Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crazy! To think what a debt the world of Terrinoth owes to GW and Warhammer Fantasy--and to see now things have come full circle...

Wonder if this means anything for RuneWars the Boardgame? Or BattleLore, which is the closest thing to a Terrinoth-based skirmish game we've had so far...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, info just went up on the FFG main page--looks a lot closer to an X-Wing/Armada style mash up. The kind of thing D&D Attack Wing could have been.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/5/runewars...

Kinda like the idea of grouped units--we'll have to wait for more info to see what the game is actually like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think mostly it means we can count on them no longer having a license from GW, so the death to those lines.

Not a complaint - just an observation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Too bad. Was hoping for something for Runewars or a new board game, but not a miniature game. Well, I hope it is good for those that like these games and let's hope FFG does not go down the GWS route... :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my first thoughts based on the information they've released so far

I'm surprised they're releasing this kind of game

Two factions to start is kind of lame for a miniatures game release

Giving it the same name as an existing game is an odd choice

Unless playing with 2D terrain FFG's template movement system is going to be a nightmare
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Invictus5000 wrote:
Ah, info just went up on the FFG main page--looks a lot closer to an X-Wing/Armada style mash up. The kind of thing D&D Attack Wing could have been.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/5/runewars...

Kinda like the idea of grouped units--we'll have to wait for more info to see what the game is actually like.

Thanks for posting this. I can see the X-Wing/Armada comparison. I actually love both of those games, as well as RuneWars, but I am not a miniatures painter, and I am not sure I can get into this game for that reason. It does look pretty cool, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ClanNatioy wrote:

Two factions to start is kind of lame for a miniatures game release

Yea, this took me by surprise. I'd expect at least 4 out of the gate. To me, this suggests either that they're rushing to release ASAP, or they're just testing the waters. The latter seems unlikely, since they made a point of saying that they formed a new department to create these. So I'm guessing they're going for an iterative approach, where they'll release a starter with these two factions, and then expand to new ones as they're ready to go. Similar to what GW is doing with AoS...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
When I first saw the headline on FFGs main site, I was really excited, I've been considering Runewars for a long time. Then I read the article and kinda lost interest. A miniatures wargame? With X Wing style movement? Using squads of units? D&D Attack wing did that, and it didn't work at all.

Also, based on whats in the Core box (and lets all just be honest here, this *is* a Core box) and FFGs current release model, this is going to have a deluge of expansions. They've already done it with X-Wing and Armada, I'm surprised they haven't licensed the term Living Board Game for it.

I'm really not trying to sound negative about this, because I do think it looks really good, but theres no way I'm gonna be able to afford to commit to this.

All I really want to know is, will this be replacing the existing Runewars game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's not forget that X-Wing started with just two factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
In my opinion, Runewars is one of FFG's finest games.. This could never replace the boardgame.

I hope they will add an expansion to the old RuneWars, just for the sake of it.. although I doubt that seeing that they went in a very different direction with this one.

A new Edition of RuneWars would be.. useless since the game system is already perfect, and streamlined enough to still fit in with the new, even though released years ago(when compared to the monsturous TI3 - I've only played with the expansions). (IMO)

What's next? Twilight Imperium LCG ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C
msg tools
Runewars is one of my favorite boardgames, and I'm also into miniatures games, so this announcement has me cautiously optmimistic... but more confused actually than anything else. Isn't Battlelore already basically a miniatures game, just using a hex grid for movement instead of a tape measure? Why release another miniatures game set in the same world? More importantly, my impression is that while Battlelore has a loyal following and is a solid game from what I hear, it doesn't seem to be super-popular. If FFG already has one miniature game that isn't doing incredibly well, what do they hope to expect by releasing something that fills such a similar niche? Granted, Battlelore is skirmish level with fewer miniatures and Runewars Miniatures uses different mechanics, but it still seems redundant.

Don't get me wrong, this has the potential to be something awesome and I hope it proves to be another hit for FFG. I'm just trying to get some insight into their thought process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
According to this Beasts of War interview, part of the requirements for game design is that the mechanics scale from a small skirmish game, to a large scale army game. The core alone, then, can support skirmish games, so the expansions would only appeal to collectors and anyone who wants to play armies. The game, of course, doesn't use a hex board, but the more conventional terrain table most miniature wargames use. The mechanics aren't the same as BattleLore (?). IMO, It's definitely a gamble, since the miniatures wargame market is pretty crowded. However, afaik, this is the only game that's attempting to bridge the boardgame and miniatures wargame markets. I hope, like Kings of War, we can use miniatures from other games. And, maybe, with their resources, we can have 28mm figures, or at least movement trays, for other systems at a lower price than small companies.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/liveblogentry/big-news-from-fanta...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
According to this Beasts of War interview, part of the requirements for game design is that the mechanics scale from a small skirmish game, to a large scale army game.

Interesting. I wonder what the preferred or best mode of play will be. I've seen games before that had options for both skirmish and large scale armies and those games favored one of those modes more.

On another topic I've always wondered why the so called "flight path system" has never been implemented into a hex grid board game before. Having this system on a hex grid would make it infinitely better imo. This unfortunately wouldn't work for a 28mm large army battle type game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, what scale are the minis? I really wouldn't mind a WarMaster followup, something at 10-15mm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
gattz wrote:
Hmm, what scale are the minis? I really wouldn't mind a WarMaster followup, something at 10-15mm.

I was hoping for this as well, but it's a 28mm game [I saw them in person at GenCon]. Even the sculpts that are direct imports from Descent are larger, so no crossover potential there either.

I was hoping this game would cover the Terrinoth answer to the Skirmish mode that Imperial Assault has, and let us get double use out of our giant Descent collections, but it doesn't look like it.

For that this one will be a pass for me, too many similar games to play already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.