1 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Rare Branching Paths (My Wish List) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
At the risk of alienating and creating potential feel-bads for people who don't own the 1st Edition sets;

There is a fantastic pool of very specific thematic tiles from 1E that simply won't do them justice as cosmetic replacements for 2E tiles. I think 1E tiles are ripe for introducing rare paths your investigation might take you.

For example, you might make your way though the mansion, to a side exit revealed on the Front Porch & Front Path. There you might snoop around the edge of the Front Path and find... likely nothing.

--But what if on a rare occurence, that Front Path opened some more ground with an Old Oak? And what if on the other side of the Old Oak was a river? What what if you followed that Rapid River and River Bend which eventually lead to a Waterwheel, part of a Sawmill and Mill Yard you had no idea was there?

And what if this entire side mystery made up of half a dozen tiles only opened up in 1-in-10 plays? 1-in-20 plays? 1-in-100 plays?

I think when you have a stack of 2E tiles playing a 2E game, you kind of expect to come across and play with ALL of the tiles during a reasonable amount of serious play. I mean, you payed for the contents of the box. You better be able to experience it all and get your money's worth.

--And that right there is why I'm making a big deal about the 1E tiles, specifically. With 1E tiles, there was no (un-written) promise that you would experience all of the past content. And I think this is where the design space opens up to the unreasonable. It's very unreasonable for a game to provide you with so many additional 2E tiles that you would only get to experience them 1-in-20 plays, for example. But I think it would be very cool to experience it with 1E tiles as hidden, procedurally generated, Easter Eggs.

I'm all for using 1E tiles as cosmetic, largely un-affecting, tile swaps.

I would just like the unreasonable to become reasonable in addition to cosmetic tile swaps. goo

edit: And of course, while I was type this up. Breaking News of the Recurring Nightmares 1E kits were announced. Not sure if that strengthens or weakens my idea. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.