Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
True-Neutral
United States
Wellford
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm pretty much fed up with Heroclix and want to try a real miniatures game like Wahmachine, Malifaux, etc.

I really don't care for Heroscape but other than that, I want to try something.

P.S. I, unfortunately, am on the 'spectrum'. I don't want to sound like I'm messing with people, I'm just putting it out there if it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars Minis Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Murkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight Games just announced a new miniatures game based on movement rules of their X-Wing flight path system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Take a look at Guild Ball. It's a mixture of combat and fantasy sports tactics. You can win the game by just beating on your enemy, but some teams allow you to just as easily win by out-maneuvering your opponent and scoring goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Murkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Runewars is not a miniatures games.

Read again: Runewars Miniatures Game. Just announced by FFG. (literally 30 minutes ago)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
murkland wrote:
broken clock wrote:
Runewars is not a miniatures games.

Read again: Runewars Miniatures Game. Just announced by FFG. (literally 30 minutes ago)

Posted 1:08 and edited at 1:08, I edited my post end corrected myself before you even got the satisfaction of proving me wrong. Shame!

Regardless, don't buy an FF miniatures game. They have a nice history of either making a mediocre mini game or abandoning their game. If you do want an FF mini game, just wait till next year when Runewars will be on mass clearance during the black Friday deals.

At least they have Star Wars X-Wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try using the free Chain Reaction 3.0 rules from Two Hour Wargames (THW Game Design) with your existing Clix:
Two Hour Wargames (THW Game Design) specializes in a rules-set that has a constant 'core' (the Reaction system),
which has various bells & whistles bolted on to better reflect the various genres.
Great system!

http://twohourwargames.com/free.html

If you end up liking it, you can then buy whatever miniatures you like!
(It does get to be a drag when miniature games come and go over the years...
All the Miniatures Games in the World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm enjoying Dragon Rampant: Fantasy Wargaming Rules.
You can use any miniatures for it.

The system is pretty open. Rather than measure, I've been playing on a battlemat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True-Neutral
United States
Wellford
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mark, Clock-I've took a glance at Guild Ball and the Descent games before. Might take another look.

Elk,six-Maybe, but I'll wait until I have enough cheap army toys(they said use anything!).

Thanks for the advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hangane wrote:
I'm pretty much fed up with Heroclix and want to try a real miniatures game like Wahmachine, Malifaux, etc.

I really don't care for Heroscape but other than that, I want to try something.

P.S. I, unfortunately, am on the 'spectrum'. I don't want to sound like I'm messing with people, I'm just putting it out there if it helps.

Given what you said about the autism spectrum, you may prefer a game with hexes rather than tape measures for movement -- you may grow frustrated w/ tape measure movement, and your opponents moving in imprecise ways. If you haven't played one yet, see if it's possible for you to watch a game so you can get a feel for it.

If you don't think that will be an issue, generally the game you play is going to be defined by what people in your area will play. Malifaux is fun and allows for a lot of zany combos and has armies that play very differently, 40k is tremendously popular and you may be able to get a group to play it with, Song of Blades and Heroes is amazing but more of a narrative experience, Infinity is (apparently) a cover-based sci-fi game (albeit that drives me nuts!)

Oh, and Sails of Glory and Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game are awesome -- hidden movement planning is really cool.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Percival
Australia
Bendigo
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First step: check out your local scene. You do not want to pick a game and find that it is rarely/never played among the people around you.

I got into Infinity, only to find that locally it is difficult to get a game of anything other than Age of Sigmar. I now have a 4-hour drive to play games

Once you know what the major games are in your local club(s), you can begin narrowing down which of those games best suits you. Any decent club will also give you demo-games to help you make the decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By far the most important for miniature war games is what is being played in your area. Infinity is a great game, for example, but if you don't have people to play with, it doesn't matter. Seek out local gaming groups and find out is being played then go from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True-Neutral
United States
Wellford
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Definitely going with Guildball and SBH. there is a comic shop that sells GB but I'll have to check and see if they play. There is also a Games Workshop store but I'm not too thrilled about it.

Terwox-I don't relly have a problem with measure tape. It's customization and point values that I'm more worried about(never had a problem with Clix since the figs had all the the tools, plus I was never forced to have an all red/gold force). Malifaux, however, might be interesting since it has the least amount of customization.

Again, thank you everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy with Warmachine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I *really* like the Chicago Skirmish session reports, so see if there's game there you like: http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/

I see you own zombicide. Two Hour Wargames has a zombie game called "All Things Zombie", Song of Blade and Heroes has "Fear and Faith", and here's the free AR:SE rules: http://freewargamesrules.wikia.com/wiki/AR:SE

What other figures do you own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guild Ball +1, the community for it is quite active. I've also had a blast painting up 4 guilds this summer! Most of the models have lots of character, and the rules are easy enough to learn.

Infinity +1...but only when you're 'ready.' The advanced rules can be dense, the models are not easy to assemble. The new 'Red Veil' box set is coming out in a few weeks with some beginners rules and models though. A great deal for about $80 online.

I'd recommend Frostgrave over SoBH though. The main rules are cheap on Amazon, and there are already 2 expansion books available. You can use any fantasy models, the actual kits are nice and variable so you can build 20 soldiers in 1 box. Its played on a 3x3 area which is manageable for most people. It also has campaign play. Solid, fun game.

Warmachine just got it's Mark III edition recently, so that's probably a good time to jump in also, with new starter kits being released. Keep in mind, there are a ton of past usable models though, each with special rules, so the actual gameplay can be a heck of a commitment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True-Neutral
United States
Wellford
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Max:Nice. Will check it out, after playing Prison Outbreak.

Store is playing GB and WarmaHordes MIII. Just started building Khadfor and Masons. Thanks everyone!

Now, how do you close this thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thread will continue eternally (that way people with similar questions can find and use the information),
However: if you have the info you need and don't want to see future notifications, you can hit "unsubscribe" (right under the subject-line in the row of buttons

New Thread Printer Friendly Unsubscribe sub options Bookmark Thread Rolls

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.