Jon Geruntho
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if it is traditional to make copies of your game and send them to playtesters or have playtesters print their own copy of the game?

(I realize this is only 1 question, but there will be more... I am sure.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these days it probably a fair split. Just a few years ago it would have been mostly playtest copies made by the designer and publisher and sent out to test groups. Now I think it's shifted to more PnP, but probably not over 50%. Even with playtest copies it was normal to have PnP revisions to them as testing went on and changes were introduced.

PnP runs up against 2 limitations. You have to keep graphics and color down to a certain degree to keep costs by playtesters down to a reasonable level. 2nd is that you will have some who just will not expend the energy necessary to PnP the game, even if they would have be glad to accept a copy from you for playtesting. In other words, available pool of playtesters might be smaller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Geruntho
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, cool. I am having the artist's remove the colors and borders for the game to make it easier to PnP, and seeing if there are other options for printing cheaper versions of the game (such as on business cards).

Thank you very much for your insight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.