a time you run out of obvious things to remove from the game. You could make your huge rare require its player to KO more than one card, or KO something directly from the player's hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
Tsallak wrote:
Does anything happen if you play four or more Phoenix cards in a turn?

I haven't read anything when Rachel was possessed by the Phoenix, but I don't doubt it happened. And certainly there should be an element of danger to her harnessing cosmic power, especially if or when it drives her insane.

I think a better alternative to your Phoenix Force mechanic would simply be having to KO a card as a side effect of playing one of Rachel's cards. This would combine nicely with being able to recruit cards that have been booted from the game, and it's in keeping with the theme of Phoenix Force Cyclops and the quite good Phoenix Force Jean. Also, at first you'll enjoy killing cards, but after a time you run out of obvious things to remove from the game. You could make your huge rare require its player to KO more than one card, or KO something directly from the player's hand.

So the four or more thing was something I considered and I think I would only include it if I decided that the 2 and 3 card effects didn't stack, otherwise the consequences would be too harsh...i think, but I will tool that around a little bit and see if there a way to make it work.

Now as a general response to your comments about Rachel being possessed by the phoenix. Yeah she was phoenix for pretty much the entire Excalibur series, but it seemed like she had a little more control over it than Jean did (does?...marvel timelines are confusing). Which is why I liked the idea of making most of the damage caused by these cards a choice that the player makes, thus you are sort of controlling how much power to unleash because you know there are always dangers when you let it all out...but sometimes that is the only option and you have to take the risk and endure the consequences.

I considered your idea about just making all/most of the cards KO-oriented, but I decided against it (for now) because i felt like that would just be more or less copying other cards that already exist, and in making a custom card set I have been trying to take different approach to most of the cards in the set while staying within the general balances that have been established by previous cards. So I am inclined to keep the Phoenix Force mechanic, but I will give the more simple KO option another look, it could be the better approach. Thanks for you input. I really appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note if it makes a difference, but the character on the Uncommon is Hope Summers, not Rachel.

By the by, are you going just for the core team or are you gonna hit some of the offshoots/other members as well?

I've always been partial to Kylun myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
YBDynamo wrote:
Just a note if it makes a difference, but the character on the Uncommon is Hope Summers, not Rachel.

By the by, are you going just for the core team or are you gonna hit some of the offshoots/other members as well?

Good catch on the uncommon art. I will make the change...which is too bad because it is great art work.

As far as other characters go I am staring with the founding members and then I may work on a few beyond that. I am for sure doing cerise (because I always liked her), and I was going to do longshot...but the more I look into it I don't think he was ever an Excalibur member, I think I just got it mixed up because they both have several run ins with Mojo. So I think longshot is out. I have already had a request for Pete wisdom and now Kylun is in the que. what it really comes down to is if I run out of steam. At the moment it is still really fun, if it stays that way I might get pretty extensive...but if it starts to get tedious I may just end with the founding members and cerise. We shall see
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
shjacobsen wrote:
YBDynamo wrote:

Good catch on the uncommon art. I will make the change...which is too bad because it is great art work.

As far as other characters go I am staring with the founding members and then I may work on a few beyond that. I am for sure doing cerise (because I always liked her), and I was going to do longshot...but the more I look into it I don't think he was ever an Excalibur member, I think I just got it mixed up because they both have several run ins with Mojo. So I think longshot is out. I have already had a request for Pete wisdom and now Kylun is in the que. what it really comes down to is if I run out of steam. At the moment it is still really fun, if it stays that way I might get pretty extensive...but if it starts to get tedious I may just end with the founding members and cerise. We shall see

Updated the Uncommon art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to the Marvel Master Database

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
Updated some art work and did some major tweaking to the uncommon which was proving to be OP in my testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.