Subject: Runewars miniature game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Runewars miniatures game was announced today at GenCon.
I wonder what it means about the future of Battlelore.
It can kill it on one hand, or create an option for multi-use figures on the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it will kill BattleLore. BattleLore is not a miniatures game. I hope I am right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It also conflicts a little with Runewars itself. Not sure if branching into "miniatures wargamin" is such a good idea, but only time will tell.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep! wondering the same thing with you over on the RuneWars thread.

They're different games, for sure--but the lack of any BattleLore news + the announcement of this new minis game (which may well tread similar territory) + the fact that BL has been appearing in the backs of all the FFG catalogs...well it makes me worried that the Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs are all stuck at the back of the queue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

It also conflicts a little with Runewars itself. Not sure if branching into "miniatures wargamin" is such a good idea, but only time will tell.

-shnar

Yeah, because x-wing has done so poorly for them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Yeah, it's funny--FFG just got out of that game with Dust not too long ago.

Though, that said--if miniatures is a direction they want to start going again--could be some really interesting IPs applied to whatever system they implement.

AGoT? LoTR? Star Wars? Can't say that's terrible...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielFirestorm wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Yeah, because x-wing has done so poorly for them...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/5/runewars...

Looking at the game, this is basically Fantasy X-Wing. It has dials, maneuvering templates, etc. I was thinking this was going to be the measure + move like Warhammer. Simplifying it to X-Wing style playing, this might be better than expected.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I wonder if they will be prepainted like X-Wing?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though keep in mind, X-Wing has Star Wars behind it, Runewars does not. It won't be anywhere near as popular as X-Wing, but simplifying the gameplay to X-Wing's style of gaming will help a lot.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya beat me to it, shnar!

Yeah, definitely looks to be a whole different beast than either BattleLore or Runewars--a kind of X-Wing/Armada mash up? We'll see.

Very interested to see what RuneWars minis does differently than D&D Attack Wing, which seems out of commission now.

Clearly, there's a different system in play, but as you say X-Wing's been successful at least partially from the IP. It's not clear that Terrinoth on its own is going to push this game. Looks like there's plenty of innovation, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was happy with just the Daqan, Uthuk, and their respective expansions. I did buy the undead but only because it was there. Honestly, I think there's endless replayability as is. If FFG kills BL2, whatever, it's a great game with plenty to play with already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I wonder if they will be prepainted like X-Wing?

-shnar

Nope. The entry feature at the FFG website says:

Quote:
And because all RuneWars figures come unpainted, every new figure is a blank slate for you to paint, customize, and forge an army that only you could have made.

I'll be very sad if we don't get elves for BL2E. I tend to think that they'll get them done, even if that's the end of development for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't think they'll leave BL 2nd Edition without another good faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is awesome news!

soblue

Seriously! I could buy the minis and paint them and use them on a larger BattleLore board made of felt, and...and...

soblue

It looks like Rune-Wing!

surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
If they aren't prepainted, like it sounds they won't be, I hope that the different factions are at least different colors, ala Runewars and BattleLore. At least that way, an unpainted game won't look like a colorless array of grey minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, with forty-eight beautifully sculpted, unpainted figures, you’ll be able to paint and customize your armies to bring an entirely unique touch to your games and enter the hobby of miniatures painting!

from the FFG site
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
48 minis compared to BL2E's 92? And a $100 MSRP?

Maybe there's a market for this one, but I can't see it satisfying any of my appetites that BL2E doesn't already address better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
artayd2
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:

Maybe there's a market for this one, but I can't see it satisfying any of my appetites that BL2E doesn't already address better.

You know they will have expansion army packs for this -- and I will get them for my RPG sessions, those skeletons look sweet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Saggers
New Zealand
Raumati South
Kapiti Coast
flag msg tools
Kapiti Gaming Basterds - Leave your conscience and scruples at the door. Pants optional.
badge
Give me Ameritrash - or give me death.
mbmbmbmbmb
BL2E is one of the few FFG lines that I still continue to support by buying everything that they put out for it. I would be very disappointed if this announcement signals the end of BL2E.

I can't muster any enthusiasm for Runewars Miniatures because I'm simply not a hobby miniatures type gamer. BL2E crosses that divide between board game and miniatures game perfectly for me.

Fingers crossed that FFG at least puts out a fourth faction for BL2E before calling time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas FitzGerald
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder what effect this will have on FFGs relationship with Games Workshop. This seems very clearly poised to fill the void left by GW abandoning Warhammer Fantasy Battles in favour of Age of Sigmarines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:

I suspect the minis for this will probably be higher quality than the ones for BattleLore (and possibly bigger?)

That's just speculation, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I suspect the minis for this will probably be higher quality than the ones for BattleLore (and possibly bigger?)

Not much bigger, if the dice in the picture are ordinary-sized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Not much bigger, if the dice in the picture are ordinary-sized.

Ah, good point.

It'll be interesting to see, are these going to be the same type of plastic as BL2E, metal, or something else?

It looks like a really interesting game to me, but I think I'm likely to have to hold off on it, as my gaming time is limited anyway, and especially the more freeform mini styles (as that takes a lot of "before game" preparation building armies/fleets/etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Loyko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
How could they?
I've been waiting for Battlelore Elves expansion too long... and it seems it never appear after such news...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This new miniatures game looks really fun! If I had unlimited resources (time and money), I would be all over this. As it stands, though, I'd really rather see more BattleLore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.